Wizardhawk's memorial thread (a cautionary tale of dental care and garlic)

Sterling

El Presidente
Wasn't training. Was 4-5 day humps through jungles and mountains in Columbia/Panama. Good times. And it was back in the mid 90s.

Sterling

El Presidente
Sure. SBU 26 really only existed in a Clancy novel and didn't actually run patrols out of Rodman Naval Station all through the 90s.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I wasn't referring to any units existing or not - I don't give a shit. I was referring to you Mr "I only drink my iodinized water in the field through an IV!"

Sterling

El Presidente
Was actually saline or lactated ringers and it was to avoid drinking that shit. It wasn't particularly hardcore or special lots of guys did that shit, iodine water was nasty as fuck. Just was a comment about the people being bitches about 16-19 gauge needles.

Sterling

El Presidente
The water there is bad to drink so treating it with iodine keeps you from getting sick. If you're toting around 60-70 pounds of gear while walking up and down hills for 15 or 20 miles in 110+ degree weather you're going to drink a lot of water. Like gallons a day. You can't really carry like 15 gallons of water so you carry some iodine tablets to avoid lovely diseases and that sort of thing. Doesn't change the fact that said treated water tastes fucking awful and some people preferred to use IV's to it. This isn't the intended purpose of the IV fluid and it's not necessarily how the military does this sort of thing 20 years later but it was some stuff that we did back then. Anyways the whole point was that if a 16 or 20 gauge needle is keeping you from donating plasma that's pussy shit.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
MY BLOOD IS MY OWN

Raid3_Final.gif

Brikker

Trump's Staff
I used iodine tablets to drink water straight from the Ganges. I'm still alive, so I consider it effective.

iannis

Musty Nester
Effective, yes.

Nasty as shit, yes.

I would also mainline that shit and just deal with cottonmouth. (not did, WOULD).