Woodworking

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
If it turns out it is substantially wider on the end
The amount of deflection would be the same on the top and bottom of each cut, so they're still parallel, if not necessarily level (ignoring the tiny curvature in the bend of the bar).

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
The amount of deflection would be the same on the top and bottom of each cut, so they're still parallel, if not necessarily level (ignoring the tiny curvature in the bend of the bar).

There's that too.

You don't actually need the saw level - you just need every cut to be coplanar.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
There's that too.

You don't actually need the saw level - you just need every cut to be coplanar.
My saw came in yesterday so I’m anxiously awaiting your report. Like goatface, I assumed I’d need to stabilize the tip of the bar.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
My saw came in yesterday so I’m anxiously awaiting your report. Like goatface, I assumed I’d need to stabilize the tip of the bar.

I'll fire it up tonight. All I need to do is drill in the chocks to support the log and we're good to go.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
So today I got some time to sand and clean the cabinet for my table saw. Next week I might get to painting it.
Before:
20220701_141925.jpg

After:
20220701_144512.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Hot knife thru butter.

However, modifications must be made. Do gotta figure out support for the far end of the bar.
IMG_20220701_172632911.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
This may well turn into the small engine repair thread. Thing died 3/4 thru a cut. I figured it was out of gas...still plenty in there, but it's got a fuel filter on an end of a hose, so that could have came out of the fuel, so I filled it up.

Unfortunately, nothing. Won't start. New spark plug, won't start. I'm getting spark off it. Been about 25 years since I've done small engine repair, so I guess I'm googling that for the rest of the evening.

This is why we can't have nice things!

Last edited:

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Aight, I think I've got bar flex figured out.

Piece of angle iron going up from the saw mount about a foot. Piece of angle iron running over the saw parallel to it. Drill a hole in the bar near the tip, run threaded rod thru the hole, attach to angle iron, pull to level.

• 1Like

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
This should work.

IMG_20220702_090904481_HDR.jpg

Got all the nuts and bolts for the threaded rod, forgot to get the hardware to deal with the angle iron. I've turned into the man I laughed at when I worked at Ace when I was a kid!

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
This should work.

View attachment 420027

Got all the nuts and bolts for the threaded rod, forgot to get the hardware to deal with the angle iron. I've turned into the man I laughed at when I worked at Ace when I was a kid!

Just a thought - what if you replaced one of the bolts on the bar right by the body with another long threaded rod up through the angle iron? That way you wouldn't be flexing the blade against the body at all, but it would be 100% bar pressure on your wood.

Maybe a dumb thought.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Just a thought - what if you replaced one of the bolts on the bar right by the body with another long threaded rod up through the angle iron? That way you wouldn't be flexing the blade against the body at all, but it would be 100% bar pressure on your wood.

Maybe a dumb thought.

No, it's a great thought...I just didn't think of it first. Now I've got all the iron, so nbd.

Slabbed that other log, leveled the mill in every direction. Sharpened both saw blades, rain just stopped, might be able to roll the other one over here shortly and get going.

Pics and videos to come later.

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Got the cnc up and running. Doing a 4 hour test topo now. I'd take pics, but my phone is busted.

Working pretty well so far.

edit: used the woman's phone
1656804478139.png

Screenshot_20220702-164506_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220702-164520_Gallery.jpg

pictures not loading

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
IMG_20220702_213600696.jpg

IMG_20220702_183101258.jpg

Stack so far, and the final rig.

I gotta admit though, I am kinda at my wits end.

We leveled the bar. We leveled the rig. The top of the log is level. It's level in literally every plane across the entire rig. We secured the mount from moving in any direction.

1-1/2 on one side, 2" on the other.

Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot. Over.

• 1Like