Witcher 3

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
I guess they gave a shit because they deleted his video showing nothing changed from the PC version to the PS4.

Xalara

Golden Squire
The explanation is easy: the visual downgrade is not really CD Projekt's fault. Back in 2012/2013 everyone thought that nVidia and AMD would have videocards built on the 22nm or better manufacturing process. Turns out TMSC, the company both AMD and nVidia use to manufacture their GPUs, had to delay the 22nm process and we've been stuck at 28nm for the past few years. CD Projekt was targeting those 22nm GPUs, and had to scale things back when TMSC couldn't deliver and AMD's and nVidias GPUs missed their performance targets by an order of magnitude.

The 22nm GPUs were due something like two years ago, they're still a year out, and CD Projekt did not want to limit sales of the Witcher 3 to people with crazy systems like Crysis did back in the day.

DMK_sl

shitlord
I think I'll wait and see whether it looks identical to PS4. I highly doubt it. If this is the case and the next few games follow this trend I think that'll be it for me and PC gaming.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I think I'll wait and see whether it looks identical to PS4. I highly doubt it. If this is the case and the next few games follow this trend I think that'll be it for me and PC gaming.
That's what I came around to a while ago - there's improvements on PC, but not enough to be worth the hassle of micromanaging.

Then be honest about it. Tell the PC gamers out there that hey, we had to scale this down - instead of holding back PC review copies and trying to cover it up. (As that developer in that article clearly referneces because Egos are at stake) Now, you have 50k PC gamers all wondering if they should blow 600 bucks on GTX 980's and upgrade their rigs for the best experience (And some of them already did, I damned near did) when all they had to say was the truth and be honest about it, and those people would still buy the fucking game, except now we all know it will run on a GTX 570 while Jenna Jameson fucks the task manager.

That's one issue. Tell the fucking truth. So I can make an informed decision on my purchase about which platform I want to play it on. Because I could give two shits about 1080p and 60 FPS and hauling my PC into the theater room and back and forth and configuring my SBZ to work with my theater, when I could have just bought the fucker on my PS4 and had been done with it.

The other issue remains. What will drive fidelity? Waiting for consoles to catch up to today's PC? Sweet so we get tessellation in 2019? Fucking sweet. They made money on Witcher 1 and 2, and if they hadn't, they wouldn't have made Witcher 3. These guys are raking in fucking cash with this new development method. Microtransactions, cutting content to repackage as DLC (This company rocks at not doing that by the way - they give that bullshit away for free, which is why I am still purchasing their game), least common denominator development... Well that's a fucking Xbox One.Meanwhile viral marketers for NVIDIA and Intel are talking about how they need to stay on top of their hardware for the best experience when they do not need to purchasejack shitabove and beyond what they had 4 years ago.

Shit, do not even release games on PC anymore then. See how it does in the console world, make a ton of cash, and if it does do just that, give us the awesome "You better take out a home equity line on your house before you buy this fucker" version and at least drive it from that perspective like Rock Star did with their PC version of GTA 5.

Either way, I still cannot wait to play it. But I wish I would have known about this crap before hand so I could have just bought the PS4 version and called it a day.
Your commentary is spot on. It's pretty obvious that they sold out big-time to NVIDIA judging by the free Wither 3 bundled with all new NVIDIA card sales. They had good reason to keep it quite because NVIDIA probably dropped millions into their lap.

DMK_sl

shitlord
There is a day 1 PC patch. I know I know. Day 1 miracle match is bullshit but it is still a reality that there is a day 1 PC patch.

Also another thing to factor in is why would the game need a 970 gtx to run at 60 fps if it's exactly like the ps4 version? You'd only need a 700 series to run ultra everything if it's exactly the same.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
There is a day 1 PC patch. I know I know. Day 1 miracle match is bullshit but it is still a reality that there is a day 1 PC patch.

Also another thing to factor in is why would the game need a 970 gtx to run at 60 fps if it's exactly like the ps4 version? You'd only need a 700 series to run ultra everything if it's exactly the same.
Not even that actually.

Could probably get by with everything with a 570.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider

Without knowing for sure, I think the day 1 pc patch is the same that is being rolled out to the PS4 and Xbox as well. It is to fix performance issues / lag spikes and fps drops mainly. Forget the link, but a reviewer that got a hold of the patch for the PS4 said that the fps drops that were in the review copy disappeared with the day 1 patch.

So no new content or features, just a fix.

However, since CDPR has made an Enhanced version of both the previous games, it would be nice if they took the "omg downgrade!" backlash now and modded in the previously removed PC features later.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I would agree. They also should have stated well ahead of time that the PC version, as of now, will have no difference. There are lots of people that are excited for this, and lots of people that probably dropped 549 on a new 980 with the free game to make sure they could run it, only to find out that this is like the PS4 version.

DMK_sl

shitlord
I am one of those people that although I needed a new PC there is no way I would have spent 3k on a set up if I had of known there was no difference. I specifically went all out so I could play witcher 3 @ 1440p on ultra and been blown away by the graphics. I already own a Ps4 and an Xbox and I will be really fucken pissed off if there is barely any difference.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Did you spend 3k just because of W3? I've only done that once in my life (EQ2) and I was burned so bad that console gaming took over for me. Call me a filthy peasant but there's a lot more I could spend $3k on instead of a PC

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
I upgraded because of this game but realistically it was just used as an excuse to upgrade from my old 685 GTX. I'm not all that bothered by this personally.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Did you spend 3k just because of W3? I've only done that once in my life (EQ2) and I was burned so bad that console gaming took over for me. Call me a filthy peasant but there's a lot more I could spend $3k on instead of a PC
Filthy peasant.

Vorph

Let's not forget that the consoles need a "miracle patch" as well, because the review versions were running at more like 25 fps rather than 30.

Not even that actually.

Could probably get by with everything with a 570.
The vast majority of 570's are 1280MB cards, can we stop with the hyperbole? That shit isn't running the game on ultra, period, let alone at 60 fps.

I am one of those people that although I needed a new PC there is no way I would have spent 3k on a set up if I had of known there was no difference. I specifically went all out so I could play witcher 3 @ 1440p on ultra and been blown away by the graphics. I already own a Ps4 and an Xbox and I will be really fucken pissed off if there is barely any difference.
1440p and 60fps is already by simple definition far beyond "barely any difference".

-------------------

There's something very wrong when I feel like I'm the voice of reason in a thread about graphics whoring.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
And more than a decade later EQ2 still runs like shit on top PCs lol...

The only thing pissing me off about W3 is the Monday release. Why not Friday? Why do they hate weekends? QQ

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
And more than a decade later EQ2 still runs like shit on top PCs lol...

The only thing pissing me off about W3 is the Monday release. Why not Friday? Why do they hate weekends? QQ
Do you even game, bro? Video games notoriously release on Tuesday, except for a very few exceptions.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Just an aside but the reason eq2 will always run like shit is its single cpu optimize, it has 0 multi core optimizations. So the higher clock freq processors (single xore) will run it the best. Terrible gamble by the company right before multi core took off. Why they never fixed it is beyond me

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
This is like an MMO thread, all this shit will go away once the game comes out.
smile.png

Vaclav

Do you even game, bro? Video games notoriously release on Tuesday, except for a very few exceptions.
And it's technically a Tuesday release like normal - just for some EU time zone, so we get it midday Monday because that's when it's midnight Tuesday in Poland or whatever it's using for the release date.