Woodworking

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I had to take a break from the liquor cabinet build I've been working on. Number one lesson is I always need to just go through my friend for any wood. He owns a custom upholstery/furniture business, so I can get stuff at wholesale price. I just hate bothering him, but after the plywood I got at Lowe's for this project, I just can't deal with trash quality sheet goods. Anyway, I'm trying some creative fixes to this thing before I share any pics.

In the meantime, I built another little box last weekend. Box is made of cherry, lid is ash with walnut trim on the inside. The walnut trim was actually done because I cut the rabbet too big on the inside of the lid and it was way too lose. Now it looks like a conscious design decision, so I don't tell anyone that. I'll take it! Finish is boiled linseed oil and I gave it a once-over spray of satin polyurethane.

1662749182928.png
1662749203160.png
1662749218595.png
1662749251801.png

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I had to take a break from the liquor cabinet build I've been working on. Number one lesson is I always need to just go through my friend for any wood. He owns a custom upholstery/furniture business, so I can get stuff at wholesale price. I just hate bothering him, but after the plywood I got at Lowe's for this project, I just can't deal with trash quality sheet goods. Anyway, I'm trying some creative fixes to this thing before I share any pics.

In the meantime, I built another little box last weekend. Box is made of cherry, lid is ash with walnut trim on the inside. The walnut trim was actually done because I cut the rabbet too big on the inside of the lid and it was way too lose. Now it looks like a conscious design decision, so I don't tell anyone that. I'll take it! Finish is boiled linseed oil and I gave it a once-over spray of satin polyurethane.

View attachment 432571 View attachment 432572 View attachment 432573 View attachment 432574

That’s really awesome! How did you do the box joints? I have a project in mind that will require a ton and was considering building a jig or getting one off Rockler. I’d probably do the jig 1st just to see how it works out.

In other news we just found out we’re expecting tonight. Already decided last month when we were trying that building a crib was out the window. I’m not an overprotective worry wort sky is falling person. But a crib is something I’d rather have a professional company make and me buy.

But maybe a changing table or bookcase for babies room. Something to commemorate the birth.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
That’s really awesome! How did you do the box joints? I have a project in mind that will require a ton and was considering building a jig or getting one off Rockler. I’d probably do the jig 1st just to see how it works out.

In other news we just found out we’re expecting tonight. Already decided last month when we were trying that building a crib was out the window. I’m not an overprotective worry wort sky is falling person. But a crib is something I’d rather have a professional company make and me buy.

But maybe a changing table or bookcase for babies room. Something to commemorate the birth.
Congrats on the incoming baby!

For the box joints, I just made a really simple jig attached to my miter gauge / slot on the table saw:

1662822242321.png

• 2Like

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Speaking of the liquor cabinet I'm working on. I was using a flush trim router bit to trim the excess off the face frame I attached to the cabinet. As I came up to the end of one side, I suddenly gouged a 1/4 into the face frame. I shut the router off and the bearing that is supposed to keep it "flush" had completely flow apart. Lesson learned: Don't buy no-name router bit sets that cost as much as a single decent router bit.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 1 user

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
Bookshelf you can add to over time as the kid grows. Could be a cool family relic.

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I found a picture of a changing table with drawers, which really is just a dresser with a slightly different top which could then be added to / stacked with shelving or additional drawers down the line.

I like that idea though. A place to put diapers, baby clothes, Etc and something to grow in to. Was also considering a rocking chair / foot stool for mom. But chairs seem like another galaxy when compared to building squares and rectangles.

Something like this, but modified. Sorry for mobile attachment. Can resize tomorrow.

0D529087-3C27-4891-A741-4D7E63555BD2.jpeg

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
But chairs seem like another galaxy when compared to building squares and rectangles.
If you're like me you would convince yourself that you could build the chair, then destroy about $800 worth of lumber and finish it about the time the kid graduates from high school.

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I want to design a concealed gun cabinet for my PCP air rifle, in Fusion360. What I'm thinking would include cabinet hinges, gas struts and some kind of latch.

Anyone know where I can find 3D models of hinges, searchable by part number or something? Other than the usual places, like Sketchfab or Thingiverse? Tons of cabinet shops use CNC machines, so I assume there'd be a way to search for cabinet hinge models and just import them directly into Fusion, right?

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I want to design a concealed gun cabinet for my PCP air rifle, in Fusion360. What I'm thinking would include cabinet hinges, gas struts and some kind of latch.

Anyone know where I can find 3D models of hinges, searchable by part number or something? Other than the usual places, like Sketchfab or Thingiverse? Tons of cabinet shops use CNC machines, so I assume there'd be a way to search for cabinet hinge models and just import them directly into Fusion, right?

When I’ve done this in Fusion it only involves making the depth and outline allowance. I figured it won’t be articulating in Fusion so placement and depth works to give me an idea. That’s not telling you anything you don’t know already. Actually having a hinge model would be useful. But there’s also as many hinge styles and types as grains of sand…

Be interested to know what you find.

• 1Like

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
I found a picture of a changing table with drawers, which really is just a dresser with a slightly different top which could then be added to / stacked with shelving or additional drawers down the line.

I like that idea though. A place to put diapers, baby clothes, Etc and something to grow in to. Was also considering a rocking chair / foot stool for mom. But chairs seem like another galaxy when compared to building squares and rectangles.

Something like this, but modified. Sorry for mobile attachment. Can resize tomorrow.

View attachment 432808

Our changing table was similar, but had a rim around the top so the kid couldn't roll off if you needed to move a hand off them for half a second.

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
When I’ve done this in Fusion it only involves making the depth and outline allowance. I figured it won’t be articulating in Fusion so placement and depth works to give me an idea. That’s not telling you anything you don’t know already. Actually having a hinge model would be useful. But there’s also as many hinge styles and types as grains of sand…

Be interested to know what you find.
Yea, the actual hinge behavior and creating an animation/simulation is something I wanted to try and learn and this seemed like a good project to use as an excuse. I found a few hinges I like and looked on the manufacturers website, bit didn't see any 3d models offered

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Our changing table was similar, but had a rim around the top so the kid couldn't roll off if you needed to move a hand off them for half a second.
Yeah that was one modification I really want to make so thanks for reminding me!

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider

View attachment 432571 View attachment 432572 View attachment 432573 View attachment 432574
That is beautiful dude.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
How is that any better than wood glue?

Modern US houses are built cheap, so cheap, I doubt they take the time to apply wood glue on any molding. They just walk around with a nail gun and nail that shit up as fast as possible.

Hell, the crew that did our house didn't even double check the milling of some of the factory joints (where they glued two or more shorter lengths of wood together to make a 10 foot piece of molding). Once the paint was on, you had very noticeable ridges/stripes where the factory failed to mill the face of molding level.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
How is that any better than wood glue?
Those miters are essentially end grain joints; the glue doesn't add much. Moulding isn't glued during installation because a) it's not under load and doesn't need it and b) then it would be impossible to repair or renovate.

• 1Like

Goatface

watched that when it first came out, but now there are a bunch of good comments.

That’s a press ring. They use to route out the circle using a special guide in shape of a triangle that looked somewhat like a speed square it was designed to hold the corner together, then they would lay small wet sponges on top of the inner circle to soften the wood then they would tap the hexagonal press ring down into the round channel leaving the inner circle in the shape of a hexagon.

As others have written, there were/are specific tools to make the cuts. The purpose behind the hex ring is to lock the miter into place on houses that breath. Before the advent of Air Conditioning, keeping cold air inside the house was never a consideration, keeping the inside of the walls dry was of primary importance, even when insulated, air was allowed to move between walls. Walls rarely had horizontal part and were of a ballon wall construction, so air could literally flow the entire hight of the wall to the eve. While this keeps the walls dry, and thus they do not rot, it causes really large swings in the size of wood joints. Your miters would swell in the winter and shrink in the summer, locking the miters was the solution. While the would is still swelling and shrinking, the hex ring keeps the miter tight.

• 1Wow!
  • 1Like

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Those miters are essentially end grain joints; the glue doesn't add much. Moulding isn't glued during installation because a) it's not under load and doesn't need it and b) then it would be impossible to repair or renovate.
The glue would add enough to keep it from separating like he shows on the one doorframe in his house. The cost of time and resources to make and put that octagonal ring in, still looks like it would be more than the cost of just gluing it, then replacing the whole frame, if its damaged.

Doesn't this video show that gluing end grain joints isn't totally worthless? (think this has been linked here before, dont know how else I would have seen it)

And a follow up video of the glue adds strength, but not close to as much as the various joinery options used/needed in furniture or load bearing applications.

Last edited: