Woodworking

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Finished up the liquor cabinet. Lots of lessons learned on this project. I feel like it was like 90% coming up with creative ways to cover up mistakes and out of square plywood. That said, I'm pretty happy with the results.
When I was doing woodworking in 4-H as a kid the guy who was teaching me said that a good woodworker isn't one that doesn't make mistakes but one that knows how to cover them up so according to him you're doing it right.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
The poplar frame came out real nice. I couldn’t quite get my frame on the dog crate to smooth out that well and look seamless. Had a lot to do with rushing also but yours is awesome. Also like the drawer fronts. Did you use slide hardware or just wood runners?
RE: face frame - Prepping for painting(and painting itself) is an entire art in itself, really. I'm not very good at it, but you really have to take your time, use a filler/epoxy on any even remotely small holes, but especially near the seams. Sanded from 120 - 240, then wet it several times to raise grain and lightly hand sanded those each time. Then lightly sanding between every coat of primer(3) and every coat of paint(3). I won't be making a lot of painted pieces like this, but the wife wanted it blue.

RE: drawers - I used slide hardware and it's honestly one of my main gripes on the finished product. They were relatively cheapo ones from Amazon and they just feel cheap when you open/close the drawers. I also didn't cover the plywood edges on the drawers with any edge trim, but I kinda' dig the ply look since it's not really using any fancy joinery anyway.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
RE: face frame - Prepping for painting(and painting itself) is an entire art in itself, really. I'm not very good at it, but you really have to take your time, use a filler/epoxy on any even remotely small holes, but especially near the seams. Sanded from 120 - 240, then wet it several times to raise grain and lightly hand sanded those each time. Then lightly sanding between every coat of primer(3) and every coat of paint(3). I won't be making a lot of painted pieces like this, but the wife wanted it blue.

RE: drawers - I used slide hardware and it's honestly one of my main gripes on the finished product. They were relatively cheapo ones from Amazon and they just feel cheap when you open/close the drawers. I also didn't cover the plywood edges on the drawers with any edge trim, but I kinda' dig the ply look since it's not really using any fancy joinery anyway.

Yeah I had the same experience with cheapo drawer slides from Amazon for my Mom's end table and then used some nice "real" (for lack of better term) ones and it was night and day the sturdiness, feel of the pull, the soft close. Ridiculous to even make that statement since most times, not all the time, you get what you pay for. Drawer slides certainly seem to be an item that fits squarely in that rule of thumb.

• 1Like

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
How light? Send some pics. The walnut I used on these drawers looked much lighter/drier before I finished it. If you spray some water on the walnut, does the color pop back to what it was before? If so, you're all good.

IMG_20221008_142425138.jpg

From the firewood rack.

IMG_20221008_142559226.jpg

From the stack drying. And no, it's not sun bleached...it's in the shade, and it's also put back together as a log with the stickers in between slabs, ratchet strapped together.

Not entirely sure why it's changing as it dries like that. As I said...I've got plenty of firewood that didn't.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
View attachment 436985
From the firewood rack.

View attachment 436986

From the stack drying. And no, it's not sun bleached...it's in the shade, and it's also put back together as a log with the stickers in between slabs, ratchet strapped together.

Not entirely sure why it's changing as it dries like that. As I said...I've got plenty of firewood that didn't.
Walnut just oxidizes and fades with age unless you protect it with a finish. Sunlight, heat, air, all accelerate. How old is that stack?

Edit: I don't imagine the bleaching goes very deep. It'll probably darken up again when you resurface it.

Last edited:

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Walnut just oxidizes and fades with age unless you protect it with a finish. Sunlight, heat, air, all accelerate. How old is that stack?

Edit: I don't imagine the bleaching goes very deep. It'll probably darken up again when you resurface it.

I finished milling that in July, it's drying now. Won't be dry enough to work with for another year+

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I both like it and don't like it at the same time. It's a neat idea but those axe toes sticking up, even if they have no edge, would get annoying.

Flat top bearded axe would have been better, but more expensive (there are other flat head axe options, I just like a bearded axe).
Something like this:
cff32188ff7fb0374def1a2e80275b5f.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah. Looks pretty cool until you slit your wrist trying to set your drink down.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
My local hardwood spot really ticked me off today and I walked out mid sale. Just a lot of irritating things and I’ll spare the whole story. Really just plain rudeness and piss poor customer appreciation/ service.

Anyways! Combing Facebook and Google and whatever equivalent of YellowPages still exists stumbled across this picture from a local place under their “Custom Projects” section.

Looks like I’m back to buying online until I find some other place around central Arkansas.

EDF8A6F8-C11B-425E-88EC-F8D5B451D388.jpeg

Goatface

i watch EngelsCoachShop (very good, if you like wagons), and he peens/rivets stuff together from time to time, but don't think ever seen him explain it
1666307189239.png

anyone know about this stuff? what is that punch called? i thought it was doming, but that appears to be the opposite with dome out. also, what kind of rod is used to do this?
guess i am using wrong terms, as searches really not turning up much.

lurker

Vyemm Raider
i watch EngelsCoachShop (very good, if you like wagons), and he peens/rivets stuff together from time to time, but don't think ever seen him explain it
View attachment 439093
anyone know about this stuff? what is that punch called? i thought it was doming, but that appears to be the opposite with dome out. also, what kind of rod is used to do this?
guess i am using wrong terms, as searches really not turning up much.
Google "riveting punch".

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Anyone have an online source for "cabinet grade plywood", 1in (or greater) thickness? I know, Russia....war.....etc. 1in+ seems rare anyways in a google search, so I figured it was worth an ask.

F'ing shitty plywood....

Screenshot_20221107-193925.png

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Anyone have an online source for "cabinet grade plywood", 1in (or greater) thickness? I know, Russia....war.....etc. 1in+ seems rare anyways in a google search, so I figured it was worth an ask.

F'ing shitty plywood....

View attachment 441784

I was just about to buy a sample of ply from Woodworkers Resource. They don’t have 1” and they don’t have 4x8 sheets. I’d think shipping 4x8 would be prohibitive. Possibly you could find something from Lowes or HD that is higher quality than what they keep in stock local and they ship to store for free. Our on hand stuff is mostly crap like 7 layer or something.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I was just about to buy a sample of ply from Woodworkers Resource. They don’t have 1” and they don’t have 4x8 sheets. I’d think shipping 4x8 would be prohibitive. Possibly you could find something from Lowes or HD that is higher quality than what they keep in stock local and they ship to store for free. Our on hand stuff is mostly crap like 7 layer or something.
I wouldn't complain about 2ftx2ft sheets. Only thing I have local is home Depot and they don't have shit. Cabinets shops don't have anything over 0.75in.

I was just at an airBnB that had stairs made out of 1.5in though.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm

F'ing shitty plywood....

View attachment 441784
Have you experimented with gluing up some Baltic Birch yourself? The demand for 1 inch+ ply is probably so low that it has to be silly expensive.

How far are you from Seattle? They have to have some wood warehouses with a good selection of quality ply. For the shit you are doing, I don't see how you can get around using a low void ply like Baltic Birch.

This place is one of the largest wood warehouses in DFW, and I don't see any of their ply over 3/4in (18mm).

The below video talks about various way to glue up 2 pieces of ply. Joining two whole sheets together, w/o using screws, does look like a pain in the ass that needs some expensive clamps/press or maybe just 100s of pounds of sandbags.

If you got a veneer press, you could make your own high quality ply for doing what you are doing, if you are making this a side business and people are willing to pay for that higher quality.

Last edited:
  • 1Like