Witcher 3

Argarth

On the verandah
Having read most of this thread, what is the consensus for a KB/Mouse player after the first couple of patches?

Floatey controls/input delays/binding restrictions/crappy PC UI, seem to be recurring themes. Wait for a major patch or the inevitable "Enhanced Edition"?

(btw, I use a Nostromo N52 (many years) and a G700 mouse, so have ZERO interest in using a controller. I believe my brain is mind-melded to the N52, and doubt I could fully enjoy a game without it.)

Sidian

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm still playing this game without any patches, I haven't even installed that GOG thing or whatever and I think KB/Mouse is just fine. Sure I had to rebind some abilities (dodge on alt? wtf is that shit, put that to a side mouse button and it's amazing) but I really don't seem to have any problems with it. I was getting the random Game lock up while in your inventory though, but then I just had to change some settings (uncap FPS) and no more problems.

I guess I could go get GOG and the couple patches that are already out but for some reason I keep thinking it'll screw up my save files somehow...so I haven't done it yet lol.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Expect to be around 6/10 annoyed with the controls about once every 5 minutes or so. If you can handle that, you're gonna have fun with this game.
Controls don't really bother me at all since I remapped the gamepad to be more like Bloodborne. Having your attacks on R1/R2 is even more important in this game since lock-on is almost useless. Constantly having to adjust the camera to face an enemy and binding attacks to face buttons don't mix. Geralt taking 1-3 extra steps with every movement he makes I got used to I guess, just like I did in Witcher 2. Little things, like not accidentally lighting a candle when I'm trying to loot shit, also help a lot too.

Was I just imagining things or was there an article claiming this game had 500 hours worth of content?
200 hours is what they said. I imagine if you do every side quest and POI, play every Gwent opponent, listen to every conversation without skipping dialogue, play on Death March and die/reload a fair bit, etc. that's probably only slightly exaggerated. Probably includes the free DLC content too; some of it isn't just cosmetic, like one of the two DLCs we get tomorrow.

I guess I could go get GOG and the couple patches that are already out but for some reason I keep thinking it'll screw up my save files somehow...so I haven't done it yet lol.
I've patched the game twice since I started playing and it hasn't done a thing to my savegame. Only save issue I've heard of at all is that on the Xbone using suspend and resume can cause save corruption. And of course 1.04 saves can't be loaded in 1.02/1.03 if you decide to rollback for any reason.

Zugarific

Molten Core Raider
I can't play the game with my goddamn 2nd monitor plugged in. Apparently there is a bug when you have multiple monitors that are a different refresh rate than the one you are gaming on(gaming monitor is 1440p 96hz, 2nd monitor is 1200p 60hz) so the game crashes on me every 20-30 minutes unless I physically unplug the 2nd monitor from my video card. What a huge pain in the ass, I can't believe that hasn't been patched yet.

Guess I'm waiting to play until thats fixed. I'm not unplugging my monitor multiple times a day just to play this.
Try hitting the windows button and P to disable one instead of unplugging

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Id say im roughly at 40-50hr(how do you find out?!) and i hit halfway marker. 1 playthrough of DAI took me 47hr so this is much longer. Some of these quest chains are absolutely ridiculous, and Ciri > Geralt! That aside the game is awesome and likely RPG of the year since im not even sure what else coming out this year will give it competition.

One thing, im tired of everyone wanting a motherfuckin favor. Fucker if i ask you to go somewhere just go! or let me kill them. Everytime, everywhere "Oh you want help well let me send you ACROSS THE FUCKIN CONTINENT on an errand!

(btw, I use a Nostromo N52 (many years) and a G700 mouse, so have ZERO interest in using a controller. I believe my brain is mind-melded to the N52, and doubt I could fully enjoy a game without it.)
I have a G13 and G600 but i prefer controller for games like this and DAI. The other setup is prime for MMOs and FPS tho, however this is just preference.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Having read most of this thread, what is the consensus for a KB/Mouse player after the first couple of patches?

Floatey controls/input delays/binding restrictions/crappy PC UI, seem to be recurring themes. Wait for a major patch or the inevitable "Enhanced Edition"?

It took me a while since the game systems are unlike any other, but I think it's alright, if you keep your distance and don't go charging into packs of enemies, you won't get stunlocked to death. UI is a pain, but manageable, but so far I don't think there have been any words about UI redesign ala SkyUI, either from CDP or modders, so I don't even know if it's possible. People don't complain about anything else because all the other stuff is excellent.

As for level cap being 70, well they have 2 expansions planned and I only see achievement for hitting 35, so I think it's more theoretical.

Evernothing

rrr_img_98417.jpg

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Is it just me or is Triss a much better character than Yennefer overall? I just can't seem to give a shit about Yennefer despite her being the overarching series "lost love." While Triss has been with you in every game.

darkko_sl

shitlord
I'm liking it so far (never played 1 or 2). Mostly doing side quests at the moment and just having fun. Decided to play on the PS4 and the load times are a bit slow. This can be super annoying while playing on the the higher difficulty due to dying more often. Most annoyed I've been so far is falling less than 10' and dying multiple times. Although I did learn on Reddit you can apparently hit O right before you hit the ground so I'll have to try that. Beginning was a bit slow but its definitely starting to pick up for me and I found myself thinking about playing it at a Memorial Day cookout yesterday. Just wanted to go home. lol

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I can't play the game with my goddamn 2nd monitor plugged in. Apparently there is a bug when you have multiple monitors that are a different refresh rate than the one you are gaming on(gaming monitor is 1440p 96hz, 2nd monitor is 1200p 60hz) so the game crashes on me every 20-30 minutes unless I physically unplug the 2nd monitor from my video card. What a huge pain in the ass, I can't believe that hasn't been patched yet.

Guess I'm waiting to play until thats fixed. I'm not unplugging my monitor multiple times a day just to play this.
So, just disabling the Nvidia Experience software suite solved the crashes for me completely without having to unplug my 2nd monitor. Dumb, but at least it works and I'm able to play now.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Somebody was praising the final Dandelion sidequest:

I was hoping the inquisitor would be the killer, because it became pretty obvious that the guy from the mortuary is something a bit more. If you go through all the dialogs of the doctor and his, Geralt mentions how it's weird that he was his teacher at university, yet the doctor is all gray while he barely aged and he played it off as an effect of formaldehyde. Then Geralt is all surprised he's a vampire - come on ... Once it was established that it was a work of human, even if crazy and dangerous one, it stopped being that scary and well, Whoreson was worse.

Is it possible to catch the suspect at the estate before the guards stop you ?

Skellige at sunset, you need to see it.

Leto Eu`Acumen

Peasant
Looking for a little advice: I am about to restart my game to play it on Death March (I'm currently level 20 in Skellige @ ~92 hours played on Blood and Bones.)

I'm wondering if anyone has opinions about a Signs Build vs an Alchemy Build on Death March difficulty. I went with a Signs build on B&B (aside from 5 points into Fast Attack, as so much of my damage still comes from my sword, and a point into the Griffon Armor school skill.) I was having a blast with the Signs build, but I'm looking for every possible advantage I can get to handle Death March.

I hear some really good things about Alchemy builds, but I'm not sure I want to give up all those sweet advanced signs...still, I'd damn sure do it if it were really worth the tradeoff though.

Is it just me or is Triss a much better character than Yennefer overall? I just can't seem to give a shit about Yennefer despite her being the overarching series "lost love." While Triss has been with you in every game.
I thought so too until recently. I played the death out of Witcher 1 and 2 (never read the books), and felt the exact same way you did. The game creators have been far more clever than I ever gave them credit for though: How do you simulate amnesia for the *player* who gets to know anything they can find on the internet anyway? By spending years never letting them experience first-hand parts of their lives from before that point! Yennifer/Ciri as the case-in-point. Until recently I felt no connection there because I'd never experienced any of it.

Several days back I locked myself into the romantic option with Triss (hell, seemed like a good idea at the time!), but now that I've played the game further, finishing the game that way feels so very very wrong that I want to restart it over completely.

Triss and Yen were actually friends, Triss wanted a romantic relationship with you and completely took advantage of your amnesia to get her in. Even during the previous games she outright lied to you on multiple occasions (even about big things) and kept critical information from you. She behaves as if she's always a little unsure where she stands with you, and so tries to romance you more, whereas with Yennifer, she already knows you better than you know yourself, you two basically have an adopted daughter together in Ciri and she's the closest thing you've ever had to a wife. Yen comes across as a (cold as) Ice Queen because she isn't trying to romance you - even though you've/we've never experienced that before in the games, Yennifer and Geralt got way past that years ago. Yennifer becomes fucking awesome in her own way once you get to spend more time knowing her. Hell, Yennifer already died once for you: While she was trying to save you, when you yourself died previous to the events in the first game....then Ciri sweeps both her adopted parents away, setting up the events of the entire Witcher trilogy.

I can't fault how anyone decides to play it, but at this point for me personally, ending the trilogy with anybody but Yen would seem terribly, horribly wrong.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I'm not some big dick swingin pro gamer or anything, but Death March really isn't too difficult. The biggest thing is you take a ton of damage (though I'm wearing all light armor so that could explain the high damage intake). Perhaps there's a better way, but I'm using a mix of signs and fast attacks as far as skills. Got the Cat school talent and all my damage comes from my sword play. I rarely use anything but Quen in a brawl. I'm able to do red fights as long as they're single pulled, but skulls have too much hp to be worth while (and they do 75% of my life after Quen).

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, there's not much challenge against single opponents as long as you don't get too greedy and only do 1-2 attacks before jumping back. There's some handful knowledge like Wraith taking 10x more damage inside Yrden, but worst enemies so far have been cramped spaces and packs of wolves.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Yeah, there's not much challenge against single opponents as long as you don't get too greedy and only do 1-2 attacks before jumping back. There's some handful knowledge like Wraith taking 10x more damage inside Yrden, but worst enemies so far have been cramped spaces and packs of wolves.
Flip side is I fought a Wyvern in a house once, bastard didn't know what to do and I just wailed on it.

I retreated into the house thinking ha fucker can't open doors, well like a mother fucking raptor he figured it out, poked his head in first and then squeezed on in.

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
Flip side is I fought a Wyvern in a house once, bastard didn't know what to do and I just wailed on it.

I retreated into the house thinking ha fucker can't open doors, well like a mother fucking raptor he figured it out, poked his head in first and then squeezed on in.
I can just imagine you saying ohh wtf.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
There's certain joy in ripping apart camps of bandits that you outlevel by 10+ levels, one swing and several body parts fly around.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Stupid Devil By the Well quest. Tried to do it at level 1, no gear or weapon upgrades yet, no potions or anything to drink. Took me 30 goddamn minutes to kill that noonwraith, jousting with it, hitting it for 10 damage at a time with my silver sword. Fought the goddamn thing for so long that it took my silver sword from 100% durability to almost broken. Probably should have leveled up a bit and came back, but oh well.

Evernothing

Had my first real actually challenging boss fights last night during
Wandering in the Dark quest.

Golem, Gargoyle(somewhat), and Nithral actually took a few tries, only because I was too slow and let him regen to full and ran out of potions on the first few attempts.