Witcher 3

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Stupid Devil By the Well quest. Tried to do it at level 1, no gear or weapon upgrades yet, no potions or anything to drink. Took me 30 goddamn minutes to kill that noonwraith, jousting with it, hitting it for 10 damage at a time with my silver sword. Fought the goddamn thing for so long that it took my silver sword from 100% durability to almost broken. Probably should have leveled up a bit and came back, but oh well.
Did you at least have Specter Oil? It makes a massive difference.

Hannibal

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm using a Igni Focused Sign build and it's pretty much faceroll, although only around lvl 12 atm.

Med Armor talent for the Intensity buff

3/3 in first tier of Quen, Fill out the first 2 tiers of Yrden for the turret and then everything else into the first 3 Tier of Igni, I don't think I'll fill out the final tier of Igni for the guaranteed burn since my Sign intensity is 100%+

Gonna fill out potions next under alchemy, Maybe bombs and will see how much damage picking up "Focus : Adrenaline Points also increase your Sign damage" and "Adrenaline Burst : Increases Adrenaline generation by 5%. Using Signs now generates Adrenaline Points" under the general tab gives.

The Yrden alt cast turret will keep mobs back while you cook everything with Igni.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Isn't devil by the well marked as lvl 3+ ? I know the game has given me a big red nope mark when I was looking into it at lvl 1.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Imlerith is f'n annoying, first bosss whos given me a problem. Everytime he gets sub 30% it just seems im not dodging fast enough.

Caliane

Nope, no oils or anything. It was literally the 1st quest I attempted in the game.
did the same. had the same results. I am not sure what the deal is.

Used the ground spell that makes it tangible, when it hits it.. But was still doing like 1 damage per hit. Forget actual value, but yeah, would have taken like 60-80 hits to kill it. "pretty sure" was using silver sword.

I died, and left, considering how little damage/hit I was doing. I had the mats for spectre oil I believe, but it calls it wraith oil or something at first, so I thought it was something separate for a while.
Came back at level 2. used the spectre oil, and basically 3 shot the thing. so don't know. Either the oil increases your damage a hell of alot more then the 10% it says, or theres something else going on there.

Hannibal

Lord Nagafen Raider
Came back at level 2. used the spectre oil, and basically 3 shot the thing. so don't know. Either the oil increases your damage a hell of alot more then the 10% it says, or theres something else going on there.
Wonder if the time of day affects their toughness. A later quest you fight a Nightwraith and the bestiary straight up says that you shouldn't fight at at midnight. So maybe the Noonwraith is a walkover at night.

Caliane

The thought occurred to me when trying to puzzle it out.

Easy kill was at night, hard failed attempt was during the day, close to noon.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I thought they just flat out don't appear outside specific periods ? There are several wraiths later where upon triggering the fight you just medidate until it shows up. However Yrden makes them take so much more damage I wouldn't be surprised if your first attempt was without it and you were barely scratching them. Basic oils give you +10% damage for 20 hits, hardly noticeable

Caliane

Checking my save now.
Level 2.
night time. no oil.
84-90 damage/hit.
reloaded, and meditated to 11 am.
no oil.. still 84-90/hit.

Weird. dunno. the game is also pretty clear about using yrden. so definitely was doing that.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Imlerith is f'n annoying, first bosss whos given me a problem. Everytime he gets sub 30% it just seems im not dodging fast enough.
Yup all the wild hunt bosses suck ass. Holy shit that last boss took forrrevvvveerrrrrr...... Make sure that you gear is appropriate level though. I think when I did them I was undergeared. This game has the strangest leveling/gear system ever. Its like they didn't know how to balance leveling and making things somewhat challenging at the same time. You end up leveling in the middle of quests/event (sometimes even a few times over in the end game) and then your gear is fucking underleveled and you can't upgrade cause your stuck in the middle of a fucking movie.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
It's like they radically adjusted xp late in development to story while slashing side quest stuff in some failed attempt at balance.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I don't understand gear either. It seems to scale to your actual level rather than the gear's level (partially at least?) Contract quests almost always yield relic gear, which is what I've been using most of the time. Crafted armor is the best and doesn't look like shit.

Izuldan_sl

shitlord
Yeah some of those contract quests are tough. I'm level 11 atm in Velen, been pretty easy go of it so far, hardest thing so far was the Wild Hunt soldier in that elven crypt you go into with Keira....but holy shit that wraith for the Jenny O the Woods contract is like 10x tougher than anything else I've bothered fighting. She hits like a truck. I'm just gonna pussy out for now and come back to it when I've leveled a bit more.

I've probably died more times in this game than Bloodborne. So many things one-shot you while you are exploring because they outlevel you substantially. Funniest was a gryphon flying over my head while I was riding Roach, and it swooped down and just one-shoted me like a boss lol. Went back to fight it, turned out it had a red skull over it, not sure what level it is but it one-shotted me again while on the ground, so I'm avoiding that whole area for now.