Woodworking

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Yeah, having a dedicated shop has been a huge improvement for me, and I totally covet that guys table saw. That thing is amazing.

Beautiful table.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Can someone explain why Dados would be illegal anywhere?

tldw; Europe mandates table saws have active brakes that can stop blade rotation in some seconds after power off. Dado stacks allegedly can have enough mass that they would stop too slowly and potentially provide counter-spin against the brake that could unscrew the stack from the arbor while in motion, resulting in catastrophe. You also can't use most kinds of blade guards with a dado stack. Many international saws have arbors so short you just can't mount a stack.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Biscuit joints are fine for making a panel, maybe some low level joinery that is not structural? But for shit like Table legs, Chair legs and other structural joints a good ole mortise and tenon joint is heard to beat. And is why good furniture makers still use them today.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
tldw; Europe mandates table saws have active brakes that can stop blade rotation in some seconds after power off. Dado stacks allegedly can have enough mass that they would stop too slowly and potentially provide counter-spin against the brake that could unscrew the stack from the arbor while in motion, resulting in catastrophe. You also can't use most kinds of blade guards with a dado stack. Many international saws have arbors so short you just can't mount a stack.

Thanks. That makes sense.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah buscuits are great for alignment, and anyone who can afford one uses dominoes. Online alot of crap is said about pocket screws and dowels, but I personally am a whatever works use it guy. Wish I could justify a domino though

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Best thing for joints I have seen is the festoll thing that uses actual loose tennons. Now those would be great mechanical joints that are done quick without the fit and finish issues of typical mortise and tenon joints.

But like all Festool BS the thing is like thousands $$.

• 1Like

whoo

<Silver Donator>
IMO biscuits, dominos (in most circumstances), and similar are great for alignment and should only be used as joinery in rare circumstances. Mortise & tenon, dovetail, and housung type (dado, rebate, and variants) are far superior.

In tabletops, or any jointed glue-up of blocks or panel edges, the glue is stronger than the wood. The biscuit /domino does not improve the quality of a long grain to long grain joint. Long to short grain joints are better served by the traditional joinery in furniture. In cabinets, a floating tenon (domino, lamelo) reinforced by glue and nails is great and used in many production shops.

My 2c of course. I am biased toward higher end work / traditional craftsmanship

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Nahh the domionos up above are the real deal. Just as strong as mortise and tennon, because you can put as many as can fit in a joint. Biscuits are the alignment masters in making panels, table tops and the like.

whoo

<Silver Donator>
Also, the problem with loose tenons is that they are loose. Wood glue does not gap-fill. If you use loose tenons for joinery (like instead of a mortise & tenon) you need to use epoxy with a filler (silica or fibers) which makes the joint un-repairable if it fails in the future

whoo

<Silver Donator>
Nahh the domionos up above are the real deal. Just as strong as mortise and tennon, because you can put as many as can fit in a joint. Biscuits are the alignment masters in making panels, table tops and the like.
I own two domino machines (the 500 and 700). The more dominos you put in a joint, the more of the source wood you have to remove weakening the joint. Mortise & tenon joints are proven stronger although in some applications dominos are strong enough.

I could dig up videos showing the testing of this. The data is out there.

That said, I use dominos all the time, but I wouldn't build chairs or table skirts with them unless I had to.

Different strokes

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
LOL not the festool up there. This is why you pay the big bucks. Fit perfect every time. You have the same problem with constructing mortise and tennon. Except youre measuring and hand cutting the fuckers so better be perfect , lol.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I own two domino machines (the 500 and 700). The more dominos you put in a joint, the more of the source wood you have to remove weakening the joint. Mortise & tenon joints are proven stronger although in some applications dominos are strong enough.

I could dig up videos showing the testing of this. The data is out there.

That said, I use dominos all the time, but I wouldn't build chairs or table skirts with them unless I had to.

Different strokes
Thats cool, I mean you own them I dont so I cannot tell how they fit and how strong they are. I jsut assumed they were strong, at least way stronger than biscuits, lol. Dont those tennons come in different wood types? anyway too rich for my blood lol.

whoo

<Silver Donator>
Edit: i misunderstood something

If you're interested in some data:

• 3Like

whoo

<Silver Donator>
Thats cool, I mean you own them I dont so I cannot tell how they fit and how strong they are. I jsut assumed they were strong, at least way stronger than biscuits, lol. Dont those tennons come in different wood types? anyway too rich for my blood lol.
Waayyyyy stronger than biscuits. Youre correct. Don't get me wrong, I like dominos and use them a lot. Just not for good furniture unless I can't otherwise (except tabletops). They are fabulous for cabinetry

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Not sure how "the festool up there" differs from the two festools in my shop, but ok.

If you're interested in some data:
I think you posted the comment before I could read it, and then I posted mine.

• 1Like

Aamry

Blackwing Lair Raider
Just picked up a Jet 12" Drill press off Craiglist for $300 bucks, with a custom cabinet the owner made for holding it. It's like new, but a new one would set me back $540. He also tossed in a huge forstner bit and a drill bit.

His wife wants all his woodworking shit gone, as he hasn't used it in ages. If only I had like another 3k and the space to put all his stuff.

• 3Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Just picked up a Jet 12" Drill press off Craiglist for $300 bucks, with a custom cabinet the owner made for holding it. It's like new, but a new one would set me back $540. He also tossed in a huge forstner bit and a drill bit.

His wife wants all his woodworking shit gone, as he hasn't used it in ages. If only I had like another 3k and the space to put all his stuff.
Space is def a problem for woodworking shit. I was thinking basement at one point but thinking of all the dust and dragging that shit into the basement kinda turned me off of that idea. So im just waiting for retirement at this point and moving all my shit up to our cabin. We have 2 huge pole barns and one is perfect for my shop. At that point I will have time to fuck with it all too.

• 1Like