[WoD] Garrison Optimization Launch Thread

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Hey everybody! I am thinking about finally hitting up WoD, and the follower part of it really appeals to me. I have done a little research about the buildings, but I was looking for some solid resources and advice from those of you who have been going hard on this aspect. Anything would be helpful as I am likely going to start up today!
My build order on my alts has differed drastically from my main, which followed guides that turned out to be wrong in many cases. I wasted a lot of GR and a fair bit of gold on shit I should never have bothered with. My current opinion on how to do it:

Rank 1 Garrison
Large- Build Barracks (not optional)

Small- Build prof building for your primary tradeskill / build scribe or enchanter building if you only have gathering profs

Rank 2 Garrison, level 92
Special- Build your mine, mine the nodes, level it to rank 2, mine the nodes again.

Large- Knock down the barracks and build a bunker instead (*** only do this if your gear is shit, say ilvl ~500 ***)

Medium- Build trading post. You may have trouble stocking it at first if it asks for a shitty material and you don't feel like spending gold at the AH. Just do what you can.

Small- Build secondary prof building if you have two production skills and no gathering. Otherwise leave this empty.

Rank 2 Garrison, level 96
Special- Build herb garden, pick the nodes, level it to rank 2, pick the new nodes (previous ones don't respawn, unlike the mine). Do the quests to get a fishing hut and start doing the daily there if you can stand fishing.

Large- No changes.

Medium- No changes.

Small- Level whatever building you have to rank 2. Assign a follower to work there before picking up the work orders each day.

Rank 2 Garrison, level 97-98
Special- No changes.

Large- No changes. If you have a barracks and you have been very good about getting GR from treasures/rares, you can upgrade it to rank 2. Just remember that you must save 2000 GR for the rank 3 garrison upgrade the moment you hit 100.

Medium- Level the trading post to rank 2.

Small- Build a salvage yard and upgrade it to rank 2.

Rank 3 Garrison
Special- Build menagerie if you have level 25 pets. Upgrade mine and garden when you unlock the achievements. Upgrade fishing hut from 1 to 3 if/when you unlock that achievement.

Large- Build the barracks if you don't have one, and upgrade it to rank 2 immediately, then to rank 3 after you do 50 patrol missions. Alternatively, if you had barracks before, then build a dwarven bunker. Go do the proving grounds bronze quest and pray for an ilvl 640 weapon upgrade. Go do all the Nagrand quests, kill all relevant vignette (not daily/blue skulls if you have Handy Notes, those can't get upgrades from the bunker) rares, and pick up any treasures relevant to your class. Once you do all of that, knock down the bunker and replace it with a stables. Upgrade to rank 3 as achievements unlock.

Medium- Build a barn or inn. Your choice. Personally I have begun to regret my focus on the barn. It's a pain in the ass, and from 6 work orders a day I am lucky to get one fucking blood. I have entirely given up on upgrading any crafted items past stage 1. Whichever you build, upgrade it to rank 2 right away. Upgrade to rank 3 as achievements unlock.

Small- You want to end up with 2 profs and a salvage yard here. If you don't have two tradeskills, then build an enchanter or scribe in the third plot. Or whatever you think you might like to craft armor with. Really doesn't matter. For upgrades, there's no reason to upgrade a building to rank 3 if you have the prof currently. If you don't have the prof yourself and want to make epic gear, you need to upgrade it to rank 3 to do that. For the salvage yard, jury is still out. Some people are claiming rank 3 actually reduces the amount of follower upgrades you get, some say it works fine. I'm about 10 boxes short from the achievement because my luck is terrible this week so I have no comment.

Remember that you get 2 of each book that can be traded for blueprints in Ashran. Use these on your large and medium buildings, never on a small (saves you 500G total).

In the end, this is what I plan to have for most of my garrisons (example is my hunter with alchemy/herbalism profs and a tannery to make armor) --http://www.wowhead.com/garrison-calc...kkOz8D-JQ4cFGo

earthfell

Golden Knight of the Realm
I have a 95 hunter, so should I use enchanter/inscrip building (these are also my profs) or take a tannery? I am really unclear on what these buildings do, do they essentially allow you to use a profession you don't have? Does a tannery act as a free leatherworker? If so, what is the point of having an enchanter building if I am an enchanter?

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
If you have a crafting profession (inscription and enchanting count as one), the prof building lets you basically have double cooldowns (or bigger if you have a high level follower assigned to it) per day. For the inscription, you can make additional War Paints, for enchanting you get Fractured Temporal Crystals.

If you don't have the profession, the building gives you the extra cooldowns (you don't have the profession cooldown), and sells you for the mats the result of most of the profession recipes, except the top end ones (basically, the upgrades).

So, in your case, the enchanting building would let you get extra fractured crystals, allowing crafting enchants a bit faster, while the tannery would let you craft leather armor up to 640 ilvl (at max building level), provided you get hides somewhere (you still need a barn or a skinner to feed the tannery).

Vorph

So is anyone else having luck with their barns? Still seeing an average of 2 blood/3 days, on an admittedly rather small sample size. That's with L100 skinner assigned, but I'm pretty sure he only affects the feast yield and does absolutely nothing for blood, just like other followers don't do anything for sorcerous ______ bonus materials. In fact, I'd say my blood rate is most likely exactly the same as my sorcerous rate.

Just got home from Thanksgiving dinner and picked up my bunker crate too: 9 scraps and a +3 weapon enhancement for 100GR spent. Fucking retarded.

Eggplant_sl

shitlord
I'm getting the same issue with the salvage yard at level 3.

Level 3 salvage: 42 missions and one +3 weapon upgrade and bunch of shit greens. And 8 draenic dust which is shit now.
Level 2 salvage on alt: 36 missions and a shit ton of +3 upgrades, two 615 and one 630

I'm going to delete the level 3 and rebuild it to level 2.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Is there any impact in follower level/ilvl when attached to a building? Either for profession yields or as a follower pet from barracks?

Narac01

Trakanon Raider
level yes, quality/ilvl no for profession buildings, not sure about bodyguard.

100 tailor for example has given me 2 hexweave instead of 1 every time so far.

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
Speaking of Salvage yard, just upgraded to level 3, first two completed missions get two big crates, open both, got an ilvl 665 mail int belt - JACKPOT!
Thinking of putting it up on the AH for 65-75k based on what's up there currently.

Edit: wtf I think my priest has hippogryph horseshoes up his ass, opened 3 more big crates and got ilvl 665 mail int helmet.

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
Fucks sake. Ive got 4 with level 3 and 1 with level 2 salvage. Had fuck all boe epics and get maybe 3 upgrades per day between all 5 characters, none of them epic ones. Also got same number of mines at same levels and nothing worthwhile from the carts either FML

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
I have a level 3 salvage yard and I find my armor/weapon upgrades to be very streaky. I'll get 5-7 rare/epic follower upgrades then a long stretch of not much but green shit then another streak of follower upgrades.

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
SoAviana's Featherfrom a quest in the inn is about the best item ever. It's basically a temporary flying mount in draenor, on a 10m cd. When used, it shoots you about 500 yards into the air, then you get a glider to "fly" to where you want. It's also usable in combat, and since you shoot up so far and so fast, it leashes mobs instantly so you can use it as an escape in the world too. Simply amazing.

Vorph

Really wish they'd left that as a toy box item, I don't want to temporarily build an inn on every damn character just to get one.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
SoAviana's Featherfrom a quest in the inn is about the best item ever. It's basically a temporary flying mount in draenor, on a 10m cd. When used, it shoots you about 500 yards into the air, then you get a glider to "fly" to where you want. It's also usable in combat, and since you shoot up so far and so fast, it leashes mobs instantly so you can use it as an escape in the world too. Simply amazing.
Just got this quest, glad it is as useful as it sounded.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
That sounds pretty fun, so I'm sure it will get nerfed to shit soon enough.

Vorph

Well, it kind of was already. At one point in beta it went into the toy box. I suppose they could slap a 4 hour CD on it or something though, if they really wanted to shit on it.

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
Reading the comments it was also useable in bgs, which I'm sure induced a lot of raging in beta, so now it's outdoor zones only.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Rolled scavanger on vivianne. Then used dancer and replaced it. G fucking G. Do not use shit without knowing how it works.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Master Plan update adds hours remaining/total to missions on your log and also added success chance (with all your followers and with what you have available/not on mission) to the main screen. Awesome mod.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
And when you're examining a mission there's a an icon (same was as the LFD icon) you can click that will give you a list of follower combinations for that mission listed by success rate. Choose an option and it auto-populates the mission for you. Super handy feature that lets you queue up missions really fast.