Woodworking

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
The black tail studios guy takes his slabs to a “local” shop with a huge planer on a conveyor. That may be your only practical solution - though with how crafty you are, a router sled would be an effective solution as well. It may take some research for the material and designing the support for that wide of a span. Obviously any flexing or sagging of the lateral rails would affect the planing.

Yeah, I gotta look into seeing if there is such a place near me.

I went out there this weekend and I can lift these stacks now, so they are drying pretty quick.
IMG_20220805_165015164.jpg

• 3Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 3 users

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, I gotta look into seeing if there is such a place near me.

I went out there this weekend and I can lift these stacks now, so they are drying pretty quick.View attachment 445198
There should be a bunch of places that would let you buy some cuts for your own stuff, but it's a hell of a time finding them. I have tried a 3 or 4 times to find a place in DFW that will do CNC wood cutting, using the internet and dont see shit.

The closest place that I found that will do planing, jointing, and even huge glue up projects is almost 2 hours away.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Find out where they sell fancy woodworking lumber in your area and ask around there.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Cabinet shops also. I have a friend whose family owns a large cabinet making business and they've offered me use of their large format planers and sanders.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

whoo

<Silver Donator>
Look for millwork shops. Any shop that makes custom stairs, windows, mouldings, and architectural woodworking will have the equipment to make or process/finish big stuff.

• 1Like

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
So this is my 2nd finished woodworking project ever. I've made random dumb junk for garages but those were just rough cut shelves. So I wanted a place for all my Dwarven forge pieces. So I made this. Including the handles. I bought rings and made the back plates from an old desk. And the nails were carpet tacks I beat up.
20221125_171029.jpg
20221125_141428.jpg

• 11Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 11 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
So this is my 2nd finished woodworking project ever. I've made random dumb junk for garages but those were just rough cut shelves. So I wanted a place for all my Dwarven forge pieces. So I made this. Including the handles. I bought rings and made the back plates from an old desk. And the nails were carpet tacks I beat up. View attachment 446113View attachment 446115

That’s really cool! Aligning all those drawers and drawer fronts sound like a nightmare. Did you use slides or just wood runners for them?

I got an Apple Watch for Mrs. Intrinsic and in typical fashion I wanted to make a box to give it to her. Of course having never made just “a box” has proven to be irritating. Spent the day winging it and have some stuff drying in the shop. Will try and post some pictures tomorrow.

Jointer is supposed to be delivered tomorrow also. And electrician owes me a quote to run 230 to the other side of the garage. We decided it would be easier to go outside and around rather than tearing up the whole inside drywall. Just run a new circuit from the main panel outside of the garage. It is on the backside of the house so no one will see, and be underneath the deck. Then finish dust collection.

Phew…

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
That’s really cool! Aligning all those drawers and drawer fronts sound like a nightmare. Did you use slides or just wood runners for them?

I got an Apple Watch for Mrs. Intrinsic and in typical fashion I wanted to make a box to give it to her. Of course having never made just “a box” has proven to be irritating. Spent the day winging it and have some stuff drying in the shop. Will try and post some pictures tomorrow.

Jointer is supposed to be delivered tomorrow also. And electrician owes me a quote to run 230 to the other side of the garage. We decided it would be easier to go outside and around rather than tearing up the whole inside drywall. Just run a new circuit from the main panel outside of the garage. It is on the backside of the house so no one will see, and be underneath the deck. Then finish dust collection.

Phew…
I wanted to do wood runners since the Dwarven forge stuff was going to get really heavy. The drawers are 24x24. And I've never done wood runners before so I gave it whirl.
20221106_190542.jpg

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I wanted to do wood runners since the Dwarven forge stuff was going to get really heavy. The drawers are 24x24. And I've never done wood runners before so I gave it whirl. View attachment 446234

I prefer wood runners because fuck drawer hardware and hardware in general. :p

Not bitter...

But seriously, a little sand and a little wax and they're a dream.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Its cool but I dont like the exposed ply edges. Why did you not make a face frame for the whole thing?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
Did you close in the back? If you haven't, I would recommend doing that, even if it just with 1/8 plywood or similar. It will add a lot of stability to the structure.
Yup I did. And that was exactly what I used and did.

Oh I also should mention. I made the whole thing from pallets and shipping crates from work. we got a bunch of boxes made from bitch ply. So we disassembled them and took my share. I've also got a bunch of 3/4 birch ply. But it was small.

I couldn't decide if I wanted to do a face frame or not. So I tried a few trial pieces from scrap. I kinda liked how the plywood edge looked. Made it pop a little.

The drawer fronts are also made from, pine, maple or oak, and cedar.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Because of the drawer fronts and the variation in the grain running across them, especially in some of the tighter ones, the plywood edging doesn't stand out as much. They do a good job complimenting each other and it not being so distracting, to me, versus doing a full face frame. Looks as if this got the job done and you're happy with it, and it looks good.

• 1Like

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
Get some dial soap or some dove 99 pure and run along the drawer runners and case runners. Lasts a long time as a lube for heavy pulls. Old trick from an antique store I used to work at.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Jointer arrived… going to have to find a way to unpack this thing. Also need the electrician to come by and do the 230 circuit. Would try to do it myself but with Christmas travel, work… Going to end up costing me more than I want because of what is being asked. May as well plan for future growth and make things easier, go ahead and get it done.

While receiving the delivery also took a couple hours to work on the jewelry box. Ran in to a slight issue with the miter splines. What I’m “pretty sure” happened is a few things…

1) The Sapele and Maple that were cut for splines was not as uniform in thickness as assumed (going to be honest and say that a scrap was used and said scrap was assumed to be flat, square, true). That contributed to one spline that didn’t quite fill the cut.

II) The glue squeeze out when inserting the spline hid the fact it was not 100% flush on the recess, so as a result there are two slightly off. Really thought it paid attention to this and cleaned all the squeeze out specifically to avoid this issue.

C) Tried to make the grain direction of the spline match that of the side of the box. Not sure that was 100% and am thinking it would have been better to align it perpendicular. This isn’t for strength reasons, in the case, purely cosmetic and the way flush cutting them worked. Even with sufficient glue, having the grain running along the length seemed to allow for more tear out of the spline while flush cutting. Maybe… not quite sure.

This is what happens with learning by doing. But I’m happy with it. Enough to use it for a present at least. Got the felt in the bottom of the trays. Will do the top and handle tomorrow hopefully.

Probably have to resize tomorrow, phone pics post large.

2B2A00D2-D1B3-4F4F-84D5-1E29EC632C40.jpeg

• 1Quality Calories