Woodworking

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
First day back from vacation and got some time to work on the project.

Finished up the planing sled. My measurements were a little off so I could barely reach the surface to take off 1/16th with no more room to move. Tried extending the bit out in the collet but other than feeling like a terrible safety idea it also made the router unbalanced and it shook like crazy while in the sled. Once I flushed it all the way it everything was smooth and I could use it.

IMG_2698.jpg
IMG_2650.jpg

Didn't take a good before picture, completely forgot, so that is the before before. Anyways, I think the sled worked awesome personally. The little waves can be taken out with some light sanding once I go to finish it up. Flipped it over and did the other side but it had a little more that needs to be removed and some gaps plugged. Didn't 100% care since it is the underside and not the top. Ordered a 2 1/4" collet extension so will have more options if I want to take off another 1/32nd or 1/16th.

62785609409__2223529F-3A4D-402A-9D88-A8588407750D.jpg

Going to need to start thinking about joining all this together. But next I'll knock out the two short side pieces and then go back and do the top and bottom shelves. Should go much quicker now that I have a process down.

Also thinking about not going with those 2 1/2" lap joins and maybe experimenting with some mortise and tenon. Like have the tenons on the side vertical pieces and have the mortise on the long horizontal so that they just sit down on top of them. Also will let me practice something I've never done and can figure out what size / position they'd need to be in.

Pretty happy for my one day back! Heading to Lowe's tomorrow for some more, hah.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Also thinking about not going with those 2 1/2" lap joins and maybe experimenting with some mortise and tenon. Like have the tenons on the side vertical pieces and have the mortise on the long horizontal so that they just sit down on top of them. Also will let me practice something I've never done and can figure out what size / position they'd need to be in.

There's no better way to learn a new skill than to needlessly overcomplicate a project you could otherwise complete easily! (For real. Go for it.)

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Think that I ran through that guys entire channel over a few days of work and throw it on at night when I'm just reading now for the white noise effect of the sawing.

Had a rudimentary knowledge of woodworking using power tools going into this year and all of the COVID stuff but ended up buying a set of saws and chisels to teach myself dovetails and other joinery starting in March and the hand tool aspect of it has really drawn me in. Found this guys channel accidentally looking as Ship of Theseus videos and ended up just watching the entire thing from the beginning, it's a really great example of the crazy amount of skills required to build an entire boat but he's heavy on joinery.

Sampson Boat Co

I've watch 24 episodes so far and it's very interesting. Thanks for posting. I'm not sure if I've got the stamina to go to the end and it looks like it's not finished yet, but I'm liking it so far.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I've started woodworking quite a bit since Covid started. My first bit of advice is a decent table saw is king.

My next bit of advice is for myself: I need a truck.

• 3Solidarity
  • 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
I've started woodworking quite a bit since Covid started. My first bit of advice is a decent table saw is king.

My next bit of advice is for myself: I need a truck.
I built a rack for the top of my outback out of 2x4s for sheet goods and lang boards, works but man I wish I still had my old truck

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
So rather than going on an adventure and finding new wood I’m just going to finish ordering the entertainment center stuff from Lowes. Need 44 more 1x3s and I’m not going to hand pick and haul away that crap. Never had like this delivered so don’t know what to expect, if they pull shit boards (more so than usual that is), etc. Need to get some other pieces but may dip my toe in to a local wood place and see if they’ll be helpful or if sticking with big box is just the way to go with standard pine and birch or fir.

Did experiment with ripping my own 1x3s today out of some scrap 1x6 I had from another project. Turned out really well and was exciting to “make my own.” Don’t think at that level it is any more cost effective unless I can find an 8’x4’ sheet of pine that isn’t a plywood. Then I could get like 16 out of that and not need 44 individuals.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Don’t think at that level it is any more cost effective

Ripping your own narrow stock out of wider dimensional lumber isn't really cheaper, but you do get MUCH better wood. You simply can't make a 2x12 out of the same bullshit they sell as 2x4s. If you buy 2x10/12s and rip down you get reliably decent section of quartersawn wood (grain perpendicular to the width, which is much more stable to cupping and bowing).

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
If anyone needs a gripper, I love mine and this comes with some accessories

ok just got this thing, wow it's actually really heavy

since this comes w/ that 1/8th attachment is there anything else safety wise i should look out for in the future? or am i 99% covered (with push sticks)

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
ok just got this thing, wow it's actually really heavy

since this comes w/ that 1/8th attachment is there anything else safety wise i should look out for in the future? or am i 99% covered (with push sticks)
I have the little spring loaded gravity heals that came with mine i never use them, you should be good with what you have unless you want to get 2 of these with the bridge for longer rips but I rip 7-8 ft boards and have never needed that.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
They also have the flat grippy versionsthat are supposed to be nice. I’ve got them on my Christmas list!

GRR-RIP BLOCK Smart Hook Pushblock for Router Table, Jointer, and Band Saws
On a side note, trying to decide how to finish the entertainment center. My floors are this color/style. Walls are Repose Grey... thinking about going lighter and pulling out the almond/white of the floor color. Trying to look in to bleaching wood or staining it white on top of that color it is from the last pictures.

E85DF95F-6FA6-463D-9B4B-6D3A1FA21EAC.jpeg

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
They also have the flat grippy versionsthat are supposed to be nice. I’ve got them on my Christmas list!

On a side note, trying to decide how to finish the entertainment center. My floors are this color/style. Walls are Repose Grey... thinking about going lighter and pulling out the almond/white of the floor color. Trying to look in to bleaching wood or staining it white on top of that color it is from the last pictures.

View attachment 320070
Ben Uyeda just did a video on whitewashing wood, I also hear Rubio monocote pure white is great will probably use it on the white oak bedside tables I'm doing next.

• 1Like

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Anyone fuck with DIY cnc router kits? I'd love to build a small one just for fun

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider

I have one of these and liked it at first, but quickly became something I wouldn't even bother with as sawdust / god knows what adhered to the rubber material and it has no more grip. Not sure if that is solveable, just wound up using a fence & push sticks to an equally solid effect, if I have to weight something down I just toss a 1-2 gallon container of de-icer or whatever laying around in the garage on top of it.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I have one of these and liked it at first, but quickly became something I wouldn't even bother with as sawdust / god knows what adhered to the rubber material and it has no more grip. Not sure if that is solveable, just wound up using a fence & push sticks to an equally solid effect, if I have to weight something down I just toss a 1-2 gallon container of de-icer or whatever laying around in the garage on top of it.

Yeah I had read that somewhere too and that denatured alcohol works and I’ve got some mineral spirits to try too. We’ll see.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah I had read that somewhere too and that denatured alcohol works and I’ve got some mineral spirits to try too. We’ll see.
This, you can clean them with the alcohol and they are as good as new.

Also christmas came early wood bros

20201127_115415.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Lol yeah helical would be nice maybe soon, it went in sale for 499 and couldn't pass it up, just in time to make cutting boards for Xmas presents.

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
So I've started taking home some real nice clean pallet wood from work recently. We get in a lot of 3M road tape and they always use these really nice maple (i think) boards. So I'm gonna try my hand at some small things with them.

Eventually one of these days I want to try to make a custom wooden flat file for all my Dwarven forge pieces.

And before you ask. Nope I dunno what I'm doing lol. So any tips any of yous might have are more then welcome.

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
The cost of non plywood lumber is absurd so my current project is 90% MDF. Hope it's not terrible.