Woodworking

whoo

<Silver Donator>
Im making this, for reference.
Personally, id use 3/4 birch plywood and edge band it if you don't want to see the layers. It will not sag. If you're going to use 1 x X pine (which is 3/4 thick), it will hold plenty of weight, but it will bow, dent, scratch etc, very easily.

What tools do you have to process the wood? If you don't have a table saw, you'll have to get HD to cut it for you, then sand it forever until it's nice and smooth.

You might be better off going to a hardwood supply and paying them to make you the shelves S4S (surfaced 4 sides) out of whatever hardwood you want (or plywood). Or a millwork supplier. Then all you have to do is any final sand/finish.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

whoo

<Silver Donator>
Thinking more on this, I'd definitely use plywood. Those flanges look close-ish to the edge of the shelves. If youre going to pass the pipe through the shelves and rely only on the screws in the flanges to carry the weight, I'd worry about splitting over time if not immediately.

• 1Like

whoo

<Silver Donator>
Gotcha. I've built desks with very similar design concepts (pic below). A few suggestions, if you're open to them and aren't already committed to that particular part list:

- Consider home center chain link fence top rail instead of aluminium tubing. It's $2/foot, doesn't require shipping, and is compatible with standard 1 3/8'' pipe fittings.
- You can get fittings with internal stops that will eliminate the need to drill through the panels, possibly saving you the purchase of a drill press. (Quik Klamp Base Flange - FarmTek)
- Either way, you can certainly drill through 3/4'' boards with a handheld drill and a forstner bit. Just make sure to use a sacrificial backer board so you don't blow out the fibers on the end of the hole.
- Get a decent pipe cutter and don't try to use a hacksaw. They're MUCH easier, cleaner, and give perfectly square results.

(If you do buy a drill press, they're either benchtop, which you can put anywhere, or come with their own freestanding column. No mounting required, typically)

View attachment 388763
The flanges you linked here are ideal for what I was talking about above re: Foler Foler s project. That desk looks nice and sturdy. Well done!

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Thinking more on this, I'd definitely use plywood. Those flanges look close-ish to the edge of the shelves. If youre going to pass the pipe through the shelves and rely only on the screws in the flanges to carry the weight, I'd worry about splitting over time if not immediately.
Ok catch me up here. Is plywood gonna be more sturdy than pine?

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Personally, id use 3/4 birch plywood and edge band it if you don't want to see the layers. It will not sag. If you're going to use 1 x X pine (which is 3/4 thick), it will hold plenty of weight, but it will bow, dent, scratch etc, very easily.

What tools do you have to process the wood? If you don't have a table saw, you'll have to get HD to cut it for you, then sand it forever until it's nice and smooth.

You might be better off going to a hardwood supply and paying them to make you the shelves S4S (surfaced 4 sides) out of whatever hardwood you want (or plywood). Or a millwork supplier. Then all you have to do is any final sand/finish.
Ugh. I actually have a table saw somewhere around here. Been 10 years since I’ve used it..

Option 2 sounds like more work than I want to put in. Need to research some things you mentioned. Lemme circle back in morning.

whoo

<Silver Donator>
Ok catch me up here. Is plywood gonna be more sturdy than pine?
Not to split hairs about wood, but the pre cut pine you get at the box stores is known as "whitewood" which is a generic term for SPF (Spruce, Pine, or Fir). If you're in the northwest, you might get lucky with a douglas fir, which is very dense for pine. In the southeast, you usually get imported SPF from the nordic countries. It's pretty with few knots, but very soft. Southern yellow pine can be harder than poplar, but I almost never see that in Box stores.

Because 3/4 plywood is made from 5-12 layers of veneer, sometimes with an MDF core, with the wood grain alternating at 90 degrees to the other plys, it's very strong. The glue tends to make it harder, but I'd still go for birch (a hardwood), over pine plywood. Birch sands better, has a tighter and more consistent grain. It will also take stain better if you want to do that. If not, it looks nice with just shellac, lacquer or poly. Pine will look like garage shelves.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
So I've lucked out in the tool department this year. Got myself a pretty decent starter bandsaw, my wife bought me a 3d printer for xmas, and my brother-in-law's mother just passed down to me a really nice 80's vintage Hegner scroll saw.

1640044792840.png

Took it for a test drive and made this, which will eventually go on a personalized gift for a Japanese friend.

1640044831365.png

(Wood is juniper, I think. I found a pile of it on the curb left by a neighbor's arborist and have been milling it down for small projects.)

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Not to split hairs about wood, but the pre cut pine you get at the box stores is known as "whitewood" which is a generic term for SPF (Spruce, Pine, or Fir). If you're in the northwest, you might get lucky with a douglas fir, which is very dense for pine. In the southeast, you usually get imported SPF from the nordic countries. It's pretty with few knots, but very soft. Southern yellow pine can be harder than poplar, but I almost never see that in Box stores.

Because 3/4 plywood is made from 5-12 layers of veneer, sometimes with an MDF core, with the wood grain alternating at 90 degrees to the other plys, it's very strong. The glue tends to make it harder, but I'd still go for birch (a hardwood), over pine plywood. Birch sands better, has a tighter and more consistent grain. It will also take stain better if you want to do that. If not, it looks nice with just shellac, lacquer or poly. Pine will look like garage shelves.
Plywood is just kinda ugly you know… These shelves will just have my electronics equipment on them. I won’t be doing actual work on them like a desk so maybe I can live with the softer pine?

For an actual tabletop workbench sounds like plywood would be better.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I haven't been following all of this but I'll add that

- Plywood is really no more or less ugly than anything else, completely dependent on how you finish it and use it. The Baltic Birch stuff sands and stains nicely and you can always do a veneer of something around the edge if you want to hide it or do a roundover on the edges. It is a very stable material. This isn't OSB or the sanded plywood stuff.

- If you go the pine route you're still going to have to figure out how to build a shelf. One annoying thing about those plans you linked was just starting off with "Grab your 14" x 67" shelf" with no further information. Even the picture on his instructions shows a glued up shelf. So if you don't go with a sheet good that comes in a size you can cut down to 14" x 67" (plylwood sheets usually come in 4' x 8' or 2' x 4' so you'd be stuck going with the 4' x 8' but you'd probably want that for two shelves) you have to make one. That usually involves combining a bunch of boards together.

Plywood tops or MDF tops on workbenches can be good because if they get dinged up or covered in stain or glue you can remove them and replace them with a fresh top. Otherwise you can build your bench out of laminating pine or whatever.

The 14" depth of the shelves and the bench is really inconvenient b/c either way you're out more than 1 sheet of ply. Even if they were 12" you can't get 4 out of one sheet b/c of the kerf of whatever saw you're using. It'd be close. So two 3/4" glued and screwed to give you a beefy bench and regular 3/4" shelves.

Actually, the easiest way to do this is go find some scrap table and rip the top off and tear it down. I've got like 3 tables that could probably be repurposed. Or something from Lowe's or Ikea that is $20 a pop. Or Homegoods or whatever that craft store is where chicks find pillows that say "GIRLS NIGHT OUT!" and "THIS HOUSE BUILT ON LOVE, Y'ALL"

1640061417637.png

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Whatever size wood screw where the head fits the flange, probably #8. Pick a length that won't come out the back of your shelf, accounting for the depth of the fitting, and pre-drill a hole that's slightly smaller than the shaft.

If your post above shows the exact fittings, you'll want a pan or round head. The normal flat head wood screw has a taper undereneath that will cause it to stick out when you tighten it to that fitting.
So I need some #14x3/4 wood screws. Can’t find them at hd or lowes. I did find metal ones in that size with round head.. look almost the same. Think I can substitute?

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I haven't been following all of this but I'll add that

- Plywood is really no more or less ugly than anything else, completely dependent on how you finish it and use it. The Baltic Birch stuff sands and stains nicely and you can always do a veneer of something around the edge if you want to hide it or do a roundover on the edges. It is a very stable material. This isn't OSB or the sanded plywood stuff.

- If you go the pine route you're still going to have to figure out how to build a shelf. One annoying thing about those plans you linked was just starting off with "Grab your 14" x 67" shelf" with no further information. Even the picture on his instructions shows a glued up shelf. So if you don't go with a sheet good that comes in a size you can cut down to 14" x 67" (plylwood sheets usually come in 4' x 8' or 2' x 4' so you'd be stuck going with the 4' x 8' but you'd probably want that for two shelves) you have to make one. That usually involves combining a bunch of boards together.

Plywood tops or MDF tops on workbenches can be good because if they get dinged up or covered in stain or glue you can remove them and replace them with a fresh top. Otherwise you can build your bench out of laminating pine or whatever.

The 14" depth of the shelves and the bench is really inconvenient b/c either way you're out more than 1 sheet of ply. Even if they were 12" you can't get 4 out of one sheet b/c of the kerf of whatever saw you're using. It'd be close. So two 3/4" glued and screwed to give you a beefy bench and regular 3/4" shelves.

Actually, the easiest way to do this is go find some scrap table and rip the top off and tear it down. I've got like 3 tables that could probably be repurposed. Or something from Lowe's or Ikea that is $20 a pop. Or Homegoods or whatever that craft store is where chicks find pillows that say "GIRLS NIGHT OUT!" and "THIS HOUSE BUILT ON LOVE, Y'ALL"

View attachment 389019
Just got back from lowes. You are correct. I did see some plywood that I think I could cut down to 72x14. Should I stain it? If so sanding necessary?

Captain Suave

Should I stain it? If so sanding necessary?

Up to you. They're workbench shelves, so the entire spectrum from rough cut unfinished to exotic wood, sanded, stained, and coated is acceptable.

So I need some #14x3/4 wood screws. Can’t find them at hd or lowes. I did find metal ones in that size with round head.. look almost the same. Think I can substitute?
Anything with a head larger than the holes in your flange is fine. #14 seems overkill.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Up to you. They're workbench shelves, so the entire spectrum from rough cut unfinished to exotic wood, sanded, stained, and coated is acceptable.

Anything with a head larger than the holes in your flange is fine. #14 seems overkill.
#14 is the smallest one for the flange unfortunately. Guess I’ll give those metal screws a shot

Captain Suave

#14 is the smallest one for the flange unfortunately. Guess I’ll give those metal screws a shot
Machine screws have a thread pitch too tight to work well in wood, especially if you're using softwood.

• 1Truth!

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Machine screws are also fully threaded which may not work as well for pulling the flange and wood together----

I started writing this like 45 minutes ago and got distracted with work and lost my train of thought. So nevermind.

Forgot to take a picture but all this talk of benchtops got me to go in to the shop and work on the coffee table top and try out the Wen benchtop jointer. It was like $210 or something on Amazon so figured why not just give it a shot before looking at a $1,000+ one. Not a bad little machine. I mean obviously it isn't an 8" Powermatic with 72" table but it seems to have done alright. Need practice on using it.

Remembered quickly how out of practice I am when trying to glue up 6 maple boards and get stuff cleaned up, clamped, and locked down. Will take a look tomorrow and try to sand it and clean up some of the glue, then maybe work on the base.

• 1Truth!

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Machine screws have a thread pitch too tight to work well in wood, especially if you're using softwood.
I don’t have any options here. I can’t find #14x3/4 round head wood screws. Wood working is frustrating…

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Can I just use a washer so I can use a smaller screw head?