Wonder Woman 1984 (2020)

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Did he also wish to "become the stone"? I want to hear exactly what he said but not bad enough to actually fire the movie back up and find out. I do remember when he said the words in the movie I immediately thought that any tricky wish stone is going to say "ok mofo, you want to become the stone then here you go..." but that probably wouldn't have worked out so well for the remaining 2 hours of movie runtime.

He did.

It was dumb. Almost as dumb as Lassoing a lightning bolt

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Something moving near the speed of light through atmosphere is going to be creating nuclear explosions as the object/person compresses and fuses hydrogen molecules together. Not spitting off charges of electricity. Couple multiples of the speed of sound would be baking at 600°F.

But, fuck science.

I was fine with the lightning lasso, she's the daughter of Zeus.

• 1Like

Caliane

lol yup thats pretty bad. I cant think of anything good about that version of the flash. His suit looks like a goddam robot. And his legs move like they arent attached like normal human legs.

dunno why effects studios always think superspeed needs sparklies. I don't recall a lot of sparklies in the best super speed scene of all time
The Flash is going to have lightning. its part of his powers.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The Flash is going to have lightning. its part of his powers.
Right but the CW Flash superspeed looks better than the big budget DCEU Flash superspeed. It's probably like 100% greenscreen, whereas the DoFP Quicksilver scene was a mix of green screen and practical.

• 1Like

Caliane

Right but the CW Flash superspeed looks better than the big budget DCEU Flash superspeed. It's probably like 100% greenscreen, whereas the DoFP Quicksilver scene was a mix of green screen and practical.
yeah. Although the technique is not really the problem with that Flash clip. its the artistic design. I'll break it down in a bit. heading out the door atm.

[edit:bleh. thats too much work, I don't care enough to bother.]

Last edited:

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
He did.

It was dumb. Almost as dumb as Lassoing a lightning bolt
I'd say dumber, as she is the daughter of Zeus wielding a lasso forged by Hephaestus. Lassoing a lightning bolt seems pretty much in the wheelhouse of that thing.

• 1Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
The person who designed the DCEU Flash running style literally molded it from speed ice skating. Why it looks so retarded.

• 1Like

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
The lasso shit is so fucking dumb. I cant think of an appropriate analogy, any other superhero where their signature thing was done so badly. Its like if they did a spider man movie but made the web shooters somehow so gay that every time spiderman shoots a web, the audience cringes. Its like if they made a flash movie where every time the flash runs fast, the audience cringes.

That's a good point. I can get past lassoing lighting bolts and it being her variable length kung fu chain whip. But did she ever even use it to make anyone tell her the truth? That's the signature fucking power of the lasso of truth. To use your examples, it would be like spider man shooting webs that weren't sticky or flash with all the lightning bolts moving at normal speed.

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I mean Ezra Miller probably runs like a fucking twink though, so it fits.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'd say dumber, as she is the daughter of Zeus wielding a lasso forged by Hephaestus. Lassoing a lightning bolt seems pretty much in the wheelhouse of that thing.
I will buy the whole " She is capable because Zeus" argument.

How does she suddenly become light as a feather??? How does an RPG rocket carry her?? An RPG Rocket would not have the power to carry her weight. If anything she is heavier than the average human being( God like Muscle and all). Call Myth Busters. I want a test as to how much weight an RPG Rocket can actually lift beyond its own weight.

Yes....the movie was silliness fun. Nobody could possibly take this seriously within our realm of understanding in physics.

• 1Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Better question is if she can outrun random cars/trucks, why the hell did she even need a rocket to get in front of them?

• 1Worf

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I will buy the whole " She is capable because Zeus" argument.

How does she suddenly become light as a feather??? How does an RPG rocket carry her?? An RPG Rocket would not have the power to carry her weight. If anything she is heavier than the average human being( God like Muscle and all). Call Myth Busters. I want a test as to how much weight an RPG Rocket can actually lift beyond its own weight.

Yes....the movie was silliness fun. Nobody could possibly take this seriously within our realm of understanding in physics.

Don't need MythBusters for this. The rocket would be way off-kilter, and she'd drop to the earth while the rocket looped her and itself around wonkily. Best she could do is immediately stabilize it pointing up at ~30 degrees above horizontal like a skateboard and have it slowly descend to the ground.

Sterling

El Presidente
Because people will think it's super cool and badass if she lassos a bullet or a rocket and uses it to fly slightly faster than she was running to begin with.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Nerding out over physics and realism seems petty and redundant considering the story, writing, and special effects sucked ass.

• 1Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Too lazy to do the math, but an RPG fires a 2-7 kg grenade up to 300m/s, assuming minimal, drag. You'd also have to assume she's adding her own thrust vector jumping while tethered.

T/W=1/(L/D)

Thrust-to-weight equals 1 over lift-to-drag.

It's silly, which is why it's fun to dissect.

Last edited:

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
Was that scene worse than Statham flipping a car to remove a bomb from the bottom of it using a crane hook in The Transporter 2?

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Pathetic
Reactions: 2 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Nerding out over physics and realism seems petty and redundant considering the story, writing, and special effects sucked ass.

Or that its a super hero movie and complaining about things like how much weight a rocket can lift while there are people that can fly and carry buildings is pretty retarded

• 1Like

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Patty Jenkins directed the first movie though... she is clearly capable of making a good film. The overall plot device of this thing was just so weird as it tied into nothing else in the DCU and was not even consistent with itself (not to mention the world nearly ending in 1984 and no one remembers...)

The setting also made no damn sense. Stranger Things incorporates a lot of the 80s culture into the storyline in a way that makes it feel authentic. (Starcourt Mall being an excellent example). This movie really had nothing about it that needed to be 1984...it could have been set in modern day with no real change to the overall plot.

The issue was Jenkins was given a ton more creative control and she wrote this screenplay. This was her first major picture writing credit in a decade--and she had like 5 other writers trying to fix her abomination of a script. (The first WW was not written by her)

Essentially she's a competent director who also thought she was a good writer...and she's not. She's a bad writer. And this movie is the embodiment of that. Hot fucking garbage writing. Even the dialogue is so god damn cringe..."Have you ever been in love?" (She asks on a lunch break with a work colleague she JUST met 5 minutes ago..lol)

• 1Like