Woodworking

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I built a mini skate ramp for daughter and I to learn on. Made the exit ramp modular and while I can take it on and off I would love to be able to pull it away then flip it up onto itself using some kind of hinge. Anyone have any ideas? Away because if you just flip it up the plywood bends into itself. Fucking pressure treated plywood still close to 80 a sheet so garage kept it has to be.View attachment 366580View attachment 366581
If you seal the edges (with something as simple as exterior primer and paint) it will survive a fair amount of abuse outside for many years. Ideally it’d be in full sun so it can dry completely between getting wet.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
If you seal the edges (with something as simple as exterior primer and paint) it will survive a fair amount of abuse outside for many years. Ideally it’d be in full sun so it can dry completely between getting wet.
I have seen what happens to the non pressure treated wood in south texas, I will be lucky to get a year out of it. That and I might want to masonite it. Either way this is just a temporary get good feature, while I wait for wood prices to normalize. I do have a large covered backyard patio I can put it under as well, will paint it and do that eventually, 100% shade but also minimal rain.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I have seen what happens to the non pressure treated wood in south texas, I will be lucky to get a year out of it. That and I might want to masonite it. Either way this is just a temporary get good feature, while I wait for wood prices to normalize. I do have a large covered backyard patio I can put it under as well, will paint it and do that eventually, 100% shade but also minimal rain.
I’m in north central Florida and have seen untreated wood hold up pretty well so long as it can dry - at least for a while. But to your point, I don’t have experience with wood that’s been used as a skate ramp.

Anyway, I just wanted to throw it out there for your consideration :)

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I built a mini skate ramp for daughter and I to learn on. Made the exit ramp modular and while I can take it on and off I would love to be able to pull it away then flip it up onto itself using some kind of hinge. Anyone have any ideas? Away because if you just flip it up the plywood bends into itself. Fucking pressure treated plywood still close to 80 a sheet so garage kept it has to be.View attachment 366580View attachment 366581

You using that bad boy for oil changes?

Also, I have your plate number now sucka!

• 1Worf

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I’m in north central Florida and have seen untreated wood hold up pretty well so long as it can dry - at least for a while. But to your point, I don’t have experience with wood that’s been used as a skate ramp.

Anyway, I just wanted to throw it out there for your consideration :)
After much consideration and research I am going to paint and put it in the covered back patio, sun does the most damage. Will just raise it up on some blocks and paint the shit out of it to keep as much moisture out as possible. If it holds up I have enough space in the back to make it flow into a proper sized quarter pipe as well.

• 1Like

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.

If you like woodworking video tutorials, there's apparently a summer sale for the Maker's Mob (a collective of some of the more prominent YT personalities) where you get a month's access for $0.99. I'll probably snag it just to download a few projects.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
5E52D5C1-B365-492A-B4F9-D08282BAA6B4.jpeg

Got the flake down in main garage, same flake going in the workshop but it is only ground down at the moment. Top coat going on tomorrow.

That seam looking part is a step up to a raised level in the garage. Will take a picture of the shop once it is done but liking it so far. We’ll see!

• 2Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Here’s the shop area so far. Had to scramble to move things out and throw stuff up on the bench. Only had time to pull off the old shelves and what not from the earlier picture, install a lumber rack, and get a coat of fresh paint over about half it and quick fill in holes. Maybe, maybe this week I’ll have a few minutes to set things back up and start putting it together. Outlook not looking great though. Just too much going on to focus on the fun projects 😢

D5F9F1DB-9B09-4C2A-BE66-8F6F18D56B8B.jpeg

*edit: tried to salvage the “Hooked on Quack” bumper sticker but unfortunately it didn’t survive the wall touch up and scraping. Sorry whoo whoo

Last edited:
  • 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I built a mini skate ramp for daughter and I to learn on. Made the exit ramp modular and while I can take it on and off I would love to be able to pull it away then flip it up onto itself using some kind of hinge. Anyone have any ideas? Away because if you just flip it up the plywood bends into itself. Fucking pressure treated plywood still close to 80 a sheet so garage kept it has to be.View attachment 366580

Could try a piano hinge.

And did you cut that with a jigsaw or something? You need a solid tablesaw to tidy up those cuts.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Could try a piano hinge.

And did you cut that with a jigsaw or something? You need a solid tablesaw to tidy up those cuts.
Table saw is definitely on the list, all hand power tools for this build.
No longer need the hinge, put it in the backyard under the patio. Sealed it just need to paint it now.
17479F58-F7FA-4C81-9F11-A6137365E685.jpeg
1DC3731C-D2B3-4A87-9773-140B7F6EFEFC.jpeg

• 2Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I'm not convinced that's really his back yard. Looks like the local CertaPro office is just goofing off instead of painting my house.

whoo

<Silver Donator>
Yeah that's pretty bad that the dryer vent is there. That poor condenser coil has got to be caked with petrified lint :(

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Ramp done, we testing tomorrow. Scary as fuck when you have no skills so we should be able to learn a lot on this.
9AEAB66A-EF28-4842-A25B-1C0150F81CE7.jpeg
9D0FFDA2-AD40-4448-A006-47FC6F3E502E.jpeg

• 2Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
With the floors of the shop finished I needed a break from work and life so spent yesterday putting the saw together. That was really fun and took a good 6-7 hours. Have to hand it to Sawstop, their packing and manual was everything it was rumored to be. Color coded sectioned off parts, nice large spiral bound manual with thick paper and color photos. Assembly wasn’t complicated really but had a couple of challenges. The little things were the worst, like mounting the switch was a son of a bitch.

It also only comes with like an 8’ cord which is somewhat ridiculous. Either include a longer more useful cord or just provide a 1” pig tail. This length is just annoyingly middle of the road. Anyways, bought 25’ of SOOW 12/3 and wired up a new cord which didn’t take long. Was also nice cracking open a new part of the saw that I’m not familiar with.

The whole assembly process was very fulfilling in know what the saw is doing amd how to troubleshoot stuff. Like I know how the leafs are installed and aligned, the extension table, the rails, the electrical. Just a good feeling.

I will say that they’d be saviors of humanity if they came up with a better method of alignment and leveling the wings and rails and everything. Supporting the cast iron and moving it by micrometers and then torquing down a hex bolt while supporting the bolt on the other side of the wing… not to mention OCD people like me that will spend an hour trying to make it as perfect as possible. Does it really matter? No I’m sure it is close enough and 1/32nd isn’t going to matter. But my anxiety isn’t helped by the fact I can barely feel the seam between my main table and the right wing. Just saying someone needs to invent and patent that.

Haven’t had a chance to even cut anything, put in the dust collection, find a final position, etc etc. Plus it is 1,000 degrees. I can’t work in the shop bc the window unit AC pours water back in to the shop. So either need to fix that or just replace it. Have about 1,000 things on the list to make for the house and I want to make them and not shop shelves, shop benches, shop carts, shop drawers, jigs, sleds, blah blah. That’s why I bought the Bora lumber rack for $40 on Amazon.

Didn't necessarily want a Sawstop or to pay that much for a saw. One that is well outside of my capabilities and worthiness. But Grizzly dicked me around and wasn't helpful and nothing else was in stock. Sawstop could ship same day, is somewhat made in the U.S., has local support, and additional safety features. So screw Grizzly. Woodcraft was also incredibly nice and helpful with coordinating delivery and making sure we had moved in to the new home and holding it for two extra weeks for me. Not at all unhappy with the purchase. Now to just use the damn thing...

*edit: Can I not rotate pictures on this worthless message board? Had to post on my phone to upload them now they're all boomer sideways...

9B696AFE-C0C1-43FD-A014-9B52979AECFA.jpeg
3DEA816E-0528-44B7-81D9-BBF906A82225.jpeg

C1DB3AD2-B3CA-4ABB-B4C9-5A7B4C3F9C56.jpeg

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

whoo

<Silver Donator>
Nice! Sawstop is good quality. Remember to disengage the blade brake if you're going to cut anything that's not kiln dried or might have metal in it. A guy I know burned through 2 expensive blades and 2 of those explosice brakes (to the tune of about $500 total) cutting wet dimensional lumber from a big box store.

• 2Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Nice! Sawstop is good quality. Remember to disengage the blade brake if you're going to cut anything that's not kiln dried or might have metal in it. A guy I know burned through 2 expensive blades and 2 of those explosice brakes (to the tune of about $500 total) cutting wet dimensional lumber from a big box store.
Yeah, a lot of the videos I've seen over the years have had varying degrees of "damp material is fine," or "you better have no drops of water within 10mi of the saw or it'll go off!" So, I'm sure it is somewhere in between. I don't generally cut something that is damp but will always keep it in mind. Also the stuff I pulled off the walls from this garage are littered with brad nails and bent nails and screws. The previous owner made fishing lures in this shop but it appears he also needed 88 pin nails, two 10 penny nails, and a 5" dry wall screw to hang a shelf.

I did read in the manual, though, that on a legit activation you can send the brake back and they'll analyze it and send you a replacement for free. No idea how common that is or if they'd weasel out of it and claim that I was goofing off with a hot dog. Hopefully it just never has to go off b/c I'm being safe and not lazy.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I did read in the manual, though, that on a legit activation you can send the brake back and they'll analyze it and send you a replacement for free. No idea how common that is

I bet they use it for the never-ending stream of testimonials that is their social media advertising.