Wonder Woman 1984 (2020)

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Man of Steel was better than this. Batman V Superman might have been...I haven't watched that since I made the mistake of seeing it in theaters.

Only my opinion: I thought Man of Steel was great, some very memorable scenes, a few cringe things at the end, the weird flex by the general, lol.

For BvS... I remember the night I saw that movie, we went out and a lot of people had seen it, and everyone was just like "what the fuck was even happening?" because the editing was bad and it was somewhat hard to follow. Kind of like Tenet, where the movie itself is fine but its just too confusing to enjoy. After a couple of rewatches, BvS makes perfect sense, and the directors cut added a lot to fill out some of the scenes. Some of the worst parts were Louis Lane just showing up everywhere. Lex was a strange choice of actor. People were worried about Batfleck but he was totally fine in the movie. It's a legitimate movie, and done well, with honestly very little cringe at all. On a ten point scale I would give BvS a 7.5, WW2017 a 9.5, and WW1984 a 4. Tenet a 7.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Only my opinion: I thought Man of Steel was great, some very memorable scenes, a few cringe things at the end, the weird flex by the general, lol.

For BvS... I remember the night I saw that movie, we went out and a lot of people had seen it, and everyone was just like "what the fuck was even happening?" because the editing was bad and it was somewhat hard to follow. Kind of like Tenet, where the movie itself is fine but its just too confusing to enjoy. After a couple of rewatches, BvS makes perfect sense, and the directors cut added a lot to fill out some of the scenes. Some of the worst parts were Louis Lane just showing up everywhere. Lex was a strange choice of actor. People were worried about Batfleck but he was totally fine in the movie. It's a legitimate movie, and done well, with honestly very little cringe at all. On a ten point scale I would give BvS a 7.5, WW2017 a 9.5, and WW1984 a 4. Tenet a 7.
I absolutely love Man of Steel. I have a Superman purist buddy that hates it, but he's so fucking in love with the Donner take that he can't see it as its own thing. I'll see if I can track down the director's cut of BvS. Wonder if its on HBO max?

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I really thought Kristen Wiig was going to be the worst part of this movie and I was so wrong. She wasn't horrible?!? I can't believe I'm saying that.

I would have been happier if the big bad guys motivations had been more fleshed out and made some sense. They took a movie over two hours running time and then gave the guy one 30 second flashback scene to try and show why he is ready to destroy the world. To me it felt totally unearned. And they really built up to that scene too. All I kept wondering as he is destroying the world is why would he ever do this.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I really thought Kristen Wiig was going to be the worst part of this movie and I was so wrong. She wasn't horrible?!? I can't believe I'm saying that.

I would have been happier if the big bad guys motivations had been more fleshed out and made some sense. They took a movie over two hours running time and then gave the guy one 30 second flashback scene to try and show why he is ready to destroy the world. To me it felt totally unearned. And they really built up to that scene too. All I kept wondering as he is destroying the world is why would he ever do this.
Instead of the Themyscira scene, they should have done a 15 minute clip of Napi being this fucked up genie and getting his essence trapped in the mcguffin, rather than the beating around the bush Indiana Jones museum bullshittery and Wonder Woman being disturbed by something from the gods. Her getting scared and lacking confidence is one of the weakest parts of the film, it's just too much out of character. I mean, she bullfisted the fucking God of WAR in the last movie. What's she got to be scared of?

Speaking of, where the fuck was her sword?

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Sterling

El Presidente
Yeah I feel like Man of Steel gets lumped in with the real bad shit DC has done unfairly. It's at least a cohesive and coherent movie. It might shit on the Superman Mythos but it's at least a movie that progresses logically.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Watched the movie with my g/f. A lot of parts where both of us just looked at each other with a "really?.." kind of moment and kept going. They could cut out a good 3/5 of the movie and it still make sense.

I just feel like Im getting old, or the agenda is getting pushed too hard at this point. White men are bad. Cat callers are bad. Women are great. etc. etc. I mean.. really I just want a super hero movie without all the not-so-passive teaching moments. Good for little girls I guess? maybe thats the point?

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Instead of the Themyscira scene, they should have done a 15 minute clip of Napi being this fucked up genie and getting his essence trapped in the mcguffin, rather than the beating around the bush Indiana Jones museum bullshittery and Wonder Woman being disturbed by something from the gods. Her getting scared and lacking confidence is one of the weakest parts of the film, it's just too much out of character. I mean, she bullfisted the fucking God of WAR in the last movie. What's she got to be scared of?

Speaking of, where the fuck was her sword?
The sword broke in the first movie. Because the Godkiller wasn't a sword it was WW herself.

nevergone

Low IQ Vegan Pacifist
<Gold Donor>
Watched the movie with my g/f. A lot of parts where both of us just looked at each other with a "really?.." kind of moment and kept going. They could cut out a good 3/5 of the movie and it still make sense.

I just feel like Im getting old, or the agenda is getting pushed too hard at this point. White men are bad. Cat callers are bad. Women are great. etc. etc. I mean.. really I just want a super hero movie without all the not-so-passive teaching moments. Good for little girls I guess? maybe thats the point?

I agree with you - there was a lot of overt social messaging and virtue signaling included in this movie; but to be honest, I kind of expect that from Wonder Woman - it's all about female empowerment and it's supposed to be a fantasy for girls. My biggest gripe with the film was the way it just starts devolving into this surreal abstraction as more and more wishes get granted - it reminded me of what happened in "Mother!" once things started falling apart from an allegorical standpoint. Even that can be a fine movie experience, the whole "we're descending into madness and everything is unraveling" trope but I don't think that's what they were going for with WW84.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
She has a replacement sword in BvS so she must get it somewhere between 1984 and 2017. Don't worry, that will be the subject of the next amazing movie in this franchise.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
It's a pretty straightforward comparison and not exactly subtle. The fact that you missed it leads me to believe you are, in fact, a retarded libcuck faggot.

🍴💩⚰️🏳️‍🌈

lol straightforward how? Chuck just spent all night attempting mental gymnastics to get there and only managed to face plant. If it's straight forward lay it on us. Short of a statement from the writer saying it, I can't even fathom what you think you're seeing. Are pedro's hands small or something? Was it the very common 80's hairstyle?

You need to consider the fact that you might be a miserable cunt incapable of enjoying anything good in the world.

• 1Garbage

nevergone

Low IQ Vegan Pacifist
<Gold Donor>
lol straightforward how? Chuck just spent all night attempting mental gymnastics to get there and only managed to face plant. If it's straight forward lay it on us. Short of a statement from the writer saying it, I can't even fathom what you think you're seeing. Are pedro's hands small or something? Was it the very common 80's hairstyle?

You need to consider the fact that you might be a miserable cunt incapable of enjoying anything good in the world.

No no, I think I'd much rather go with you being a retarded faggot.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I agree with you - there was a lot of overt social messaging and virtue signaling included in this movie; but to be honest, I kind of expect that from Wonder Woman - it's all about female empowerment and it's supposed to be a fantasy for girls. My biggest gripe with the film was the way it just starts devolving into this surreal abstraction as more and more wishes get granted - it reminded me of what happened in "Mother!" once things started falling apart from an allegorical standpoint. Even that can be a fine movie experience, the whole "we're descending into madness and everything is unraveling" trope but I don't think that's what they were going for with WW84.

I agree with the first part you said. I think it's a lot of the reason people are seeing imaginary boogeymen. As for the second part, I'm not sure if your issue is with the wish granting mechanic or if you think mass wish granting couldn't turn out that way.

One of the things that bothered me was the Monkey Paw reference. They said it and then everyone was like "Oh yeah OK". But in 1984 was that story that well known? Maybe I was just too young in 1984 but I'd never heard of it until the movie in 2000s. Apparently there were movies in the 30s and 40s which would have been too late for Trevor to know about.

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
I dont get the hate Man of Steel gets. I thought it was great.

This was bad on so many levels, not to mention the absolutely HAM FISTED girl power message everywhere, like over the top girl message. Are you that insecure that you cant make a film with a female main character without making EVERYTHING about how girls can do everything?

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Daidraco

I agree with the first part you said. I think it's a lot of the reason people are seeing imaginary boogeymen. As for the second part, I'm not sure if your issue is with the wish granting mechanic or if you think mass wish granting couldn't turn out that way.

One of the things that bothered me was the Monkey Paw reference. They said it and then everyone was like "Oh yeah OK". But in 1984 was that story that well known? Maybe I was just too young in 1984 but I'd never heard of it until the movie in 2000s. Apparently there were movies in the 30s and 40s which would have been too late for Trevor to know about.
Thats really the issue though. There is a bunch of stuff that the audience is just expected to know, or fill in on their own. If you dont ask questions, or care about the who/what/why of it all, then the movie is watchable. But as soon as you do, the whole thing falls apart. Much less I spent entirely too long trying to figure out if the bitch is flying or falling for way too long.

At this point, I'm more concerned with how the people in charge of green lighting / funding these movies have became far more wealthier than I.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member

This was bad on so many levels, not to mention the absolutely HAM FISTED girl power message everywhere, like over the top girl message. Are you that insecure that you cant make a film with a female main character without making EVERYTHING about how girls can do everything?
Man of Steel is a great movie, it just fucked Superman over and turned Pa Kent into a fucking asshole.. the movie itself is very well done.

• 1Solidarity

Daidraco

One of the things that bothered me about the over the top parts... they never really taught anything. They were just over the top with no avenue of relief. The cat calling, the party with everyone vying for attention, the man child buffoon that was Steve. All of it just unnecessary.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I still didn’t feel like Wonder Woman herself was written as girl power. Pine and Gadot do have chemistry and that’s about all that works.

then again, I probably have a crush on Gadot. Few actresses manage to pull off strong woman without losing femininity and not falling into “bitchy tough girl,” and she’s done it anytime she’s on screen imo.

oh god. I may finally be a simp for someone.

it’s still better that the cuck-cut of justice league. Will wait and see if the Snyder cut tops it.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users