Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Womp womp

• Siegebreaker node "Secure Parry" now gives 0.1% Health Regeneration per "Inexorable" point down from 10% Health Regeneration per "Inexorable Point". Percentages are hard.
  • Siegebreaker node "Bane of Tyranny" now has its correct value too ! Your Damage is now increased by +0.5 multiplier by your equipped Shield'S block chance instead of 50. Again.. percentages are hard !

I wonder how much leveling I can get tonight before they fix this and I have to figure out a real build...

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
I get so sick of people comparing launch Games to kings of a genre. It killed MMOs trying and failing to compete with WoW for a decade when WoW at launch couldn't compete with WoW at it was in 2010 or whenever.

This game is fun but it does have an amazing shit ton of issues. Lots and lots and lots of bugs, item progression sucks, itemization overall is meh, which might be par for the course in these archetypal/classless games but when I am still using lvl 9 gear at level 18/19 on an alt because I can't find/buy/get an upgrade? Sheesh. I can't tell if the Aspect mode sucks or blows. I keep getting stuck in place by a keystroke that I can't seem to turn off (holding shift down requires two key strokes to unpin the hero from the spot). The stash is way too limited (only one can be bought with in game gold until you finish the story) but I guess with all of their database problems, its the least of my concerns. Grats to Wolcen studios, now get to work, the clock is ticking; not on content but whole shitballs, the whatever of tyranny.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I get so sick of people comparing launch Games to kings of a genre. It killed MMOs trying and failing to compete with WoW for a decade when WoW at launch couldn't compete with WoW at it was in 2010 or whenever.

This game is fun but it does have an amazing shit ton of issues. Lots and lots and lots of bugs, item progression sucks, itemization overall is meh, which might be par for the course in these archetypal/classless games but when I am still using lvl 9 gear at level 18/19 on an alt because I can't find/buy/get an upgrade? Sheesh. I can't tell if the Aspect mode sucks or blows. I keep getting stuck in place by a keystroke that I can't seem to turn off (holding shift down requires two key strokes to unpin the hero from the spot). The stash is way too limited (only one can be bought with in game gold until you finish the story) but I guess with all of their database problems, its the least of my concerns. Grats to Wolcen studios, now get to work, the clock is ticking; not on content but whole shitballs, the whatever of tyranny.
Do you really need 2 stash tabs before finishing the Campaign? Are you a hoarder? ;p

I'll play for a bit more simply because I'd like to see how far normal gameplay can get you right now.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Do you really need 2 stash tabs before finishing the Campaign? Are you a hoarder? ;p

I'll play for a bit more simply because I'd like to see how far normal gameplay can get you right now.
You don't *neeeeeeed* more than two; I don't know what this game wants/needs, or what I will want for alts, etc. or how the game will play out. Some times items are the best/only way to transfer currency. So, to answer your question, its the latter. ;) It does speak to their DB issues, though, if you can't open up more than two stash tabs to keep track of items.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You don't *neeeeeeed* more than two; I don't know what this game wants/needs, or what I will want for alts, etc. or how the game will play out. Some times items are the best/only way to transfer currency. So, to answer your question, its the latter. ;) It does speak to their DB issues, though, if you can't open up more than two stash tabs to keep track of items.
Well, don't stress to much about it. You buy 2 more tabs for 20k each, after that though you'll need to work on building up the City to unlock the other ones, which for some reason cost 100k each (the "work order" to unlock them).

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Quin69 is done with the game, lol.

Apparently it was like the uber elder of Wolcen and it had no loot/item rewards.

Here is the broken build he was using if anyone is curious: - Wolcen Universe (stacks Wisdom for stat). Here is a similar one with some notes on gearing/skills: - Wolcen Universe

Note that this build should stay strong when they nerf the bugged shield node.

Last edited:
  • 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
You really dont, but why respec, regear and all that nonsense all the fucking time? Shelve it and just roll another build.

The endgame goes all Pathfinder Kingmaker on ya and makes you do all sorts of things to unlock bonuses and whatnot. I wouldn't want to do this on a second character!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The endgame goes all Pathfinder Kingmaker on ya and makes you do all sorts of things to unlock bonuses and whatnot. I wouldn't want to do this on a second character!
The unlocks are account wide I'm pretty sure?

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>

I think it is ok to compare games at launch in their respective timelines. I do not think it's fair obviously, and agree with you, that games in 2020 should not be compared to games launched 7 years ago (And their obvious content additions and how they are now, in 2020) However, it's COMPLETELY valid to compare working status of those games to their perspective launch dates along with workability and content provided in those respective times, and that has been an abject failure across the board with damn near everything these days.

The poor part about all of this is virtual servers are NOT expensive to deploy OR maintain - yet they are always unaccounted for as "Let's see how many people we get before we spend $100k out of the $200 million budget" which is just plain stupid and ridiculous. These companies just bought a tux for $2,000. Buy the fucking pair of socks to match it at $20.

• 1Solidarity

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
The poor part about all of this is virtual servers are NOT expensive to deploy OR maintain - yet they are always unaccounted for as "Let's see how many people we get before we spend $100k out of the $200 million budget" which is just plain stupid and ridiculous. These companies just bought a tux for $2,000. Buy the fucking pair of socks to match it at $20.

I'm not defending these dudes specifically cause they obviously suck, but this also isn't really true.

Elastic/scaling solutions via AWS and similar cloud platforms are NOT cheap. They are so fucking expensive in fact we're currently in the middle of watching a lot of business retract their applications and infrastructure back to on-prem because the costs are out of control.

That's not even getting in to the reality of these guys probably having no idea how to even utilize such a solution. This game is ~5 years old at this point, so I'm sure whatever multiplayer backend they are using is in no way designed to scale elastically, and I very much doubt they the resources or knowhow to make it work given that they can't even seem to understand basic math in their own game.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Servers were not the issue, it was their shitty database infrastructure that keeps breaking.

• 1Solidarity

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The stash bug alows item duping too:

It's happened to me each time I change acts in the story. It doesn't delete it but it resets to how it was on like day 1. So now I take all the stuff i want to keep out of my stash and put in inventory before killing final act boss. Also, hilariously enough, this dupes any items from the "reset" that I move into my inventory. It makes no sense.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I'm not defending these dudes specifically cause they obviously suck, but this also isn't really true.

Elastic/scaling solutions via AWS and similar cloud platforms are NOT cheap. They are so fucking expensive in fact we're currently in the middle of watching a lot of business retract their applications and infrastructure back to on-prem because the costs are out of control.

That's not even getting in to the reality of these guys probably having no idea how to even utilize such a solution. This game is ~5 years old at this point, so I'm sure whatever multiplayer backend they are using is in no way designed to scale elastically, and I very much doubt they the resources or knowhow to make it work given that they can't even seem to understand basic math in their own game.

I get it but we are talking about a game, not business applications and scaling over the course of an enterprise correct? (For an Indie)

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Servers were not the issue, it was their shitty database infrastructure that keeps breaking.

It was an issue at first:

Update, 02/13/2020, 4:00 pm PST: Wolcen's developers have given another update recently. "Servers and server capacities are currently being deployed and will be fully functional in a few hours," reads a Twitter update. "We're also preparing a hotfix for progression reset issues. We will push that hotfix in a few hours as well."

Their database was a mess (3rd party partner) but the capacity issues overloading servers break Db's.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There is certainly some evidence that this is the case (notably the Bank building) but I wouldn't want to assume anything at this point.
City status is account wide. If you make a new character and pick the adventure mode to start off with, you are in the City you built and can just run Mandates / Expeditions to lvl / gear up, while still doing City stuff.

• 1Like

Nija

<Silver Donator>
There was a time when I was the same way that I think many of you are currently. The state of the game doesn't matter so much as the newness, the excitement of release, the unknown things. The overpowered builds, the missing decimal point that lets you just demolish content. Some seek that out and that's the enjoyment that they get out of it.

Somewhere in the past 10-15 years, I guess it was working at startups, I replaced that stuff with my actual job. That old saying, don't try to turn your hobbies into careers, because it'll lose the fun is correct. Now I am perfectly OK to only play the console version of games. They typically come out later, receive patches later, and are, generally, more stable. I also avoid 90% of the console games at release. I don't seek out that release excitement and energy. My schedule is so sporadic I can't even participate in it. I'll buy things A) After release B) After most bugs have been fixed and C) On sale. I'm OK with that.

I'll play this game if it has a console release, for example.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 3 users

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Only time release hype type stuff really matters to me is for multiplayer games where picking it up a year down the road means you don't get that multiplayer experience.

• 1Like