Wonder Woman 1984 (2020)

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
I am going to pirate this, write a negative review somewhere, and then delete it without ever having watched it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Goatface

Saw Julie at a con around 91ish, wasn't bad for near 60.

1608854513853.png

• 1Solidarity

Goatface

guess with covid drivein business is still going, 1st time is like 60 years, local place is still open, will be showing ww84 twice each night at 6 and 9pm. temps going to be 18/6 and 34/17 this weekend.

spronk

FPS noob
goes live in 2 hours (12pm ET/9am PT) will be watching with family. rewatched the first one last night, everyone enjoyed it (few people never saw it) although really its just a movie pulled along by Gal Gadots charm and beauty, which I expect the second one to basically boil down too as well.

HBO has been giving out fuck tons of trials in everything, like pretty much anything you buy from best buy in the last few weeks gives a 14 day HBO max trial

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
Holy fuck this movie is... well it's not terrible but it is not good. That cat girl was fucking terrible and the cgi is so overt and obvious that it was extremely jarring to watch. The plot is serviceable but weak and the acting was all over the place. The fight scenes ranged from mildly amusing (the one near the beginning) to full on cartoon garbage.

Big step down from the first film. 3/10

**deletes movie**

• 1Solidarity

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Holy fuck this movie is... well it's not terrible but it is not good. That cat girl was fucking terrible and the cgi is so overt and obvious that it was extremely jarring to watch. The plot is serviceable but weak and the acting was all over the place. The fight scenes ranged from mildly amusing (the one near the beginning) to full on cartoon garbage.

Big step down from the first film. 3/10

**deletes movie**
The only real question is will my 13-year old like it?

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
The only real question is will my 13-year old like it?
Yeah. Probably. At least the first half.

It's not as bad as I was expecting, especially the Cheetah part, which ended up being maybe 5 minutes of its exhausting runtime of around two and a half grueling hours.

There's parts of this movie that are great. But the editing... Pacing... Plot contrivance and movie magic hand wavering - "you didn't notice, but your brain did" happens a lot. Quite often, actually, especially if you're not paying attention. Which is going to happen because it's so damn long.

I was asked multiple times "how does this work" or "what? How does that make sense?" I paid attention, because that's what I do in movies, and even then a lot was really glossed over. Not in a "leave it to your imagination" kind of way, but blatantly omitting information that would have been useful to the viewer. Though ultimately none of the plot matters.

This really felt like.... 5, maybe 6 episodes of a TV series more than a Wonder Woman *movie*.

80's representation was light-years beyond what Captain Marvel did with the 90's.

Pedro Pascal is a bit overacted, and he seems to dominate when it comes to screen time. I was surprisingly not annoyed by Kristen Wiig. At least up until the comically bad last act.

There's some preachiness in it, but it doesn't linger or fist fuck each concept relentlessly. "I don't like guns," OK, I get it, one killed your 'fitness coach', but you're impermeable and faster than bullets, so it comes across as tone deaf or mildly ignorant. "The wall" - massive fucking eye roll. Power hungry ignorant leaders. The Middle East. Big oil. Nukes. Star Wars. Mass media. Girl power. Oh, but there was loads of misogyny. Up until Cheetah assaults and nearly murders a drunk idiot for cat calling her, bit of irony there.

There's a lot of fan flare. Invisible jet. And her learning to fly taking shots directly from Christopher Reeve's Superman. Lynda Carter credit scene. Which are nice, but they really fucked with the flow of the movie overall. Sadly, some of those scenes are the best visually, while there's not a lot interesting going on for the rest of the movie. Probably the most accurate thing they got about the 80's is how trashy everything was. I don't know why that's what I remember about the 80's...

There's a lot wrong or just not right with this movie, but it's not like I hated it. It's... Fine, I guess. 2/5.

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
i fucking wish that was me, i think Linda Carter was one of my first boyhood crushes, i was about that age. between her and Sabrina from Charlie's Angels. i was a happy lil boy. i think my dad was big into her too. what normal man wouldnt be?

For me it was Julie Newmar. I had no other exposure to anything else besides Batman TV.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
lol, i think im too old for this story. watching a bunch of chicks all happy together without men on Bitch Island is as preposterous as a bunch of dudes with no chicks on Sausage Island just being chill with each other. are they all gay?

-edit #1
slowly working my way through this. this isnt a serious movie, is it? this is like watching Jingle All the Way without Arnold. thats not a compliment.

edit #2
Kisten Wig is 47 yrs old and she looks it. trying not to spoil anything. people watching this ,know what im talking about.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I was asked multiple times "how does this work" or "what? How does that make sense?" I paid attention, because that's what I do in movies, and even then a lot was really glossed over. Not in a "leave it to your imagination" kind of way, but blatantly omitting information that would have been useful to the viewer. Though ultimately none of the plot matters.
What did you expect from a movie that has a character that can somehow fly a modern fighter jet yet has no idea what radar is?

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
What the fuck even is the plot of this movie? What is Mando even trying to do? He immediately gets his oil empire and then just continues taking wishes from people because....reasons? When it's very obviously killing him? Why does he do anything past his immediate wish from the business partner, he's already won?

Fight scenes are all pretty terrible. Hero immediately loses powers is the most tired and old shit in existence, and they just dive right in to it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Bone-itis guy from Futurama finds the Monkey's Paw from the Simpsons, the movie:

ThatGuy.jpg

• 2Like
  • 1Double Worf
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
What the fuck even is the plot of this movie? What is Mando even trying to do? He immediately gets his oil empire and then just continues taking wishes from people because....reasons? When it's very obviously killing him? Why does he do anything past his immediate wish from the business partner, he's already won?

Fight scenes are all pretty terrible. Hero immediately loses powers is the most tired and old shit in existence, and they just dive right in to it.
"Why stop there, when you can have more?" He says this the first time you see him in an advertisement. Also, with more wishes, he states he can take back his health. Which... he does at the end.

Loosely hitting most of the deadly sins. Vain glory, being overconfident when he's actually a loser. Greed, that one should be obvious. Covetousness, wanting what he thinks everyone else has. Lust for power. Envious for the power and respect of world leaders, which is hit on over and over. Wrath, or what he does to those who wish. Sloth, or too lazy to put in the actual work - get rich quick, "with no effort required on your behalf".

Which makes sense when you look at it from a "god's perspective". The crystal was imbued with Napi, the trickster demi-god of the Blackfoot clan - think Loki. The first movie was about the God of War.

Also, she survives getting electrocuted because her father is literally Zeus, the Greek god of the sky, which includes thunder and lightning. Pretty sure that comes with immunity to lightning, and she's shown literally riding the lightning a scene or two earlier.

Think the first Avengers movie, but if it was done very, very poorly.

Thats not to say any of this makes the movie any better.

• 1Like