Wonder Woman (2017)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Saw it, liked it. I'm not very familiar with the character, has that always been her origin story? I didn't realize she was supposed to be a literal goddess. Gadot is a figurative goddess. Damn.
new school + old school retelling mixed it, it was a good mix of all origins.

uhm no, you're in the position that eventually retarded sjw stances will become accepted and the norm?

No! Actually the opposite! *Everything* gets old. True story. I'm a teacher, and I had a student who had taken a class with a colleague who still thinks its the 70's and women need to stop shaving their legs, that sort of old stuff. I asked the student how she (it was a she!) how she enjoyed the class, and the student said, "It reminded me of talking to my grandmother."

Everything gets old. Time just keeps on moving. And younger generations *always* roll their eyes at the preoccupations of the olds. See what I mean?

edit: some things are worthwhile though. I watched Mississippi Burning a few nights ago, Gene Hackman is amazing. But ya, I would argue being against the Klan is not being a tedious SJW, it actually was/is important. I guess the trick is, being able to tell the difference b/w SJW fads and things that truly need changing.

iannis

Musty Nester
No! Actually the opposite! *Everything* gets old. True story. I'm a teacher, and I had a student who had taken a class with a colleague who still thinks its the 70's and women need to stop shaving their legs, that sort of old stuff. I asked the student how she (it was a she!) how she enjoyed the class, and the student said, "It reminded me of talking to my grandmother."

Everything gets old. Time just keeps on moving. And younger generations *always* roll their eyes at the preoccupations of the olds. See what I mean?

edit: some things are worthwhile though. I watched Mississippi Burning a few nights ago, Gene Hackman is amazing. But ya, I would argue being against the Klan is not being a tedious SJW, it actually was/is important. I guess the trick is, being able to tell the difference b/w SJW fads and things that truly need changing.

Of all things, there was an episode of The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt that I thought did a halfway decent job of it from a writing perspective. They were lampooning the SJW bullshit (which you know perfectly well that most of the cast and writers are at least tolerant of), and the moral of the story was "these are just children saying childish things". You had college kids sitting around sucking on beers like baby bottles. It wasn't what I expected out of tina fey and a show with a black diva as a central character.

Right Iannis. In my work I see and have to deal with a *lot* of sjw stuff, from privileged kids yada yada yada. But that is kids for you, I tell myself. I just try to make sure there is some perspective, and that real crises are not poisoned by rich white kids (and adults...) thinking they are the center of the world. And "how a movie portrays (fill in the blank)" is pretty far down on my list of serious things to actually be angry about. Frankly, I think it is smart to not even get sucked into those absurdities. Just let the kids be stupid and hope someday, they really get "woke" to real and present dangers. (prolly worst movie in series, btw)

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
Saw this last night and enjoyed it. I am curious about the future of the DCEU though. It seems like all the DC heroes are too powerful without obvious limitations so any believable villain will have to get absurdly powerful. Which of the suicide squad would even last 10 seconds in a fight against WW. I never really paid much attention to WW growing up but is there some "kryptonite" in her mythology that could be used against her?

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Saw this last night and enjoyed it. I am curious about the future of the DCEU though. It seems like all the DC heroes are too powerful without obvious limitations so any believable villain will have to get absurdly powerful. Which of the suicide squad would even last 10 seconds in a fight against WW. I never really paid much attention to WW growing up but is there some "kryptonite" in her mythology that could be used against her?
Nope, not that I'm aware of (not counting intermittent bullshit here or there that some writer probably thought up for a couple issues). She essentially has the physical prowess and invulnerability of Superman, without the weakness to kryptonite AND magic that he has. And she don't give a fuck about killing motherfuckers like he does (to an extent obviously). Only thing she really lacks is heat vision and cold breath, and his level of super speed. She's still way faster than most people, but nowhere near Superman's ability to give Flash a run for his money. And I guess depending upon the writer Supes has that super-speed-thought-process crap, so she probably wouldn't have a similar level of that either. But she's a master of most/all? martial arts, so even without the lasso and sword she'd beat most anyone's ass. I'm sure Lyrical could give us the specifics of where Batman ranks her in hand-to-hand combat, but she has to be pretty near the top I'd think.

Back in the day when I was reading they didn't really let her use all of what I just listed above, but it seems recently (and in the animated movies in particular) they've sort of embraced it. I fucking love the animated Wonder Woman for exactly that reason.

And she has tits.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
A big problem with the Justice League has always been the insane power they all have. I know at least a few people personally who have always preferred Marvel of DC because they see super powerful characters like Superman, Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter, etc. as really boring.

spronk

FPS noob

she can't cook or clean

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
She can't fly right, she has to use an invisible jet to get around.
Invisible jet jokes aside, nope, she can mostly fly in the comics. It comes and goes, but in general she can. It is not clear if she can in the movies though, despite it looking like she hovered in midair at the end of this movie. They might hand-wave that away as something else. She obviously couldn't earlier in the movie when they had to "Shield!" her up into the clocktower, but typically she's depicted as being granted a gift from each of the gods when she was created, and Hermes' gift to her was flight.

So, who knows. But in the mythology of her character, yes she can fly. Not super-speed though like Superman.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
720p and 1080p copies on your favorite websites

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
i wanted to shit on this movie for a lot of reasons before even watching it

the concept and origin of wonder woman which is the hokiest and lamest thing imaginable.
the notion of stopping Ares
the expected hamfisted SJW-ness and feminism BS

but i have to say, that given the source material they had to work with (which was a complete and utter total disaster) they managed to make a movie that was really well done. And on an emotional level, probably the deepest out of all superhero movies i can remember, with the exception of "Logan" maybe.

Gal Gadot is probably one of the best superhero castings ever after Hugh Jackman as Wolverine, she IS Wonder Woman

Last edited:
  • 5Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
Gal Gadot is probably one of the best superhero castings ever
c76a9bba569d5dcd2d8d3139cba63571--iron-man--robert-downey-jr.jpg

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i never followed WW much, but i'm pretty sure the invisible jet disappeared with the super friends.
i just watched it, and during the fight with ares, there's a second where she's clearly hovering. i wonder if once realizing and embracing that she WAS zues' daughter, she saw Ares fly and figured she could do it too. none of the amazons could fly so why would she ever try?

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
i never followed WW much, but i'm pretty sure the invisible jet disappeared with the super friends.
i just watched it, and during the fight with ares, there's a second where she's clearly hovering. i wonder if once realizing and embracing that she WAS zues' daughter, she saw Ares fly and figured she could do it too. none of the amazons could fly so why would she ever try?

Post-Crisis she was given the ability to fly so there was no need for her Pegasus/jet at that point.

I just watched this, I really enjoyed it.

As for those saying that DC heroes are too powerful...I know Marvel has Thanos and others but for the greater part the villains you see that the heroes in DC are fighting God level characters much of the time too. Brainaic, Larfleeze, Trigon, Eclipso, Nekron, Krona, Anti-Monitor, Imperiex-Prime, Mr. Mxyzptlk (lol a favorite of mine) and of course Darkseid....just to name a few....so the power levels of the heroes needs to be at this point. With the exception of Batman and other non super-powered heroes who for the most part fight lower powered baddies....the rest have pretty major foes.

So far in Marvel movies we've really only seen Dr. Strange fight an insanely powerful enemy while the others have fought powerful people only because they had a powerful item that temporarily made them so...this even happens in the Thor movies. (Unless my 3am brain is spacing out on some)

So I don't mind it too much. It's like when I used to play Shining Force on Sega and all my Nintendo friends said it sucked because the characters only had like 100HP while in their FF games they had thousands. Each universe scales itself accordingly but just because one is scaled above the other doesn't mean the other is bad or uninteresting imo.

Or it's also a good possibility I'm retarded and I'm babbling because I've been up for 27 hours due to my stupid Crohns. Either way I'm glad DC finally popped off with a good movie, they needed it desperately and I must admit, this was the last one I thought would do it.