Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem

Fucker

Log Wizard
Looks like they're essentially re-releasing the game? All characters prior to this free update will be moved to "Legacy" server.

Hello everyone,

We will soon be releasing our first Chronicle for Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem. Chronicle I: Bloodtrail is our first Free Content Update for Wolcen and it includes gameplay improvements and new content.

More details about the content of this update will be shared as we approach its release.

With Chronicle I: Bloodtrail, we also wanted to make a complete reset of the economy. Therefore, characters created before the release of the Chronicle will be moved to a separate Game Mode called Legacy, and they will not be able to interact or trade with characters created after the release of Bloodtrail. They will, however, still be able to interact or trade with the other Legacy characters.

Since the release of the game in February, we have released 17 patches for Wolcen in order to improve balancing, performance, servers, and fix the most common and critical issues. These last months, we’ve been preparing for Chronicle I: Bloodtrail, and although we chose to remain silent, we’ve been listening to your feedback and used them to enhance the game experience and improve the foundations of Wolcen.

This update is only the beginning of a new Wolcen’s journey, and we hope that you will join us for it.

Thank you for your support.

These people are blazing idiots.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Caliane

Looks like they're essentially re-releasing the game? All characters prior to this free update will be moved to "Legacy" server.

Hello everyone,

We will soon be releasing our first Chronicle for Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem. Chronicle I: Bloodtrail is our first Free Content Update for Wolcen and it includes gameplay improvements and new content.

More details about the content of this update will be shared as we approach its release.

With Chronicle I: Bloodtrail, we also wanted to make a complete reset of the economy. Therefore, characters created before the release of the Chronicle will be moved to a separate Game Mode called Legacy, and they will not be able to interact or trade with characters created after the release of Bloodtrail. They will, however, still be able to interact or trade with the other Legacy characters.

Since the release of the game in February, we have released 17 patches for Wolcen in order to improve balancing, performance, servers, and fix the most common and critical issues. These last months, we’ve been preparing for Chronicle I: Bloodtrail, and although we chose to remain silent, we’ve been listening to your feedback and used them to enhance the game experience and improve the foundations of Wolcen.

This update is only the beginning of a new Wolcen’s journey, and we hope that you will join us for it.

Thank you for your support.
well no. They said a long time ago, they were going to do the PoE model. (sortof. boxprice+free league updates+MTX is not the same as free base game, free updates, +mtx)
This is just Season/league #2.

It is crazy that they posted this "coming soon", with absolutely no teasing of what the league will entail.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Fuck me, I really want this game to be good. It was actually moderately fun in the limited Alpha, but has gotten progressively worse ever since.

The redesign for release resulted in slogging, convoluted zones that took way long to complete (Chronicon has a similar issue for those who like to explore every nook and cranny), and boss fights that were shit balanced to the point of "are you retarded?": the first boss shit out adds like he ate Taco Bell after a long bender. Not the Alpha first boss, he was fine with his add shitting- the release boss was horrible.

I think it looks and plays fine, and the skill wheel is a great idea, but the designers have a poor understanding of balanced "fun" in an ARPG. They are close, but I despair they ever get there.

Edit - I abandoned PoE (played since beta) for War Thunder this spring, and haven't looked back. But I am still looking for that next good ARPG. I even backed Last Epoch (also still not nearly good enough).

Caliane

lol. jesus these guys.

So, after posting their "bloodtrail incoming soon." with zero preview of what it will entail...

They released it today.
Release announce:
Patch notes.

I haven't read em yet.

but just lol. how can they bungle a release so bad? GGG has only been doing it for years now.
Announce season.
Announce release date, and give item, skill, content preview to build hype, and let people plan for release..
Release on time.

Last edited:

Nija

<Silver Donator>
lol. jesus these guys.

So, after posting their "bloodtrail incoming soon." with zero preview of what it will entail...

They released it today.
Release announce:
Patch notes.

I haven't read em yet.

but just lol. how can they bungle a release so bad? GGG has only been doing it for years not.
Announce season.
Announce release date, and give item, skill, content preview to build hype, and let people plan for release..
Release on time.

It's similar to how MMOs have gone over the past 20 years. From an outsider, just a typical gamer, you'd THINK that people would learn from the mistakes of others. In reality, unfortunately, what you see is the same companies, new companies, everyone, repeating the same fucking mistakes every game.

tiresome.gif

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
I was like fuck it I'm going to give this a shot. Made a new character and you have to go through the whole god damn campaign again. So whatever you did in the last iteration is gone and you have to start completely over. I don't know if that's how seasons are in the other arpgs but it was like my whole castle was built up on my previous characters. Oh well.

Oh yeah same stupid bugs like choosing an item at completion moves your character.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Repetition is the foundation of ARPGs. To answer your question, yes, that is how seasons, leagues, whatever are handled in other ARPGs. Starting fresh is usually seen as a good thing.

Compared to how much time is usually spent at the end game, playing through the campaign can't be too much of your time. Just slap on some podcast and half ass your way through it. I've taken to using it as speed run practice.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Last Epoch actually looks good though. This has always kinda looked like ass.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
13 MONTH NECRO!

I did the grind to level 100 in Last Epoch and was all - MEH! So it is off to the next ARPG in the list - Wolcen.

They actually just released a new patch this week, but Bloodtrail is still active.

This game LOOKS good. The graphics are great, the active backgrounds are cool and immersive.

But the movement and fighting is fucking janky. The rage/willpower system is stupid, and I spend most of my skill points just trying to maximize my Rage. I typically run out of rage just as a major mob is at 10% life or less (there are Rage potions).

The gear system is okay, better than Last Epoch in my opinion, but nothing earth shattering. I did find a glove item that causes mobs to explode with 500% weapon damage that has made low HP mobs trivial.

I am enjoying it well enough, I am at level 40 (max is 90), most of the way through Act 3 (the last one) and interested to see how the endgame fares. Most of the latest patch was additions to the endgame system.

Anyone else playing/played recently? Just wondering.

• 1Double Worf

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Biggest problem at release was that nice huge tree of good shit where 3/4 of that stuff didnt work. Balance was all out of whack were only a couple or 3 skills actually worked to beat end game shit with only one that really shined. THen they went ahead and nerfed it without fixing any of the broken and underpowered other shit. Now im not sure if they ever fixed this shit or not but there was a LOT to fix lol.

• 1Like

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
So many of the skills didn't work, and they nerfed the shit out of stuff that did, and it was a convoluted mess. It was fun until you realized that many/most of your choices didn't matter. Did they fix it? That sounds like a tall order. Devs revealed to be incompetent boobs worse than AGS. Which sucks because it seemed like a lot of fun to play at the time.

• 1Salty
  • 1Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
YEah end game that they had at the time was kinda boring too. Same like 5 maps over and over.

• 2Like

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Biggest problem at release was that nice huge tree of good shit where 3/4 of that stuff didnt work. Balance was all out of whack were only a couple or 3 skills actually worked to beat end game shit with only one that really shined. THen they went ahead and nerfed it without fixing any of the broken and underpowered other shit. Now im not sure if they ever fixed this shit or not but there was a LOT to fix lol.
Right - Bleeding Edge was the skill. I made a BE char and didn't even make it through the acts before losing interest.

I THINK they may have rebalanced, not sure. I am using the bog standard spin to win build, and if you google Best Wolcen Build it is no longer Bleeding Edge.

I watched a brief video on the structure of the endgame and the guy had a rogue build that looked pretty juicy.

The end game is definitely a lot more fleshed out now, but looks convoluted. Not there yet, should start it today.

• 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
Not to mention the gold dupe and their response was to wipe everyone's gold. Smart!

• 1Like

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
I am just doing the final fight of the acts and it is retarded. Two stages, ground effects all over the place, the boss goes immune when he is most powerful/primordial (you have to damage him out of that form). Not fun at all.

Edit - Nope third phase, moar damage. Fuck off. I quit. I will try it later.

Edit 2 - MFer that boss fight is so out of context to the rest of the game lol. I can make it to stage 3 easy but there is so much bullshit flying around when Heimlock is in his ascended form that I still cannot finish it. Part of the problem is that the move skills are so janky you get stuck on the environment or it targets something between you and your cursor. Not ideal.

Last edited:

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
I played the last time in Aug last year. The game fills the same ARPG itch that D3 does for me. Play for 2-3 days, get bored and move on. I do love the aesthetic though. If Last Epoch + Wolcen artists could combine I'd be down.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Graphics was the only appealing thing it had when I tried it. Everything else was shit. Broken, janky. You shouldn’t release, even in EA when shit is that broken. Missing content sure, but not tons of broken content.

• 2Like

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Well I finally beat that fucking last boss. What a shit show. I min/maxxed my gear (rolled more gem slots and slotted a bunch of health, added more damage to my weapon) and got another level. That was a shit way to end the acts, what the fuck designers.

The endgame is novel, has an almost boardgame feel to it. It is still, at it's heart, run maps or an arena over and over, but each run is a "turn" and you build/improve stuff. It is an interesting change, at least, for a bit.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Before this thread slowly moves down into infamy, allow me one last post.

Finally made it to endgame as per last post.

My build was clearly garbage in spite of actually following some recommendations. I started dying A LOT in seemingly simple missions. I have no interest in min/maxxing my gear (I had thought I was doing it correctly but clearly that was not true). I don't understand the potions, I have over 10,000 hps but the potion does like 400 healing - I guess leech is king?

The current state of some of the more powerful mobs (and that damn final act boss) made me feel like melee chars are at a distinct disadvantage. I also do not have any interest in respeccing or starting a new character, the game is not nearly entertaining enough to invoke a fraction of the interest required for that.

So, after around 51 hours played since the Alpha build, this game, like Last Epoch, gets uninstalled and moved to the Hidden Games, never to be seen again.

Next up on the Slaanesh69 ARPG World Tour - Warhammer Inquisitor - Martyr.

• 1Like