Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i mean, i understand your point, but stats are stats. whether you put them on gear or on the skill tree, it's still the same end result. stats on the skill tree a la PoE still meant pretty much nothing. it's not a "tactical decision" to take a straight stat node. you are taking that node because it's on the path of the skill you want. having the kind of stat system that wolcen, or torchlight or grim dawn has doesn't really affect build diversity. skill and item OPTION and AVAILABILITY mess with build diversity.

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm

This is finally coming out of Alpha, and into beta.

the most recent builds have all been internal. with major reworkings of most everything. passive system, skill system, attribute, etc. everything. so, we don't really know what state the game is in.

There is a price increase with the beta. From 19.99, to 29.99. Again, since all the new updates have been internal... I have no idea if its worth getting to "save" that 10 bucks.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
The game that is there is fantastic and I still have lingering high hopes.

However, that game changed very little for, what, well over a year, maybe two.

Unless they start adding content, it is not worth the old sticker price let alone the new - there was 4-5 hours on the outside in Alpha.

The tree, the combat, the itemization, all appears pretty solid. And it looks good too. It is just a millimeter deep at the moment, unfortunately.

Hopefully they start adding content with the beta.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
ARPG space getting crowded (this, Pagan Online, Chaosbane, Torchlight, Grim Dawn expansion), I love it. Just hope a couple of the games are good.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I've had this for a while now, and got it for a friend - we are just waiting for the BETA to go live so we can co-op - Otherwise its not really worth getting too involved in just yet.

Caliane

Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem :: Gameplay Beta tomorrow!

Beta is up.
huge pastlist, which doesnt even really address everything. its basically a new game atm.

Currently, story mode is not playable.
What IS playable is a new game type.

"soldier of fortune"
"adventure through replayable random content for awesome rewards"
private or public games.

Public games will auto-matchmaker 4 player games. Which bring you into a town lobby. Where you can shop, etc. then go talk to the mission guy, and start a mission.
Its basically ARPG vermintide.. its kindof a great idea. only, bit is, wish it was a bit MORE vermintide. hordes, etc. im going to even suggest it to them.

Caliane

yeah, be advised, this is still beta. And, super gutting. story mode is not in. female player character is even disabled..
the soldier of fortune mode, only has 2 super simple maps. I am more on board with the idea, the suggesting its fully flushed out.

im not actually sure about how to form a party. theres private and public games for sure. But, you must be able to group up, and then open up the game for more to fill it up.

Caliane

Wolcen is coming out of beta jan 30th.

I didn't make a post about its story mode? I should have.

As stated, the game has had constant restarts. Back in Jun. they released the Children of Heimlock Act 1. Fully voiced, "cinematic" storyline. This is not PoE.
Steam :: Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem :: Content Patch 1: Children of Heimlock is going live!

Its hard to imagine, after years of retooling. And being in a super primative alpha state back in march... that we would see a full act 1-3, all the missing and untested promised things and RELEASE in 1 year...
But thats what they are claiming.

The current game as is, shows ALOT of promise. but, this isn't like a PoE or last epoch, where they showed their hand, and keep adding to it.

"For that reason, and as planned since we entered early access, the game price of Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem will be increased to 39,99€($44,99), this will be the final price for the game’s release in January 2020. "
This is the important thing... They are going to be asking a few retail box price for the game, at release. atm, I can't tell you its worth that. again, has promise.. but idk if it will be. I am not much of a fan of paying over $20 for indie games. And, def compared to PoE, which they are in many ways trying to copy. F2P with micro and "supporter" packs is just so much better.. i'm well over $300 into PoE..

Wolcen is currently. $29.99 -30% sale. for $20.99. 16 hours to go, as of this post.

at $21.00 I think I am going to recommend. get it now, at this price. its "probably" going to be worth it, come jan 30th.

elidib

Vyemm Raider
From the videos it looks pretty good... does it bring literally anything to the table that POE doesn't?

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah I've enjoyed what I recently played of this before I got sucked into Warhammer Inquisitor. Will be back for more of this.

turbo

Molten Core Raider
Is there going to be a persistent server?

Dicked around in lost ark and really enjoyed but waiting to see if it comes to NA. Playing Last Epoch casually and really enjoying that but waiting for server wipes before i spend much time.

Just hate the idea of a game like Grim Dawn that can be modifed and give yourself loot etc. I know its a dumb principle when you think about it stopping me from enjoying a game but /shrug my principles are mine and mine alone!

I'd be still playing Grim Dawn to this day probably had it had more of a D3/POE online theme. Game was awesome as far as class combo's and gear for the most part, really enjoyed. How does this compare to GD?

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

j00t

i haven't played it since act 1 was released last jun, but back then they had a single player character and a co-op character. the nice thing that it had that kept me interested was weapon based skills that were pretty dynamic. they took it out a while ago but it got a lot of positive feedback so maybe they put it back in, but magical staves all had a 3 attack combo and would do different things depending on the element. so like a fire staff would shoot out fireballs in different patterns, a lighting staff would hit an arc around you but on the 3 hit it would call down a lightning strike in a big AOE.

they also had THE BEST creature i've ever seen in any game... he was a big undead gravedigger that would shovel corpses at you super fast. it was hilarious

Caliane

From the videos it looks pretty good... does it bring literally anything to the table that POE doesn't?
Its more story driven for the campaign. Voiced dialogue. More like a d3, but not so retarded.

Is there going to be a persistent server?

Dicked around in lost ark and really enjoyed but waiting to see if it comes to NA. Playing Last Epoch casually and really enjoying that but waiting for server wipes before i spend much time.

Just hate the idea of a game like Grim Dawn that can be modifed and give yourself loot etc. I know its a dumb principle when you think about it stopping me from enjoying a game but /shrug my principles are mine and mine alone!

I'd be still playing Grim Dawn to this day probably had it had more of a D3/POE online theme. Game was awesome as far as class combo's and gear for the most part, really enjoyed. How does this compare to GD?

The game is primary online.

you can play offline. you can mod offline play, but can not play that offline character, online.

This has auto matchmaking for the "expeditions". hotjoin for 4 player parties to do dungeon runs. this is def something PoE is really missing.

How does it compare to GD? since we've only scratched the surface... hard to say. We just havent had a complete game to really make a judgement call.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
I played it after the last big update and SOMETHING was lacking. Felt like waaaaay too much space between portals, and the first boss fight was a kick in the balls - pure dps check with a HP pool shitting out constant adds. I will admit to quickly quitting in disgust at that point - so I didn't give it a real chance.

Hopefully they have cleaned it up a bit. I was not a big fan of the map designs in general. I am averse to lots of dead ends and back-tracking and such. I also don't just want a linear hallway, but there IS a fine balance there.

Anyway, as an ARPG core player, I have high hopes.

That box price though? Yeah, maybe not.

Edit - the one boss from the original Alpha was a ridiculous hp pool shitting out adds as well, but you could actually kite and chip away. I found this new boss to be less........forgiving. This is one of the few ARPGs I start out as a caster and that new boss was incredibly annoying.

Last edited:

j00t

yeah, the map was really... i don't know i didn't really like it either. i don't know how much they've changed it in the last half year, but yeah... i'm all for large explorable areas but it was just TOO large. it was pretty cumbersome.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

yeah, the map was really... i don't know i didn't really like it either. i don't know how much they've changed it in the last half year, but yeah... i'm all for large explorable areas but it was just TOO large. it was pretty cumbersome.
are you talking about the old open world design from like 2 years ago?
that was totally scrapped in the reboot.

new game is a much more on rails campaign ala diablo 3.

j00t

no, from the children of heimlock or whatever it was called. the build they released in jun

agripa

Molten Core Raider

They have their roadmap up on Trello.