Wonder Woman 1984 (2020)

Caliane

Haven't watch it proper. but did watch Mauler's stream yesterday..

I think, there is a mix of ideas and execution here. like they repeated came up to the idea, that the movie would often try presenting an idea, and.. the audience was left confused. example being, like, why exactly did WW "cheat"? was it because she missed a target, or because she slid down the gully? if it was she cut the course, the movie did a piss poor job of establishing what the course was, and what the rules were. like pod racing, was jumping off the ramps cheating? was ramming other racers cheating? no. if the announcer didn't expressly there were no rules, then the language of the movie made it pretty clear, its all fair.

80's movie versus today. if they were trying to make it feel like an 80's movie, they failed badly, and thats a major problem.
A robber drops a gun in a 1980's mall, and incite a panic. yeah. no. Dropping a revolver in a mall in 1980 would result in maybe a gasp, and then shuffling away at best.
Can watch like Commando, does this FEEL the same? I'd say this WAS what they were trying to recreate. but failed at it badly.

the FX of her just gliding around all the time is also a major problem. Just constantly floating on the lasso, as her movement does not match the height, or direction shes going.

Modern audiences might be too young. A possible reason why the whole 80's idea was dead on arrival. Again, the efap guys, were constantly bringing up things like inconsistent powers, Wigg being a "NERD!!!!!", cause she wears glasses. and her comical entrance. But I could only wonder if these guys remembered Otis's introduction in Superman,
or inconsistant powers. ffs did they watch Superman 1 and 2? memory erasing kiss, rewinding time by flying around the planet,... this shit..https://youtu.be/XiN0Lwvi7CA
ww tv show, throwing her tiara, spinning to transform/change cloths, etc.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chapell

Trakanon Raider
In old movies they actually film the scene. Instead now and since i would say late 2005, they cut everything 50 times and do not show what happening. Your little commando video is the perfect example.
For each action scene you see the beginning and the end.
- "And then the girl hit the cop and he fall down the stairs." You actually see it, it's not cut, and it's a good excuse to see a stunt. (a real one)

Also nowadays everything is filmed really close with a field of view really tiny. Why ? Because it's easier to hide flaws.

That's also why action movie like John Wick was a big success. They did use 80' / 90' movies key features to make the film.

Jackie Chan explain it way better than me :
Same stuff but with movies example :
It should be noted (watch the video) that (sadly) the Hong Kong, KR movie market also changed a lot and with the same flaws as US movie market.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Tried to watch this with my wife. No amount of casting eye candy could make us stomach that for more than 30 minutes. I should have read reviews here first.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
Movie is garbage.

download.jpg

• 2Salty
  • 2Garbage
  • 2Like
Reactions: 5 users

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Dropping a revolver in a mall in 1980 would result in maybe a gasp, and then shuffling away at best.
Can watch like Commando,

I was a kid when this came out, and thought I was smart shit for noticing the yellow car miraculously fixed itself right at the end.

That was the golden age of awesome action movies. Simple, no sjw bs, and more importantly: FUN TO WATCH.

Loved the first WW, but this one was just so disjointed, and the bad guy chewing up the scenery didn't make it any easier to watch.

• 2Like

nu_11

Suicide Squad's main problem is the villain sucked. Birds of Prey just sucked.
They both sucked.

Suicide Squad looked so fake that the characters looked fresh from comic con.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
They both sucked.

Suicide Squad looked so fake that the characters looked fresh from comic con.

The only one in Ss that looked decent was the witch girl Cara Delvigne or whatever. And that’s only bc she looked sexy dancing. Worst actress on earth, and so hate-able.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Drajakur

Molten Core Raider
Also found it unwatchable. Started with the kids, got about 30 minutes in and we all noped out. Watched Kill Bill Vol 1 instead. That opening scene - somehow the longest and most boring racing scene I can remember seeing. Terrible in every way.

• 2Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

I should check out Shazam. I've seen everything else (except BoP) and didn't think I was missing anything. If people are ranking it at #1 or #2 for DC movies then I'll definitely give it a look.

• 3Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>

I should check out Shazam. I've seen everything else (except BoP) and didn't think I was missing anything. If people are ranking it at #1 or #2 for DC movies then I'll definitely give it a look.
Shazam is probably #3 after the first WW and Aquaman (hilariously), but I'd still skip the last 3rd of it. It's definitely not tuned for adults at all, but is still mostly fun and entertaining. Until the last act. Which is fucking boring and stupid. Aquaman is equally dumb fun, but is visually a lot better than the rest, even with its *clears throat* stylized CGI.

I'd still put Man of Steel at the top of the DC list. A different list.

Sevens

Log Wizard
Shazam is probably #3 after the first WW and Aquaman (hilariously), but I'd still skip the last 3rd of it. It's definitely not tuned for adults at all, but is still mostly fun and entertaining. Until the last act. Which is fucking boring and stupid. Aquaman is equally dumb fun, but is visually a lot better than the rest, even with its *clears throat* stylized CGI.

The 3rd act of Shazam is magnitudes better than the 3rd act of the first WW
I mean honestly even the people who fawn over this mediocre movie say the 3rd act was bad.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

I thought Man of Steel was pretty good for what it was. Liked the darker tone of things like that and the Nolan Batmans compared to what Marvel was doing. My main beef with the DCU is that they didn't continue along that vein with the other movies. There didn't seem to be any kind of schedule or plan in place. We should have gotten a Man of Steel 2 before too long, and movies for the JL members that didn't get one (Batman, Flash) and a Justice League -after- WW2 and MoS2. Then start building to Justice League 2 with Darkseid. I don't know what they were thinking with any of this, because the DCU just feels so random in setup and execution. We've got two Jokers, Superman and Batman being recast already, no real continuity between movies.

Imagine a world where the Nolan Batmen were the beginning of the DCU. I'd have had the fourth movie (the return of Joker) be a retelling of The Killing Joke, with Joseph Levitt's Robin dying and Heath Ledger's character returning one final time (CGI I guess) to kickstart Batman's involvement in the DCU. No Bale, no problem, recast aren't the worst thing when your continuity and universe are otherwise actually stable.

Sterling

El Presidente
Man of Steel is at least a coherent movie with an actual story. The story butchers Superman Mythos, but it's an actual story with some structure. Superhero combat and Faora A+ additions as well.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Man of Steel is at least a coherent movie with an actual story. The story butchers Superman Mythos, but it's an actual story with some structure. Superhero combat and Faora A+ additions as well.
Only if you'd never read a Superman comic that dealt with Zod in your entire existence. They just crammed the solution into a 12 second scenario, instead of it playing out over 30 issues where Zod murders thousands of people and keeps coming back. It's otherwise perfectly in line with his character mythos. People just want to pretend the boy scout has this perfect, unscathed history, which is decidedly false as fuck.

Sterling

El Presidente
Only if you'd never read a Superman comic that dealt with Zod in your entire existence. They just crammed the solution into a 12 second scenario, instead of it playing out over 30 issues where Zod murders thousands of people and keeps coming back. It's otherwise perfectly in line with his character mythos. People just want to pretend the boy scout has this perfect, unscathed history, which is decidedly false as fuck.
But it's something you build to, not put in his origin movie.