Woodworking

whoo

<Silver Donator>
Gonna go check this out tomorrow. May go with it.

Sande Plywood is marine grade plywood. It's tough and the glue used in it is water resistant, but the grain is coarser than plywood made for cabinetry.

If they don't have 3/4 birch or Maple (Columbia Forest Products 3/4 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. PureBond Maple Plywood-263012 - The Home Depot), the Sande is ok but won't finish as nicely.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Sande Plywood is marine grade plywood. It's tough and the glue used in it is water resistant, but the grain is coarser than plywood made for cabinetry.

If they don't have 3/4 birch or Maple (Columbia Forest Products 3/4 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. PureBond Maple Plywood-263012 - The Home Depot), the Sande is ok but won't finish as nicely.
Gotcha. What you linked isn’t in stock in any store anywhere near me. This is in stock tho. Lots of ppl complaining about delaminating. Honestly I just want something functional.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Soy-based, yikes 😳

Seriously though, you’re over thinking it. I know bc I do that constantly. Use whatever looks good and seems fine. You’ll know the difference.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Soy-based, yikes 😳

Seriously though, you’re over thinking it. I know bc I do that constantly. Use whatever looks good and seems fine. You’ll know the difference.
This. It's a shelf, not a nuclear power plant. If whatever you build isn't 100% optimal, you will still be able to put shit on it.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

whoo

<Silver Donator>
Gotcha. What you linked isn’t in stock in any store anywhere near me. This is in stock tho. Lots of ppl complaining about delaminating. Honestly I just want something functional.

The birch will be fine unless it's going in a pool house or you keep it at 80+ % humidity in your house. The Sande stuff would be better for outdoors given the high florida humidity, but indoors you'll be fine with the birch. Get a 25' roll of birch iron on edge banding too (if they have it)

• 1Solidarity

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Soy-based, yikes 😳

Yeah.. I’ll finish it tomorrow. I just want something functional to free up real estate on my workbench.

thanks everyone for help

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I used to use MDO (medium density overlay) not MDF a lot, though it's pretty hard to find at times. It's an exterior grade plywood normally used in sign making and such. Can get it 1s or 2s etc either brown or white surfaced...It looks really good painted over the coating which is what it is designed for. I used it for stuff in the shop that I wanted a smooth surface and then just slap some paint on it. Very durable and easy to work with. Not exactly cheap tho and as mentioned can be hard to find in some places. I used to get it in 4'x10' sheets in 3/8" and 1/2" thickness. Used it for the 2 sides in my teardrop trailer as well, had an aluminum outershell over it.

mdo_12.png

• 2Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I'd definitely do that if I didn't have the Dewalt already. Everything I have by Ridgid has been really good and solid for years. It is a shame that Emerson/TTI seems to be letting this line die slowly.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Another board and also making a C table for my wife which is in clamps right now.
20211224_153410.jpg
20211223_212642.jpg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Another board and also making a C table for my wife which is in clamps right now. View attachment 389653View attachment 389654

Hah, I wasn't even going to post my glue up for my coffee table. It has been so long since doing one I thought my process was down but ended up rushing and panicking and didn't get the squeeze out cleaned up correctly. Now I've gotta go back and fix this mess. Also out of the 12 maple boards it was almost impossible to get 6 that went together how I wanted so had to settle on these. Did all the planing with my #4 on the back side and am going to do the top side tomorrow.

It'll be 24x48 but is slightly larger and not squared at this point.

coffee table top.jpg

• 3Like

whoo

<Silver Donator>
Hah, I wasn't even going to post my glue up for my coffee table. It has been so long since doing one I thought my process was down but ended up rushing and panicking and didn't get the squeeze out cleaned up correctly. Now I've gotta go back and fix this mess. Also out of the 12 maple boards it was almost impossible to get 6 that went together how I wanted so had to settle on these. Did all the planing with my #4 on the back side and am going to do the top side tomorrow.

It'll be 24x48 but is slightly larger and not squared at this point.

View attachment 389656
That's really not a mess. Chisel off the big lumps (very sharp chisel), and use a card scraper on the seams. For anyone that works with wood more than once a year, i recommend learning to use and sharpen a card scraper (and a spokeshave too!). Nice looking wood!

Edit: clarification

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Rigid 13" Thickness Planer for $185 (plus paid shipping) right now if you act quick: RIDGID 13 in. Thickness Corded Planer-R4331 - The Home Depot

View attachment 389649

I checked before I came to post here and it still shows that price for me. Sadly I bought a thickness planer earlier this year. Good luck gents.

View attachment 389651

Welp, that looks like a good deal, at least from an uniformed consumer (I know nothing about planers).

...but they already fixed the bug in the system, when you proceed to checkout.

2021-12-24 20.17.34 www.homedepot.com 8e6f56584a50.png

• 1Wow!

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
That's really not a mess. Chisel off the big lumps (very sharp chisel), and use a card scraper on the seams. For anyone that works with wood more than once a year, i recommend learning to use and sharpen a card scraper (and a spokeshave too!). Nice looking wood!

I was on Amazon last night actually looking at cabinet scrapers and burnishers. Not that they're expensive or anything. Think it was this pair:

My plan was just to hit my #4 with the sharpening stones and dial it down and go over that side. Hadn't done any planing to it yet but thought maybe I'd get most of that. Never used a scraper though.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole

I love using a sharp card scraper, watching those little tiny spirals. Definitely my favorite wat to clean up tables.

• 1Like

whoo

<Silver Donator>
I was on Amazon last night actually looking at cabinet scrapers and burnishers. Not that they're expensive or anything. Think it was this pair:

My plan was just to hit my #4 with the sharpening stones and dial it down and go over that side. Hadn't done any planing to it yet but thought maybe I'd get most of that. Never used a scraper though.

The Amazon links aren't working for me, but If you have and can sharpen a bench plane, a card scraper will be easy for you and so worth the small amount of time you spend learning to use and sharpen it. I recommend handheld over the #80 cabinet scraper.

Here's a decent video on that.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
For anyone else in the DFW area in the same tool poor boat:

In my search I did find an artisan co-op group (like a club) with access to various professional tools for a whole slew of crafts. It looks pretty good for a hobbyist for $30 a month membership. Too bad it's over an hour and a half away (in Carrolton).

The problem with this place is they have hours of courses required to even get to touch most equipment. I was an engineer that designed one of the machines they had and they wouldn't let me touch it without a 6 hour training course on it.

I get training to some extent but that was ludicrous.

• 1Worf

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The problem with this place is they have hours of courses required to even get to touch most equipment. I was an engineer that designed one of the machines they had and they wouldn't let me touch it without a 6 hour training course on it.

I get training to some extent but that was ludicrous.
Looks like you need to bring up your point of personal privilege, at a meeting, to get some credential based waver in lieu of training put into the rulebook.

I only looked at what it would take to use their Jointer and Planer. It looked like one weekend morning, where they turn it on, show how to use the emergency shutoff, and have everyone use them under supervision to pass the course.

• 1Like