Woodworking

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
i was impressed with the fine cuts he was making with the oscillating saw.

The trick is he cut both mating pieces simultaneously while they were butted up against each other. As long as the cut is more or less in a single plane they should join cleanly.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Spent the day practicing a through mortise before breaking actual pieces. Had a scrap cutoff of the maple to test on.

First attempt my layout was off by maybe 1/16" of an inch so when it broke through to the other side it caught the edge and blew out the backside.
Second one I paid a little closer attention and practiced using the mortise gauge a little more steady. It was going well until I chipped off the knife wall, wasn't paying attention and think I levered against it.
Third attempt went well and so moved on to the actual pieces and did all 4 of them.

Pretty happy with the results and they fit maybe a little too tight on the one test tenon I've cut. Would like to clean up the insides a bit and get better at not having them so rough. The last one was best, of course, since after 7 or 8 of the things my comfort level had grown. Went probably 3/4" of the way through the top so had less to punch through from the other side and that seemed to help the tear out going on in the mortise.

Tried to burnish the card scraper and just couldn't get it to scrape how I felt was right, not comparing it against YouTube instructions. Will try again but tomorrow is going to be mostly tenon cutting for these 4 mortise and seeing how the frame comes together. After all this work I am thinking of not doing the same joinery on the lower cross members and instead doing a bridal joint that I can pull off with a table saw, haha.

Moisture also slightly bowed my table top so would like to get it sealed up as well. But am kind of using it for my benchtop at the moment.

IMG_3448.jpg
IMG_3449.jpg
IMG_3450.jpg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Did you do it all with a chisel? Or did you drill out the middle first?

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Did you do it all with a chisel? Or did you drill out the middle first?

All chisel. After messing up the first couple I contemplated drilling it out on the press but decided that would defeat the purpose.

I have an older set from Amazon that I've been using and learning how to sharpen and maintain. It is making me consider a nicer Narex mortise chisel but it isn't like the cheap chisel is holding me back hah.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Btw my galvanized steel pipe/plywood shelving for my desk turned out pretty amazing. I actually didn’t use all the support that guy had in the article - didn’t need it, he was using aluminum and my steel is solid.

thanks everyone for input and help.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I have an old stanley chisel and a set of harbor freight ones. I'm trying not to buy any good chisels until I'm actually decent at using these piece of shit ones. Vast majority of my projects have been with power tool/table saw/etc.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I have an old stanley chisel and a set of harbor freight ones. I'm trying not to buy any good chisels until I'm actually decent at using these piece of shit ones. Vast majority of my projects have been with power tool/table saw/etc.

I bought a combo Trend diamond stone and honing guide and that's what I've used to learn on my cheap chisels and one stanley #4. Noticed today that the corner of my 1/2" was chipped, probably from the mortises yesterday, so re did it to 30 degree b/c it came out of the set at 35. Was trying (and failing) to clean up the shoulders on the tenons I was doing today and grabbed the 3/4" one to use. Man, I thought these were sharp out of the box but had not ever compared side by side the difference. Even with my zero skill at this it was night and day the sharpness of the 1/2".

Forgot to take pictures today of the dry fit. Not happy with the tenon shoulders. Spent forever trying to get them planed correctly. They're a millimeter out but it makes such a huge difference sitting flush with the mortise. Going to try a bit more tomorrow. Will take some pics and maybe try to glue it up. I'm thinking 9 degrees isn't bad enough to just clamp directly otherwise I'll rig up something.

• 1Like

Captain Suave

Not happy with the tenon shoulders. Spent forever trying to get them planed correctly.

Not sure in which dimension you're having problems with the shoulders, but an important joinery hack is to remember that your parts only need to be dead flush at the visible perimeter of the joints. You can undercut the faces of the shoulders by a degree or two to give yourself slack and everything will be that much easier to put together. Getting totally square/parallel/straight stock and marking is finnicky enough without having to also get all the non-visible surfaces perfect.

With your sharpening gear be sure to also use a leather strop. Super cheap, and a few strokes ever few minutes of chiseling will do wonders for keeping your work crisp. It'll even protect your chisels because you won't be driving force into a blunted or rolled cutting edge.

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Not sure in which dimension you're having problems with the shoulders, but an important joinery hack is to remember that your parts only need to be dead flush at the visible perimeter of the joints. You can undercut the faces of the shoulders by a degree or two to give yourself slack and everything will be that much easier to put together. Getting totally square/parallel/straight stock and marking is finnicky enough without having to also get all the non-visible surfaces perfect.

With your sharpening gear be sure to also use a leather strop. Super cheap, and a few strokes ever few minutes of chiseling will do wonders for keeping your work crisp. It'll even protect your chisels because you won't be driving force into a blunted or rolled cutting edge.

I had just finished that article on Fine Woodworking about undercutting. It will definitely help. Basically was trying to get them perfectly flat all the way around. Will give it a shot tomorrow. Thanks!

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>

I have good ones, but I always have a set of the harbor freight ones, too, for the more questionable chisel work I do. Like when it probably shouldn't be a chisel, but it is the fastest.

I recently procured one of these, and they're awesome. Cutting trim off exactly right for hardwood flooring, cutting something with a small gap, working between things, I've found so many times to use it, I recommend it.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Here is the final product btw. Just after mounting so it’s pretty empty and place is a mess.

99EB3F0C-7238-48C4-B70E-D08315990DA2.jpeg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm real bad at taking pictures but here is the C table with finish on it. I wanted to do dovetails but my wife wanted waterfall miters.
20220102_193754.jpg
20220102_193843.jpg
20220102_193804.jpg

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Did you spline the mitre or anything for strength?

Also really like the finish. What’d you go with? I picked up some keda aniline dye to try out instead of a normal stain. Trying to see if I can get something similar to that brown’ish.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
I used 3 biscuits in each miter as a spline, it won't matter if the kids stand on it but should help a little. I just finished it with some rubio pure, the wood is sapele so the oil just popped its color.

• 1Like

Captain Suave

Imagine the labor cost trying to build a house this way now, never mind the concept of disassembling and moving one.

Last edited:
  • 2Mother of God
  • 1Like
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 3 users