Woodworking

Izo

Tranny Chaser
ba6.jpg

wood chopping GIF

How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
You guys are crafty. Man I wish I could do wood works.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
You can. Just take the time and learn. Honestly, get decent tools, be patient, and realize you're going to mess up a bunch of times until you get a feel for the tools and different woods.

• 2Like
  • 1Mother of God
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Noble Savage

Kang of Kangz
<Bronze Donator>
So I'm interested in getting into some carpentry/woodworking with the ultimate goal of making my own cabinets to remodel my kitchen. Question on what tools I should acquire to begin doing some basic projects to get my skillset developed. I am thinking.

*Good compound mitre saw (Dewault Probably)
*Table Saw or probably end up getting a Festool track saw to rip down bigger pieces.
*Good jigsaw

Am I missing anything to start off with?

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Noble Savage Noble Savage I honestly don't think a miter saw is that necessary, it isn't that accurate unless you get a festooned for mucho $$. You can do pretty much do what a miter saw does with a table saw and either a track saw or circular saw. Jigsaw is useful i love my dewalt xr. I would also suggest a router, could probably start with a palm router like a dewalt 611 but would suggest something bigger with a 1/2 inch shank and plunge base. Also clamps you will need lots of clamps, all typs of clamps but for cabinets parallel clamps, check out taytools.com theirs are good and cheaper than the name brands. A good carpenter square and combination square are invaluable.

For your final goal of kitchen cabinets would you go all plywood/mdf or hard wood?

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Don’t underestimate the gluing and clamping you’ll be doing. Woodwork isn’t all about screws. My girlfriend makes fun of me every time I come home with a new clamp.

One thing I’ve learned over the last year, and goes with my particular approach to learning, was trial and error. Bought a bunch of stuff just to learn what I liked, didn’t like, and felt comfortable with. I’d take any money I put in to my circular saw (not much) and mitre saw (not much) and put it towards a better table saw. Just because I’m very comfortable doing almost anything on it. Other people probably feel the same about their mitre or ripping with a hand saw ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Router is awesome and surprised me how varied it can be. But a lot of the little things are important to me. Combo square, jigs, whatever. I learn more than I actually build just to try things and get an idea. But that is slowly changing the more comfortable and faster I get seeing things and making things.

This vacation week in Charleston kind of sucks because all I want to do is take a week off on the shop and build.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Dilemma right now is do I want a Mitre saw or drill press for Christmas. Mitre seems useful because chopping down all those 40+ 8’ long 1x3s was somewhat a pain. The table saw was fine but moving an 8’ boards over the face wasn’t optimal. A larger table and a better outfeed table could help that. I’d probably only look at a 10” compound, not sliding or 12”.

Drill press seems not as useful because I don’t do a lot of “drilling” per se, but it does seem useful for other things. I mean not things like doing regular holes for screws. Maybe that doesn’t make sense...

whoo

<Silver Donator>
So I'm interested in getting into some carpentry/woodworking with the ultimate goal of making my own cabinets to remodel my kitchen. Question on what tools I should acquire to begin doing some basic projects to get my skillset developed. I am thinking.

*Good compound mitre saw (Dewault Probably)
*Table Saw or probably end up getting a Festool track saw to rip down bigger pieces.
*Good jigsaw

Am I missing anything to start off with?

If youre starting with no experience, don't buy tools yet. Watch a bunch of cabinet making videos ans see the tools and techniques they use. Basic cabinets can be done with limites tools, but professional looking custom kitchen cabinets is altogether different. Also, materials is a big part of the process. Finally, finishing isn't necessarily simple. You can't just brush on some interior latex. There are multi part cabinet enamel paints that need to be sprayed for best results.

You can do it, but research first before buying machines. They can be expensive.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

whoo

<Silver Donator>
Also, you need one of these

Attachments

• 1605798541965177322194.png
    1605798541965177322194.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 24
  • 3Worf

Noble Savage

Kang of Kangz
<Bronze Donator>
Noble Savage Noble Savage I honestly don't think a miter saw is that necessary, it isn't that accurate unless you get a festooned for mucho $$. You can do pretty much do what a miter saw does with a table saw and either a track saw or circular saw. Jigsaw is useful i love my dewalt xr. I would also suggest a router, could probably start with a palm router like a dewalt 611 but would suggest something bigger with a 1/2 inch shank and plunge base. Also clamps you will need lots of clamps, all typs of clamps but for cabinets parallel clamps, check out taytools.com theirs are good and cheaper than the name brands. A good carpenter square and combination square are invaluable.

For your final goal of kitchen cabinets would you go all plywood/mdf or hard wood?
Plywood for the frame and maybe hardwood face nailed. I plan on painting the cabinets so the wood doesn't have to be stain grade.

Noble Savage

Kang of Kangz
<Bronze Donator>
If youre starting with no experience, don't buy tools yet. Watch a bunch of cabinet making videos ans see the tools and techniques they use. Basic cabinets can be done with limites tools, but professional looking custom kitchen cabinets is altogether different. Also, materials is a big part of the process. Finally, finishing isn't necessarily simple. You can't just brush on some interior latex. There are multi part cabinet enamel paints that need to be sprayed for best results.

You can do it, but research first before buying machines. They can be expensive.
Yeah I've watched a bunch of custom cabinet builds online before I even considered whether or not this was something I wanted to try. I obsessively plan things out and want to take my time and really understanding the process. I am a fan of buying the right tools to make the job easier.

I just got done replacing a bunch of door jams and baseboard moulding in my house and that was a rewarding experience. So thats kind of what got me interested in doing a little more.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Dilemma right now is do I want a Mitre saw or drill press for Christmas. Mitre seems useful because chopping down all those 40+ 8’ long 1x3s was somewhat a pain. The table saw was fine but moving an 8’ boards over the face wasn’t optimal. A larger table and a better outfeed table could help that. I’d probably only look at a 10” compound, not sliding or 12”.

Drill press seems not as useful because I don’t do a lot of “drilling” per se, but it does seem useful for other things. I mean not things like doing regular holes for screws. Maybe that doesn’t make sense...
I don't have either but I would love a drill press, would be great for roughing out mortises, getting perfect holes with forstner bits.

For cutting down long boards I don't want to put on the table saw I use my circular saw with a speed square and to cut tabletops to final length I have this Bora clamping edge

Not as good as a track saw just because it takes a while to make sure it is square but good enough.

I would love a compound sliding miter saw, but I don't need it, not nearly as much as I need a planer and bandsaw.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, the drill would absolutely be for what you said bc I’m terrible at hand drilling those things.

The sliding mitre would be great but my garage still need to function as a two car garage and the extra depth required for the slide makes me nervous. Haven’t done any measurements though.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, the drill would absolutely be for what you said bc I’m terrible at hand drilling those things.

The sliding mitre would be great but my garage still need to function as a two car garage and the extra depth required for the slide makes me nervous. Haven’t done any measurements though.
Yeah my wife parks in the garage and all the bikes and gym equipment is also there so I don't have much room either, requirement for our next house is either a 3 car garage or space for a large shed.

I believe the festool, which again is like $1800, or the Bosch which is alot less like $500 both only slide forward and don't need much extra room

whoo

<Silver Donator>
Yeah I've watched a bunch of custom cabinet builds online before I even considered whether or not this was something I wanted to try. I obsessively plan things out and want to take my time and really understanding the process. I am a fan of buying the right tools to make the job easier.

I just got done replacing a bunch of door jams and baseboard moulding in my house and that was a rewarding experience. So thats kind of what got me interested in doing a little more.
For good results, you're going to need a cabinet saw, not a contractors saw. Look at Grizzly, Sawstop, Powermatic, etc. If its sold at home depot or lowes its not what you want. You will also need a full sized router table or small shaper. 1.5 HP +. A handheld router is not going to do the job of cutting endgrain on rails for cabinet doors. If you're going to be doing raised panel doors, you will need a full sized table with a powerful motor. Also these are dangerous machines. Especially routers/shapers. If you get one, please be very careful learning it. You can lose fingers or a hand very quickly.

Also, if youre going to use pocket screws for the cabinet construction, you'll want something like a Kreg K5 or their Foreman Pocket-Hole machine. They also have great jigs for mounting the hinges, drawer slides, and pulls.

Good luck!

• 1Like

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
For good results, you're going to need a cabinet saw, not a contractors saw. Look at Grizzly, Sawstop, Powermatic, etc. If its sold at home depot or lowes its not what you want. You will also need a full sized router table or small shaper. 1.5 HP +. A handheld router is not going to do the job of cutting endgrain on rails for cabinet doors. If you're going to be doing raised panel doors, you will need a full sized table with a powerful motor. Also these are dangerous machines. Especially routers/shapers. If you get one, please be very careful learning it. You can lose fingers or a hand very quickly.

Also, if youre going to use pocket screws for the cabinet construction, you'll want something like a Kreg K5 or their Foreman Pocket-Hole machine. They also have great jigs for mounting the hinges, drawer slides, and pulls.

Good luck!

I also feel like you are gonna need a planer, even if you buy s3s or s4s lumber it is gonna move on you or your gonna need to mill it to final thickness for cabinet doors.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole

Good luck!
Also follow up on Whoos point about danger, while it is much more expensive, if you are at all worried about a table saw, look at the saw stop, but even if you do get one of those make sure you research alot about kickback.

I am gonna probably get a Sawstop next not because I am that worried about cutting fingers off but because at some point my kids will want to build things with me and i worry about them.

• 1Like

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Also these are dangerous machines. Especially routers/shapers. If you get one, please be very careful learning it. You can lose fingers or a hand very quickly.

Anyone getting into powered woodworking should spend some time looking for "<machine> accident" on YouTube. It's easy to get complacent, and you see even very experienced woodwoorkers can have bad accidents. It's healthy to stay a little scared of your equipment.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah my wife parks in the garage and all the bikes and gym equipment is also there so I don't have much room either, requirement for our next house is either a 3 car garage or space for a large shed.

I believe the festool, which again is like $1800, or the Bosch which is alot less like $500 both only slide forward and don't need much extra room
heh my most recent tablesaw use is just to make 3 planks for this
f4992b158cd4b23195edb41eb8498a81.jpg

i decided on the first image configuration, it's a pull up bar that doubles as a dip bar when you take it down.

i already have a full rack that has a pull up bar, but my wife is asian, so she needs a step stool to reach it, this one i adjusted to her height, also it has a trx ring so we can both do trx at the same time.

• 3Like