Wonder Woman 1984 (2020)

Sterling

El Presidente
I mean comics were selling millions of copies in the late 80s/90s. That's pretty much main stream as pop culture stuff goes. Xmen was a popular cartoon as well. unless you're conflating mainstream with just old people.

Goatface

comics were still seen as nerd shit. How many 18-35 year old chicks knew who Wolverine was back then? they were certainly never a measurable demo of all of the comics shops i went to back then. spent almost the entire 90's on college campuses and even there was rare to see X merch. would even think punisher would have ranked higher with normies back then.
not saying cap or punisher out sold wolverine/x comics, but as brand names they were much better known across the board.
also no other hero is on Spiderman's level, he is worldwide god tier money maker.

• 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Punisher t shirts were probably more popular than the comics. I think they were like those faggoty che guevera shirts. Maybe 10% of people even knew who the fuck they were wearing.

• 1Worf

Sterling

El Presidente
I mean they made a popular XMen cartoon that still gets referenced for it's theme song regularly, and without those first xmen and spiderman movies you don't have an MCU.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
But spidey was Sony and xmen was Fox. I dont even think any characters mattered. It came down to robert downey jr . No RDJ. No MCU.

• 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente
But spidey was Sony and xmen was Fox. I dont even think any characters mattered. It came down to robert downey jr . No RDJ. No MCU.
That's why the MCU succeeded. But it wouldn't exist at all if there weren't successful comic book movies before then.

• 1Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 users

Nester

Vyemm Raider
would still say Cap > Wolverine when it came to the mainstream.

Everyone collected Wolverine, Only like one dude I knew collected Cap.

Cap was as lame as Iron man in the 80/90s - Was not even cap. Was US AGENT lol
Punisher was more popular than CAP imo.

Xmen were everything in the 90s

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Sterling

El Presidente
Also, there was Xmen arcade game, there was a shitty captain america and avengers one too, but the xmen one was super popular and eventually had that crossover game with streetfighter.

• 1Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
That's why the MCU succeeded. But it wouldn't exist at all if there weren't successful comic book movies before then.
As far as Marvel itself is concerned. Blade really is what led to the MCU. It was the first successful Marvel movie. I mean that as in not made by Fox or Sony.

• 2Picard

Sterling

El Presidente
As far as Marvel itself is concerned. Blade really is what led to the MCU. It was the first successful Marvel movie. I mean that as in not made by Fox or Sony.
I'm sure we'd have had Marvel comic movies, but I also don't think it would necessarily be 2 quarter billion dolllar movies a year.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
I'm sure we'd have had Marvel comic movies, but I also don't think it would necessarily be 2 quarter billion dolllar movies a year.
What I mean is that Blade basically saved Marvel and superhero movies. The Superhero genre was basically dead at the time and Marvel was in a bad way. Blade doing so well led to Marvel raking in cash by licensing out their most popular properties. Which in turn led to them turning to Iron Man, who wasn't really that famous a character, and look where we are now? I can't even imagine what an MCU would have looked like if Marvel had all their shit at the beginning. You know they would have done X-Men before they did Avengers.

• 1Garbage

Sterling

El Presidente
What I mean is that Blade basically saved Marvel and superhero movies. The Superhero genre was basically dead at the time and Marvel was in a bad way. Blade doing so well led to Marvel raking in cash by licensing out their most popular properties. Which in turn led to them turning to Iron Man, who wasn't really that famous a character, and look where we are now? I can't even imagine what an MCU would have looked like if Marvel had all their shit at the beginning. You know they would have done X-Men before they did Avengers.
Yeah, but I think they got real lucky too. RDJ, Hemsworth, and Evans just worked out pretty much perfectly. Between those 3 and Hiddleston everything just lined up perfect, not sure that all happens if they start with XMen.

• 1Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Yeah, but I think they got real lucky too. RDJ, Hemsworth, and Evans just worked out pretty much perfectly. Between those 3 and Hiddleston everything just lined up perfect, not sure that all happens if they start with XMen.
That's because Sarah Finn is a treasure and she deserves a lot of credit. Her casting director job should be as secure as Feige's job.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>

But even Thor, it was all Hemsworth. I'm not arguing, but really Thor 1 was kinda weak, and Thor in Avengers 1 was kinda weak. He had to develop into more of a comedy relief character than a "no bullshit" character.

• 2Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 2 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
But even Thor, it was all Hemsworth. I'm not arguing, but really Thor 1 was kinda weak, and Thor in Avengers 1 was kinda weak. He had to develop into more of a comedy relief character than a "no bullshit" character.
pretty much this. Ed Norton Hulk was right after Iron Man and it didnt make much impact. Hemsworth wasnt so great as a straight man. Evans didnt really knock it out of the park either in cap1. those movies were OK. it was RDJ who carried this series until we had Avengers 1. there is a reason why RDJ had multiple money trucks backing up to his house. RDJ was the MCU and with him gone its going to be tough to inspire the next phase to be better than OK.

• 1Garbage
  • 1Like

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
Comics were pretty much nerd territory for me and my friends growing up but we sure as shit watched Super Friends every Saturday morning. That, combined with the Reeves Supes, reruns of the 60s Batman, and eventually the Keaton Batman films meant we all knew a ton more about the DC universe than any Marvel stuff. It wasn't until I got to college that my roommate hooked me on X-Men and some Silver Surfer. When Liefield started Image I switched to those. Other than the song I couldn't have told you anything about IM much less any of the other non X-Men characters.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Dislike

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
This for sure.

I remember when GOTG trailer came out... I was thinking "this looks so bad", and I guess this before I had the mindset that Marvel could do no wrong... But good story, great writing, and great actors made it so much fun. It's pretty amazing they can take characters that barely anyone knows and make a movie so good with them.

Going forward I worry, because I feel like Iron Man and Cap are just impossible to replace. Probably some of the best casting ever... But I'm sure they will pull it off. Or could have a decade ago before all the SJW shit in the next phase.

--

How shit tier was Iron Man as a character? As a kid I think I knew of him, but have trouble if it was him or Magneto I am thinking of. What other big characters in the Avengers movies were shit tier?
Ironman was the "leader" of the Avengers, but he was a drunk fuck up, otherwise he was effectively a more badass Batman, so all my friends loved his antics being on a more mature/real level - not just "my parents are deaaad". Plus him and Strange had some great interaction over leadership. Especially when Strange would go into these issue long meditations and Tony'd be like, "The fuck are you doing, the ten rings are fucking up America!" But that was probably just in my circle of friends.

As far as popularity, I would say Batman, Spider-Man, Wolverine. Then everyone else.

My dad and his brothers watched the shit out of Adam West Batman. Beating the shit out of each other during the intro sequence.

1989 made comic books "cool". Guess what movie released that year. That's right. Fucking Batman.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Sevens

Log Wizard
The ONLY A tier heros marvel had were Spiderman and X-Men (And that was mostly only because of Wolverine)
Everything else was b tier and below.
DC had a slew of A tier character.
And the Justice league was way more known than the Avengers were, not even close. Now it's pretty much the opposite, DC is effectively killing off their heros.

• 2Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 2 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i am doubting she ends up directing WW3

Reflecting on those early conversations with Warner Bros., Jenkins said: "They wanted to hire me like a beard; they wanted me to walk around on set as a woman, but it was their story and their vision. And my ideas? They didn’t even want to read my script. There was such mistrust of a different way of doing things and a different point of view."
"Even when I first joined ‘Wonder Woman’ it was like, ‘Uhh, yeah, OK, but let’s do it this other way.’ But I was like, ‘Women don’t want to see that. Her being harsh and tough and cutting people’s heads off. I’m a ‘Wonder Woman’ fan, that’s not what we’re looking for.’ Still, I could feel that shaky nervousness [on their part] of my point of view."

Adding that she believes the studio was "freaked out" by the female superhero movies that had failed in the past, Jenkins reveals that the project had been through so many iterations that there were at least 30 different screenplays written and considered over the years.
The filmmaker concludes by describing the situation as, "an internal war on every level about what ‘Wonder Woman’ should be."

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Sounds like Jenkins doesnt know much about WW then and was more focused on her women empowerment narrative.

But WB also doesnt know what the fuck they are doing either.