Wonder Woman 1984 (2020)

Chris

Potato del Grande
The only one in Ss that looked decent was the witch girl Cara Delvigne or whatever. And that’s only bc she looked sexy dancing. Worst actress on earth, and so hate-able.
That was CGI. Her head on someone else's body.

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I thought Man of Steel was pretty good for what it was. Liked the darker tone of things like that and the Nolan Batmans compared to what Marvel was doing. My main beef with the DCU is that they didn't continue along that vein with the other movies. There didn't seem to be any kind of schedule or plan in place. We should have gotten a Man of Steel 2 before too long, and movies for the JL members that didn't get one (Batman, Flash) and a Justice League -after- WW2 and MoS2. Then start building to Justice League 2 with Darkseid. I don't know what they were thinking with any of this, because the DCU just feels so random in setup and execution. We've got two Jokers, Superman and Batman being recast already, no real continuity between movies.

Imagine a world where the Nolan Batmen were the beginning of the DCU. I'd have had the fourth movie (the return of Joker) be a retelling of The Killing Joke, with Joseph Levitt's Robin dying and Heath Ledger's character returning one final time (CGI I guess) to kickstart Batman's involvement in the DCU. No Bale, no problem, recast aren't the worst thing when your continuity and universe are otherwise actually stable.
What Marvel did is exceptional, they have characters spanning so many quality movies, it's a novelty. it will be very hard to copy, and no wonder that the first one to attempt will fail horribly. Suicide squad was to me the perfect example of a "hey look we also have a team of super heros except they are vilains !" and fail miserabely because nobody knew who they were (except maybe harley).

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
What Marvel did is exceptional, they have characters spanning so many quality movies, it's a novelty. it will be very hard to copy, and no wonder that the first one to attempt will fail horribly. Suicide squad was to me the perfect example of a "hey look we also have a team of super heros except they are vilains !" and fail miserabely because nobody knew who they were (except maybe harley).
DC has about the same number of iconic superheroes as Marvel does. MCU had a longterm plan and DC is a clusterfuck with no plan at all. How Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman were allowed to become joke properties i'll never know.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

gak

<Gold Donor>
ww.jpg

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
DC has about the same number of iconic superheroes as Marvel does. MCU had a longterm plan and DC is a clusterfuck with no plan at all. How Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman were allowed to become joke properties i'll never know.

Hmm, I could be wrong but I believe Marvel have way more characters.

Sterling

El Presidente
Depends on what you mean by characters but both comic companies have thousands and thousands of characters to draw from and Marvel regularly digs into some deep C tier garbage list and makes awesome movies out of it. Guardians of the Galaxy? Who regularly read that shit? Like nobody.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Hmm, I could be wrong but I believe Marvel have way more characters.
DC has more. They absorbed a bunch of smaller companies. Hell there are probably 10 times more Justice League members than Avengers members.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
There's way, way, WAY, WAAAYYY the fuck more Avengers than Justice League members. I can name a good 90% of the JL off the top of my head (DC fanboi). There are hundreds of Avengers I've never even heard of. Shit, there's probably more members of X-Men than JL. Of course, if we're talking multiverse, DC blows those numbers out of the park with thousands of different versions of the same characters.

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I would say that with the Xmen, Marvel has an infinite number of tier C char ?

now that I think of it, DC is exactly at the same place as marvel was when they did the Xmen movies.

Sterling

El Presidente
not sure it really matters which has more when both have many, many thousands to draw from.

• 1Solidarity

Goatface

been a while, but remember reading DC had 9k and Marvel had 16k named and unique characters. Think Marvel said they have something like 60k+.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I think GoTG shows characters themselves arent the problem(well as long as the truly crazy characters are more secondary roles), its having actors that work well together and someone that knows how to write create your screenplay.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

hory

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The basis of every good movie ever made.

• 2Like

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
I think GoTG shows characters themselves arent the problem(well as long as the truly crazy characters are more secondary roles), its having actors that work well together and someone that knows how to write create your screenplay.

This for sure.

I remember when GOTG trailer came out... I was thinking "this looks so bad", and I guess this before I had the mindset that Marvel could do no wrong... But good story, great writing, and great actors made it so much fun. It's pretty amazing they can take characters that barely anyone knows and make a movie so good with them.

Going forward I worry, because I feel like Iron Man and Cap are just impossible to replace. Probably some of the best casting ever... But I'm sure they will pull it off. Or could have a decade ago before all the SJW shit in the next phase.

--

How shit tier was Iron Man as a character? As a kid I think I knew of him, but have trouble if it was him or Magneto I am thinking of. What other big characters in the Avengers movies were shit tier?

Sterling

El Presidente
This for sure.

I remember when GOTG trailer came out... I was thinking "this looks so bad", and I guess this before I had the mindset that Marvel could do no wrong... But good story, great writing, and great actors made it so much fun. It's pretty amazing they can take characters that barely anyone knows and make a movie so good with them.

Going forward I worry, because I feel like Iron Man and Cap are just impossible to replace. Probably some of the best casting ever... But I'm sure they will pull it off. Or could have a decade ago before all the SJW shit in the next phase.

--

How shit tier was Iron Man as a character? As a kid I think I knew of him, but have trouble if it was him or Magneto I am thinking of. What other big characters in the Avengers movies were shit tier?
In the 80s and 90s basically A tier for Marvel was Spiderman and Xmen. Which was why those 2 particular brands were what got bought when Marvel was going under. Hulk was probably in a tier by himself between those 2 and the rest. Thor, Iron Man, Captain America, and maybe like Daredevil and Ghost Rider were sort of the well known characters. Then you sort of have the rest of the avengers and other random heros. Then you have a bunch of niche shit. Then you have GotG and Power Pack and other mostly trash tier stuff.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
This for sure.

--

as a kid growing up in the 70s and 80s. from DC i knew of Shazaam, Batman, Wonder Woman and of course Superman. from Marvel, i knew Cap, Spidey and Hulk. i wouldnt even know who the fuck the rest were if it wasnt for Hostess snack cakes.
thor-dingalingfamily.png

3322542-7730596230-28503.jpg

Goatface

think if going by pre-2000's pop culture
A - Spiderman, Hulk, Captain America {} Superman, Batman, Robin, Wonder Woman, Shazam
B - Wolverine, The Thing, Iron Man, Blade {} Flash, Batgirl, Aquaman, Supergirl

Thor would probably be C, Black Widow and Hawkeye D

• 1Like
  • 1Picard

Sterling

El Presidente
think if going by pre-2000's pop culture
A - Spiderman, Hulk, Captain America {} Superman, Batman, Robin, Wonder Woman, Shazam
B - Wolverine, The Thing, Iron Man, Blade {} Flash, Batgirl, Aquaman, Supergirl

Thor would probably be C, Black Widow and Hawkeye D
The mutant stuff and Spiderverse comics outsold everything else combined through the 80s and 90s. not close. There's a reason those were what got bought by Sony and Fox. Wolverine and Spiderman were the 2 most popular characters Marvel had by orders of magnitude. Wolverine made guest appearances all over the place because it would triple sales.

• 2Like

Goatface

would still say Cap > Wolverine when it came to the mainstream.

• 1WTF
  • 1Dislike
  • 1Pathetic
Reactions: 2 users