Witcher 3

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Never played the first one, got the 2nd one collector's edition for Xmas two years ago. Couldn't get past the first town (the one with the hookers). None of the quests get marked on the map, or maybe they can be but I have no idea how.

Then I had to go searching for stuff to have my dragon sword put together again or something. At that point I gave up and just spent what little money I had porking the hookers.
If your expectation is a WoW Quest Helper type experience for your questing, the Witcher series is definitely not for you. Granted, it's been a year or two since I played (and beat) Witcher 2, but I can't recall any "Fetch me 10 bear asses" quests. They all felt meaningful and worthy of the Geralt. Therefore, the idea was you would enjoy reading between the lines, listening to the conversations, and reading quest text - the polar opposite of throwaway, shitty MMO quests that you actually want questhelper for because fuck reading all those quests.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
If your expectation is a WoW Quest Helper type experience for your questing, the Witcher series is definitely not for you. Granted, it's been a year or two since I played (and beat) Witcher 2, but I can't recall any "Fetch me 10 bear asses" quests. They all felt meaningful and worthy of the Geralt. Therefore, the idea was you would enjoy reading between the lines, listening to the conversations, and reading quest text - the polar opposite of throwaway, shitty MMO quests that you actually want questhelper for because fuck reading all those quests.
Yeah, this. The Witcher games do not hold your hand. No bleeps in minimaps, no go here and do exactly this to get something to happen. Dialogue is everywhere, even important one, quests that seem simple "go kill troll" can turn into quite large quests with impact on the story. Closest thing to the generic quests we get in mmos these days are the ones you make for yourself, trying to get mutant things to drop. Not sure there is a single quest that is only collect X of these without it spiraling into something else. There is also lots of things you can miss, because it never tells you that you can do it. Quests that can start by you peaking into walls, entire storyline changes by you taking a left instead of a right, but it rarely tells you about it while you are doing it. Stuff just happens. You will not be able to play this like an mmo, where you collect lots of quests for one area, go kill things in that area to finish all the quests at once, then just go spam turnins for rewards. Quests that only do what they initially say are few and far between.

My advice to playing the witcher games. Just go with it. Do what you see, speak with who you see, but don't obsess about doing everything. Even doing it like that will give you a 20-30+ hour game. Especially The Witcher 2, where a choice you make change a huge chuck of the game. Play it twice, then rather obsess doing it the second time around. Doing it like that will probably give you another 10-20 hours of new content during the replay.

As to the controls. Not sure about Witcher 1, but for The Witcher 2, you can download the unofficial official mod (made by a dev) that changes lots of the combat mechanics, and makes it very fluid with a controller. I installed it, and it is a lot better and works great with a controller.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Here some new pics.

rrr_img_54755.jpg

rrr_img_54756.jpg

rrr_img_54757.jpg

rrr_img_54758.jpg

rrr_img_54759.jpg

rrr_img_54760.jpg

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There was one quest in the forest where you had to collect something from those insect alien things which was a bit tedious. It was to get the best sword in the act as well if I'm not mistaken. I'm about to replay this game again in the fuck you mode so I'll let you know how that goes.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Not sure if those screenshots are blurry enough for me. Hopefully they add shaky cam to the game.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
what part are you at right now? The flashbacks happen throughout the entire game. It basically the build up to part 3. It rally takes off after you leave Flotsam.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
If you don't like it after the first few hours I doubt you'll change your mind afterward.

Then again I think the tutorial is an incredible cinematic experience.

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
Not sure I am enjoying Witcher 2, does it get better after you go through all the initial flashbacks?
No. If the story is not interesting to you now it probably won't be any more interesting later. The gameplay itself for Witcher 2 is mediocre so if the story isn't doing it for you it will be a poor game.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Yeah it's the gameplay I might have an issue with.

I am at the part where I am back in the first city after the dragon came, with the king and I have to go around the gate.

The controls are a bit wonky for looting and you have to back up and stare at a bag on the ground a couple times if you want to search it. The inventory management is godawful imo.

I guess I expected Skyrim with a central story instead of free roam. I chose poorly. At least it was only like $7 on sale I think.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
It's a pity you can't get into it since it has such a great story, characters, and atmosphere. There is a mod that one of the devs put out that supposedly fixes a lot of the combat stuff and makes playing it with a controller much more enjoyable.

REDKit

After having finished reading all the books, even the fan translations which were decent; it makes me even more excited for the wild hunt. I have a hunch of where they are going to take the ending of the game as well and I can't wait. For anyone who really digs the Wticher lore I recommend the books. It fills in a lot of the background details of the game and really enriches the experience.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
IMO this will come close to GOTY.
What's the competition next year ? Infamous, Dark Souls 2, Transistor and maybe if some of the Kickstarter RPGs blow everyone away. Of course, there's always a chance for some indie title to come out of the left field, but since most websites prefer AAA titles and still regularly put CoD into top 5s, the chance is slim.

Forgot Titanfall, that could be a good competition

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Main thing Witcher 3 has going for it is that it just has a wider install base of people who will play it than those games listed. Its a darker, grittier, crueler more adult world than most of what we see made, not that its obscene, but it isn't necessarily as censored. I definitely agree that this is GOTY candidate if not the front runner, but it needs to be technically stable and visually at the top if its class on the consoles for that to happen. We might see one of the best games of the entire generation in its first cycle of titles. Lots of hype, I hope it delivers.

Sean_sl

shitlord
New details:The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Hands-off Impressions | Capsule Computers - Gaming Competitions

Long article, here's some choice quotes:

I was extremely excited to be able to attend a live, 40 minute demonstration of the title by the studio's Head of Marketing and PR, Michal Platkow-Gilewski, and QA Analyst Lukasz Babiel, both of whom also answered questions in an open-floor forum format following the conclusion of the demo.

The portion of this100 hour epic (50 hours of side-quests, 50 hours of main quests)we were treated to takes place about halfway through the central plot. 'The White Wolf' has set off to meet an old friend named Crach, who is Jarl an Craite, part of the Skellige region - a rugged, wind-swept archipelago, the design of which was inspired by Norse and Celtic mythology.

The sheer scale of the game world -35 times larger than that of The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings- is evident even in navigating the Jarl's castle;

The world feels alive, organic and natural, to the point whereweather changes actually affect people's behaviours.For instance, if it is raining, villagers will run for shelter, and if it's deathly cold, they will seek a source of warmth.

The new economic system in place seesmerchants charge more for fish the further they are from the sea,for example. And if the fisherman providing said fish run out, they will set sail to catch some more.

Immediately noticeable is the increased speed, fluidity and responsiveness of the Geralt's swordsman skills, which play outfrom a selection of 96 new animation sequences, from parries to stabs and slices.Sign usage is also faster, able to be utilised fluidly as an integral part of your offensive arsenal.Each of the five Signs now have a primary and secondary application, i.e., the Igni fire blast can be held to develop into a flamethrower.

"The potions will work in a different way than in The Witcher 2.So now you will prepare them, you will drink them before a fight, but you can release the effect of those whenever you want.So it's not like you've drunk the potion and you have 30 seconds of boost and then it wears off. You can start the fight in the moment it suits you, andif the fight proves hard, you can just release the effect through your metabolism.But if the fight is easy, you can preserve that and use it in the next fight."

Finally, they elucidated to us that the inventory will be akin to a decidedly more traditional, classic grid system, andthe story will have a definitive end - ergo, you will not be able to continue past end-game and tie up loose ends

Lots of pictures and tons more in the link.