Witcher 3

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Stick with it, kill the gryphon and move past that point in the story line before making any firm decisions on your like/dislike of the game.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Stick with it, kill the gryphon and move past that point in the story line before making any firm decisions on your like/dislike of the game.
So I did that and moved through the next set of cut scenes and need to get some sleep. I only did a few side quests. I can go back to that area if I want later correct? Was level 3 almost 4 when I left. Probably should have explored more of the question marks all over the map.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
PC PLAYING FORUM BROS - disconnect your 2nd monitor from your machine. This will fix your crashing. Apparently the problem is using two monitors with different refresh rates.

I went from crashing every few minutes to ZERO crashes for the past 3 hours.

Valishar

Molten Core Raider
So I did that and moved through the next set of cut scenes and need to get some sleep. I only did a few side quests. I can go back to that area if I want later correct? Was level 3 almost 4 when I left. Probably should have explored more of the question marks all over the map.
Yeah you can always go back later from a fast travel point. I think there are 4 or so places of power in the first area which will give an ability point for each discovery. The question marks really should be dollar signs though. You get the lions share of your exp through story missions, and most of your gold and gear with those places of interest.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I finished the Botchling quest couple hours ago before randomly picking a direction, that has to be the best damn story I have experienced in a video game to date. Character backstory, voice acting, animations, all of it amazing.

Forget the name of the area I am in but second area you go to as part of the story, I went across the water to the SW, level 15+ spectres and who knows what level ghouls in that area but just south of that was a town full of level 10 deserters I destroyed piece by piece, went from level 4 to 5 doing that and got a kick ass sword
smile.png
but back to the main story for until I unlock all my skills abilities, fairly annoying I just now can make oils, and I keep seeing these green bubbles of mist that I can't interact with and I know I will be able to soon.

Can't wait for Ciri DLC or even her own game, love how she dodges etc

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
So people are complaining about floaty controls, I realize they don't like them. I'll speak to a few points that may or may not change your experience.

First, I don't feel any input lag on my system. I'm using mouse/keyboard and a xbox360 pad. Geralt's animation are definitely heavier than Ciri so it is an obvious decision to give characters acceleration and deceleration to their movement, a sense of weight. Geralt is definitely heavier than Ciri. Although I have only played her in her first sequence. Anyways I believe this is what people feel is unresponsive. This may be an issue between analog sticks and key presses for movement. With sticks you get to pick if you run or walk just the tilt of your thumbs. Using WASD for example is an on or off setting. If you aren't using a gamepad, you may want to try it before you write the controls off.

Second, Looting. If you are using a gamepad, I believe it might be a matter of technique. Lets say there is a corner in a room with lootable chests or cabinets etc. say 6 things on both walls. Walk Geralt to an equal distant point from all the lootables, and stop movement completely. Instead, now use the camera (right stick to tilt it like a gunsight (as in fps aiming) almost, point it at each lootable spam A, you will be able to loot all things with in a pretty substantial radius without touching the left stick until you need to reposition geralt close enough to the next batch of shit. I find a small tilt aiming down at say a lootable on the ground makes the auto targeting pick it up rapidly for speed looting. I use witcher sight when mass looting containers.

TLDR, fine tune your loot aim with your camera stick vs geralts feet. It works, saves lots of time, and there is a loot radius that's further than you might think.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
In The Witcher 3 floaty controls or input lag isn't character inertia, with mouse / keyboard it's when you hit a movement key and the character starts moving ~0.5s after. Activating hardware cursor acceleration improves mouse, but it doesn't do anything keyboard wise, it still feels unresponsive. There's actually a way to improve gamepad reactivity via user.ini file but I didn't see anything for keyboard. Maybe I'll just buy a gamepad and get over it.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Movement feels floaty because it is. This game has the misfortune to have release very close to Bloodborne, which is a game where everything is crisp and responsive. There's a small learning curve to your movement in that game. In Witcher 3 I've been playing for almost ten hours and I still feel like I'm not in full control of Geralt's movements, both in and out of combat.

Lowering his turn speed, stopping his forward movement when you release the movement key, and slowing down his run speed (not sprint, but run) would go a long ways towards fixing it.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
In The Witcher 3 floaty controls or input lag isn't character inertia, with mouse / keyboard it's when you hit a movement key and the character starts moving ~0.5s after. Activating hardware cursor acceleration improves mouse, but it doesn't do anything keyboard wise, it still feels unresponsive. There's actually a way to improve gamepad reactivity via user.ini file but I didn't see anything for keyboard. Maybe I'll just buy a gamepad and get over it.
If you could point towards your gamepad reactivity improvement, I'd appreciate it.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Second, Looting. If you are using a gamepad, I believe it might be a matter of technique.
There's two main problems. First--the big one--most third person games will target a corpse for looting based on the position of the camera. TW3 does not do this. The only thing that matters is the direction Geralt is facing. The problem occurs when you run up to a corpse to loot it, but overshoot because of the way animations don't cancel. Now you've gone past the corpse and can't loot, so you spin the camera around, and still unable to loot you press up on the stick to turn Geralt around, but in doing so he takes a step forward and is now on the opposite side of the corpse and once again cannot loot it. You have to take a couple steps away from it and then approach again. This is where it becomes frustrating, and if they'd just let the corpse be targeted by the camera instead it would be fine. It's especially noticeable to me because I played DA:I last week and it did looting the way I describe.

Second, just like in Witcher 2 containers/objects that are actually impossible to loot get highlighted far too often. Corpses that are too close to a wall sometimes can't be looted either.

Pressing E and pressing up on the left stick have the exact same response time for me. Geralt goes into the walk animation for a second or so before switching to run, that's the only thing I'm seeing that's 'unresponsive' really.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Those of you playing on harder difficulties, what do you do about regenerating health? Every mob I fight picks off so much of my health, and i cant meditate to restore it so I have to buy water. I Just upgraded the sword but now im left with no money no repair stuff, only enough coin for 3 waters .. are there cheaper/other methods Im missing? meditating doesnt work on the higher difficulties.
Playing on the hardest. As others have said, get the Swallow potion as soon as you can. That said, play it like Bloodborne. First fight I used the roll on was the griffin because it was so fast. Usually though, I just dodge and make sure Quen is up. Charge is suicide in most fights with more than one mob. I try to pull one at a time. Not bought food yet, just using stuff I looted. When low on HP though, a swallow + a 10 second food will get you close to max hp again. Not sure if I was lucky, but found an area with some nekkers. They had killed all the animals there, corpses everywhere. Got 20 wolf livers. That's good food. Question: To people further in, is there a cooking option later on? Think I have 40 raw meat now, which isn't very good for hp regen, but was hoping I could cook it.

Only finished the first area (everything in it) but was constantly broke from crafting/dismantle. Have yet to repair any items. Not seen the need for it at all.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If you could point towards your gamepad reactivity improvement, I'd appreciate it.
To increase the responsiveness of in-game movement when using a controller, go to "The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt\bin\config\platform\pc\", open the "platformgameplay.ini" file with a text editor and find the "LeftStickSensitivity" variable, located at the top. This setting is defaulted to "0.7", but change it to "1.0" for more responsive analog movement!
Source

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Thanks. Will try this.
EDIT: Worked really well. +1 /End edit

Just cleared a level 9 bandit camp at level 4. Was fun. But I now saw the effect of durability. Had to use my two weapon kits. Then rode to the next ? which was filled with some level 7s with level 14-16s hiding in the bushes. One arrow killed me from full hp. Tried again and killed two level 14 archers, but got swarmed after that.

Am I supposed to go to Novigrad first? I feel very underleveled here.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
If you're level 4 and near Novigrad, you glossed over some of the main story stuff. There are a lot of mid teens areas around where you get dropped off in Velen. Just wait until you upgrade your gear and gain a few levels before touching them.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Anyone here playing this game on PC with Dual Shock 4 controller ? I'm looking for opinions.
I am, Wired using InputMapper.

@Dandai - Not in Novigrad, I am in No mans land. It feels EQish now. Some ? areas I can do, sprinkled with impossible ones around them. Thinking I am going to focus on the main story a bit now to gain some levels since side quests give hardly any exp. Still not progressed in the main story since talking to Emperor.