Woodworking

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
How hot were you running the throttle? I don't know what I'm talking about, but I've heard from people that do seem like they know what they're talking about say you need to break the saw in with mid-speeds only for at least the first 3 fuel tanks.

I haven't fired mine up yet, but that's my plan. I'm also gonna use 25:1 fuel mix for the first few tanks in the hopes of getting adequate lubrication while everything breaks in.

Yeah, I am probably gonna need to up the oil mix. It's so hard finding adequate data on what to do with this shit. The saw says use 25:1. The retailer says use 40:1. But, too much oil can foul your shit, and too little will sieze it. And if you look around, no one fucking knows. You just get a bunch of lumberjack wives tales "I've been running 37.5:1 for years in every saw and never had a problem" and "that 50:1 shit didn't come around until the EPA started getting into shit." It's so frustrating. There's a lot of information, but then fucking none at the same time.

Also, I ran the saw full throttle, because that's how you mill!

I have no idea what fucking world you have the luxury of just half throttling a saw for 3 tanks looks like. Sounds like a recipe for kickback to me.

Whatever, if the cylinder kit is $30, I'll just get another one. Fuck it, we're already here!

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I went back to the drawing board on my misaligned drawer divider issue. It didn't make sense in my mind and after drawing it out to try and address it by creating two more misaligned dividers. After looking at it in person I decided to just correct the overall issue.

Where the rear of the divider sits in the dado, I took a flush saw and cut it off. Nudged it back to my new line which made the front and back equal distant from the other far side divider. In the picture below the left side was in line with the left side of the stopped dado. Knocked it back about 3/8 of an inch.

1657044906543.png

Cutting it off meant I no longer had the end of the divider resting in the dado for support and also that I lost about a kerf width of the hand saw. The divider/runner/kicker being a little short didn't really concern me as it is so close to the leg I felt a little more pressure clamping it flush wasn't going to be an issue. For the second issue, even though there was surface area to glue, I wasn't 100% confident in the surface area mating up between the two. So to fix that I decided to drill two 1/4" holes through the outside of the apron in to the divider and pin the divider in place with some walnut dowels I had.

1657044933681.png

Because there is a center divider and right divider I also went ahead and did the same to them, more for aesthetics but maybe it couldn't hurt. A little sanding and finishing and I think they'll look good. Didn't get a shot of the back with the sets of dowels but I did snap a photo of the front and the completed dividers. The middle one went in easily and is centered just fine.

Now I just need to find a minute to start working on the two drawers and learn how to cut dovetails. If a couple of scrap practices don't go well then normal drawer construction will work. Not going to stress myself out on learning a new skill. Want to get this wrapped up before July 22nd.

1657045130524.png

Time management is really killing me. It is hard, for me, to start/stop/start/stop in 1 or 2 hour increments. It takes me a bit to get organized, think about what needs to be accomplished, get started, etc... But with everything going on in life, such that it is, there just isn't 8 hour chunks to commit to a hobby.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Took it apart. Cylinder is melted. We have learned 2 things -

One, Chinese saws are made of pot metal.
Two, mill with a fuckload of oil.

New piston cylinder kit will be here before the weekend and we'll keep going!

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Text looks like shit and need thicker stock, but otherwise looking good.

hey Cutlery Cutlery - want to deliver a few of those slabs to Oregon?
tmp_e7b7e56e-c6b8-4baf-8663-7c889fa5b032.jpg

tmp_cb3da654-42ac-426b-bcd8-2d7c7789ac7b.jpg

tmp_b3c83608-adc0-4a76-a381-2b558123ccc4.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Text looks like shit and need thicker stock, but otherwise looking good.

hey Cutlery Cutlery - want to deliver a few of those slabs to Oregon?
View attachment 420878

View attachment 420879

View attachment 420880

Man, I can barely move some of them. Won't be able to mill this weekend, since they sent my cylinder USPS, fucking doubtful it's gonna get here anytime soon. So I cleaned up the garage a bit and made about 4 inches more space than I need to get my truck in without moving the mill.

Can't even imagine how much water is in some of those. Some of those things have gotta be 80 fucking pounds each

• 1Like

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Man, I can barely move some of them. Won't be able to mill this weekend, since they sent my cylinder USPS, fucking doubtful it's gonna get here anytime soon. So I cleaned up the garage a bit and made about 4 inches more space than I need to get my truck in without moving the mill.

Can't even imagine how much water is in some of those. Some of those things have gotta be 80 fucking pounds each
The pine that I milled a couple years ago felt like it lost at least half its weight if not 75% over the course of a year. I milled 4x4s out of a log that had been on the ground and was able to carry two at a time no problem. I milled 4x4s out of a fresher tree and had to bring the truck closer to the boards so I could angle them onto the tailgate lol

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
When I was moving all the big pieces of wood that my neighbor gave me, I almost threw a 3x6 into the air when I went to pick it up. 50 year old wood, the thing weighs as much as balsa

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
The pine that I milled a couple years ago felt like it lost at least half its weight if not 75% over the course of a year. I milled 4x4s out of a log that had been on the ground and was able to carry two at a time no problem. I milled 4x4s out of a fresher tree and had to bring the truck closer to the boards so I could angle them onto the tailgate lol

I do a lot of work with paper mills. Green hardwoods are ~45% water by mass and softwoods can be upwards of 55%. For woodworking that should ideally come down to ~10%. It's why drying lumber is such a finnicky process.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Yeah, that'll be the next step of all of this. Thankfully from what I've read, walnut seems to be semi forgiving of this.

As soon as I get it all milled, i've gotta find some room outside. Right now it's in the garage, which isn't too terrible - it's not like it's any different temperature/humidity than outside, and at least it's protected from sun/rain/bugs. Not entirely sure where I'm gonna put all this. Might just do it euro style and strap all the slabs together with the top and bottom, that may in fact be the best case scenario for me with this.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Fractals are cool and I've seen this technique a bunch in my Instagram feed. I've also been electrocuted a couple times and this sets off most of my "that looks like a bad fucking idea" warning bells.

(Start at 7:20 if the timestamp doesn't work. Gnarly survivor hand photo at 13:04.)

Last edited:

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
My wife asked me about doing this a couple months ago. I told her no way in hell. It’s so easy to electrocute yourself even if you’re very careful and detail oriented (which she is not). A few weeks ago she says to me “glad you talked me out of this” while showing me an article of all the deaths resulting from people trying to do this.

Sadly I wasn’t recording. That’s the closest i can recall her getting that close to saying “you were right” 😭

Goatface

guess thankfully saw a big clive (ave for cheap electronics and lights) when he did a video years ago when it was 1st getting coverage when a guy died.
sorta strange, right after he put the video out, the wife of the dead guy asked him to take it down, which he did. about 2 months ago, he did a vid talking about why he never did a video on it.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Cutlery Cutlery i fired up my g660 for the first time this morning. Running great so far but I noticed the chain was catching when I was plunge cutting. I figured it was because I was babying the throttle. Turns out the chain brake was on and I’m an idiot. Guess I get to shop for my first aftermarket upgrade!

Last edited:

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Cutlery Cutlery i fired up my g660 for the first time this morning. Running great so far but I noticed the chain was catching when I was plunge cutting. I figured it was because I was babying the throttle. Turns out the chain brake was on and I’m an idiot. Guess I get to shop for my first aftermarket upgrade!

Being an idiot is part of the process here, I'm pretty sure!

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I posted this in my thread too, but reposting here because I'm pumped it worked out pretty well.
Crater Lake, OR
Just picked up some 3in thick log ends from the guy down the street, too. I'll try again on one of those, this time with bathymetry. I also learned that I've really been fucking up my speeds & feeds....I should be running these things way faster than I have been.
20220709_223009.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I posted this in my thread too, but reposting here because I'm pumped it worked out pretty well.
Crater Lake, OR
Just picked up some 3in thick log ends from the guy down the street, too. I'll try again on one of those, this time with bathymetry. I also learned that I've really been fucking up my speeds & feeds....I should be running these things way faster than I have been.
View attachment 421279

It did all the outside work and the relief stuff inside too? That's crazy. Or are those lines at N / S where you joined two outside halves? That's really cool.

Now do one of Norrath.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
It did all the outside work and the relief stuff inside too? That's crazy. Or are those lines at N / S where you joined two outside halves? That's really cool.

Now do one of Norrath.
Yea, it did all that with different endmills.

If someone can get me the terrain map of Norrath in a format I can use, ill do one.

Don't we have some OG Everquest developers on this forum? Someone get me the 3d mesh/TIN/Greyscale heightmap of Norath. ;)

Edit: and a bigger, $40k CNC.

• 1Worf

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Yea, it did all that with different endmills.

If someone can get me the terrain map of Norrath in a format I can use, ill do one.

Don't we have some OG Everquest developers on this forum? Someone get me the 3d mesh/TIN/Greyscale heightmap of Norath. ;)

Edit: and a bigger, $40k CNC.
It looks great, I think the border is a little busy though. Shrug.

I have no idea what’s out there but seems like it could be a great side hustle.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
It looks great, I think the border is a little busy though. Shrug.

I have no idea what’s out there but seems like it could be a great side hustle.
Thanks. I think most of it is going to disappear when I plane it down. The graphic artist at work actually helped me with that and this is the first one. She thought the same thing when she saw it.

You guys that have been making stuff for awhile - how do you deal with family and friends asking for stuff? I have about 15 people right now asking if I can make one for them and I keep thinking "I want to actually make these things and sell them to pay for better toys. I can't do 20 fucking freebies or heavy discounts a year".

I also don't want to charge friends and family what it would actually cost when everything gets factored it.

Anyone have a tried and true, gentle way to say that?