[WoD] Garrison Optimization Launch Thread

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Vitality-bro, grant me thy wisdom.

What trade mats are you stockpiling? If I have an alt that will take ages to hit 100, should I be using the trading post to exchange garrison resources into draenic dust and then sell it at market price? Is there anything cool I can do with blacksmithing right now other than just keep the cooldowns running? Should I drop mining for herbalism on my main? Main is warrior, mining/blacksmith.

edit: should I do anything with my primal spirits? what about those silly things I get from my forge... elemental things?

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Does the war mill item upgrade only affect quest loot as the tooltip quite specifically states? It seems like that would have been a much better initial building than the barracks. I don't know what use this ability will ever have at 100.

PS: Any quest that makes you build a specific building, you can cancel the building and get resources back + quest credit.

Vitality

HUSTLE
Vitality-bro, grant me thy wisdom.

What trade mats are you stockpiling? If I have an alt that will take ages to hit 100, should I be using the trading post to exchange garrison resources into draenic dust and then sell it at market price? Is there anything cool I can do with blacksmithing right now other than just keep the cooldowns running? Should I drop mining for herbalism on my main? Main is warrior, mining/blacksmith.
I've got 200 sumptuous fur and 200 ore for trade post work orders in the bank. A pile of dust for the enchanting work order, and a pile of pigment for the inscrip work orders.

Herbs fly out the door as soon as I get them on darkmoon card w/o cooldowns and glyphs.

Herbalism is WAYYYYYYY better than mining as far as goldmaking goes at this time. I regularly pass a couple thousand gold per day to my herb supplier. can make 1000-1500g per 200 herbs as a rough valuation (on a high pop server). Herbs are just real good right now.

Blacksmithing is a weird one. Armor upgrade consumables and high ilvl epics are where you're making your money most likely. You'll be a god once you get there but it takes some setup.

DE all your quest greens, on my server DE'ing roughly doubles the vendor sale price. + Dust is valuable as it converts into epic crystals at a fairly decent rate.

I wouldn't spend GR on dust or anything really until you get your garrison and subsequent buildings to rank 3. (It takes a lot of Gr to get there)

Tip: Try and get a feel for herb prices on your server, they should regularly drop fairly well below the average price (3g/ea is a snap buy for instance) You can make some serious cash if you buy up cheap herbs and re post them in large stack sizes at reasonable prices (buy up tons of one off herbs at 3g and repost them in stacks of 50+ at 7g ea for a quick gold doubling strat)

I'll say it again, herbs are really really strong right now.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
It is a bit puzzling that some of the buildings have passives that are most appropriate when levelling and yet it is likely you won't be able to build them until you are either done or nearly done with exp.

Personally I find the tradepost and salvage to be invaluable. Especially as I'm trying to raise the ilevel of my followers (a few of which have ilevels higher than mine...)

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Vit,

Thanks for the tips. Any idea how long it takes to go 1-600 for Herbalism if I were to re-spec my main? I have it on an alt but that's the character I only play with my wife (very very rarely). Hence why I asked about trading GR for gold... that character is easily 6 weeks away from level 100.

I'm a little confused on how inscription works -- I smash the plants apart to make cerulean ink, then that turns into the daily shit via the work orders... then what do I make with it? Darkmoon cards and just list them on the AH?

Eggplant_sl

shitlord
Later on you will get higher level followers, and you can even buy a L100 one (for 5k) when you hit L100 yourself--assuming you've been following the quest path you will easily be revered with CoE.

The high level followers can powerlevel the lower ones on the 2-3 man missions. Very important though, do not try to send a newb follower on a mission where their level is red. They will get NO EXPERIENCE. Only send them to be PL'ed on missions that con orange to them. It also gets easier to do once you have a rank 2 dwarven bunker and can start to equip them with gear, which improve their success chances.

Sure, 2k is simple, but it's actually a little over 4k to get the garrison to rank 3 and everything else to rank 2. That requires some serious time investment running around the world with HandyNotes_DraenorTreasures installed to pick up all the treasures and kill all the rares. Right now I've done almost everything in SMV, Talador, and Spires, and I'm still short a few hundred GR for my bunker and haven't even thought about upgrading the barracks yet.

I hit 100 without even setting foot in Nagrand though, and still need to go back to the L100 areas in the early zones, so I'm not too worried about running out of things to do before I get all the GR I need. It just takes an ungodly amount of time to do it all with slow ass ground riding.
I'm in the exact same boat as you and I've determined the only thing left to do is literally wait a week or two and collect the auto granted GR.

I leveled 6 alts up to their garrisons and have been just collecting them once every 2 days as well, so whenever I play them they'll have a lot already.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
One of the funny things is the total overabundance of ore. I have two people with level 2 mines and I simply cannot use the crap fast enough even with double tradeskills engineering/blacksmithing. There are almost zero level up patterns worth any skill ups so you are mostly stuck doing your daily combines and not much else. Engineering is a smidge better but even that its mostly sitting on my 40 secrets of draenor combines clicking that and the gear springs once per day.

Mining is probably the most useless skill in this expansion everybody has ore shooting out their ears at the moment with nothing much they can do with it.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It's the carts. There's nothing like that for herbs, which is a really bizarre design choice (especially since those carts can even contain ilvl 665 epics). I'm keeping one alt with skinning and another with herbalism, but mining is just a total waste of a slot.

Does the war mill item upgrade only affect quest loot as the tooltip quite specifically states? It seems like that would have been a much better initial building than the barracks. I don't know what use this ability will ever have at 100.
Anything that's flagged as a quest, which includes the 'vignette' quests for killing one-time rares and looting treasures. And yeah, it's pretty useless at 100. The xmogs are ugly as shit, and even the free seal only saves you a bit of gold/honor/apexis/GR each week. I'm probably going to dump the bunker for stables on all my alts, and maybe a mage tower on my DK (since afaik a blood DK already cannot be dazed ever and the 20% speed boost at rank 3 isn't going to stack with On a Pale Horse).

Vitality

HUSTLE
Vit,

Thanks for the tips. Any idea how long it takes to go 1-600 for Herbalism if I were to re-spec my main? I have it on an alt but that's the character I only play with my wife (very very rarely). Hence why I asked about trading GR for gold... that character is easily 6 weeks away from level 100.

I'm a little confused on how inscription works -- I smash the plants apart to make cerulean ink, then that turns into the daily shit via the work orders... then what do I make with it? Darkmoon cards and just list them on the AH?
Well you can do 1-700 in draenor now so it could probably just be a supplementary process as you level up. The herbs in ashran seem to be fairly dense but you need to be 100 to go there if I'm not mistaken. Could probably knock this out in a couple days if you're really up to the task.

I'd just make the wife pick flowers though. I'm pretty against gathering profs on the whole. I can't pick flowers while I'm on the pooper (that's where I make most of my gold so it's relevant).

Inscription: Primarily you're looking to scoop up CHEAP herbs at 5g/ea or less and convert them into pigment. You want to keep your inscription hut maxed out on work orders and you want to keep your war ink inscription recipe and secrets of inscription recipes on cooldown as well.

Making gold with inscription is multi-faceted:

Glyphs are my primary source of income and gold multiplication via isncription. I've found that the real money makers are the newest glyphs that dropped. My best selling glyph is Glyph of Energy (rogue) I sold 3 on the pooper for 1999g each. It only cost like 20g maybe to buy the herbs and craft 3 of them.

Darkmoon cards are HUGE profit machines if you can get them going correctly. All it takes to setup is a level 2 inscription hut and a follower. You don't even need inscription for this. The follower will be able to provide you with the recipes you need to get the 5 daily tokens you need etc etc.

10 warpaint (work order and daily cooldown mat) crafts a darkmoon card that are selling for 5kg-10kg each. I'm having trouble moving my cards this week so I'm a little leery of them currently.

Everything in inscription runs off of the pigment you get from milling herbs, so cutting costs on the herbs improves your profit.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Another potentially dumb question - do you gain progress towards the rank 3 achievements when your building is still rank 1, like when it's just something like "do x work orders"? I noticed my "collect 10k draenor gold" achievement is at 0.

Vorph

You do, yes. FYI, the most important achievement is the generic 250 work orders of any type one. That's what unlocks all the rank 3 profession buildings AND shares all your rank 3 BP purchases account-wide.

Mythas 5thboardnow

Silver Knight of the Realm
So what large plots are people keeping for Mains? I have a bunker thats doing shit for me right now.

Also consensus would be to ditch mining on my warrior for Say blacksmithing or inscription?

Vorph

Barracks + Stables or Mage Tower I guess. Stables is probably better for everyone but paladins and DKs who never change out of tank spec, and those classes as well if you have a gathering prof.

And yes, I would definitely dump mining. I kept it long enough to dig up 500 stones and unlock mine rank 3, but beyond that it's worthless for WoD zones. Only reason I can see keeping it would be to farm old world ore for AH profits, because it's still a fucking hell of a lot faster and easier to level 1-600 the old way than to try to do with with Draenor stuff.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Judging by the rate at which Weapon/Armor Upgrade missions pop up for followers, and the rate the shit comes out of Salvage boxes, I'm going to be stuck with a Dwarven Bunker and the burning rage of work orders producing 1 Scrap instead of something useful for a while, in order to get a full varied team to 645+.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Doesn't bunker feel somewhat mandatory both for continual upgrade of follower ilevel + the free bonus roll each week? I really wanted to use the Mage Tower since... well... I'm a Mage, but the Ogre Waygates seem to be fairly annoying and the crit buff is fancy but only for outdoorsy content like the daily zone + world bosses. Well that and the Mage Tower looks terrible in the first two levels.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Doesn't bunker feel somewhat mandatory both for continual upgrade of follower ilevel + the free bonus roll each week? I really wanted to use the Mage Tower since... well... I'm a Mage, but the Ogre Waygates seem to be fairly annoying and the crit buff is fancy but only for outdoorsy content like the daily zone + world bosses. Well that and the Mage Tower looks terrible in the first two levels.
There's really no "good" large building for a raiding main. The barracks are good for the extra 5 followers which bring diversity on the table when it comes to raid missions, but even then, after a while, you'll have everything you need maxed anyway (plus the bodyguard is outdoor only, no raid/dungeon). The mage tower does nothing that a 2mn flight doesn't do, the stables is for fancy speed mounts and gathering while mounted. The gnomish work is for outdoor same as bodyguard. So, in fact, the bunker is the only one that remains "useful" for a main due to the free extra roll.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
It is a bit puzzling that some of the buildings have passives that are most appropriate when levelling and yet it is likely you won't be able to build them until you are either done or nearly done with exp.

Personally I find the tradepost and salvage to be invaluable. Especially as I'm trying to raise the ilevel of my followers (a few of which have ilevels higher than mine...)
That sorta makes me scratch my head as well. The war mill seems most useful as something you would put down very early to get better quest gear upgrades but in practice its not going to likely be built until your garrison is rank 3 so you are already pretty much maxed level by the time it happens.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Seems like the stables is probably one of the best of the large buildings but my main at the moment is a druid and so I rarely am mounted. Probably do that on my warrior.

Vitality

HUSTLE
Seems like the stables is probably one of the best of the large buildings but my main at the moment is a druid and so I rarely am mounted. Probably do that on my warrior.
I'd be inclined to agree with you if you could use your stable bonuses in BG's and shit. But since I can't it's completely worthless to me.