Woodworking

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Hopefully this doesn’t blow up browsers since I’m posting on mobile…

Just wanted to show that even after years of using a table saw what stupid mistakes you can make when you’re rushing and distracted. Luckily this was about the “safest” of stupid mistakes.

View attachment 475733

That took me surprisingly long to see what was wrong, lol.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
lol I was rushing on a side project trying to get a couple things finished before dinner, swapping out a dado stack, rip blade, crosscut blade, and just got careless.

I was cutting that little piece of trim I made (poplar) and went “wtf now!” When it barely cut through and burnt the hell out of the end. Was just frustrated about some other stuff and this was one last thing I wanted to screw up. Then I saw what had happened and turned the saw off and called it an evening.

Times like that are when it is better to just walk away and approach it tomorrow before you make an even bigger safety mistake.

• 1Solidarity

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Well, either this firewood moisture meter I bought is straight Chinesium, or this walnut is dry.

View attachment 475546

Those look really good. Remarkably little cupping from what I can see.

I have a friend with a portable mill. I have a couple of black cherry trees we're going to take down and mill to about 1" thick slabs. These trees are massive, about 30 inch diameter at the base, and they're both about 70 feet tall, and they are arrow straight. There is going to be a crazy amount of lumber from this, and I'm considering making into custom flooring for part of the main floor of my house. But not sure yet what I'll do with it. I laid a bunch of concrete tiles over some gravel I had so I have a place to let it dry for a couple years. I look forward to this a lot!

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Those look really good. Remarkably little cupping from what I can see.

I have a friend with a portable mill. I have a couple of black cherry trees we're going to take down and mill to about 1" thick slabs. These trees are massive, about 30 inch diameter at the base, and they're both about 70 feet tall, and they are arrow straight. There is going to be a crazy amount of lumber from this, and I'm considering making into custom flooring for part of the main floor of my house. But not sure yet what I'll do with it. I laid a bunch of concrete tiles over some gravel I had so I have a place to let it dry for a couple years. I look forward to this a lot!

That pic is from last year. I haven't taken new pics yet....but everything I stick the moisture meter into says it's dry.

There is a significant amount of cupping on a few pieces. Haven't had time to dig into the stacks quite yet with everything that's been going on the last couple of weeks, and I figure it's better to leave them strapped until I get a planer.

But, I guess it's time to figure out what my nightstand plans are gonna be, since that was the whole point of all of this. Oldest hasn't moved out yet, so I've still got time to whip these up.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
So, with all that in mind, I have all this rough cut lumber. Most of it is significantly wider than the normal 12-13inch planers on the market....hell, that's why I needed the 36" chainsaw bar.

How do I go about evening this shit out? Do I need a jointer first, or can I just buy a thickness planer and go from there?

And what the fuck am I gonna do with this 20" wide shit? Just rip it down, run it thru and then glue it back together? Seems like a waste. I dunno if there's any of those nifty woodworking shops around here with the huge planers like in the Blacktail Studios videos.

I will go out tonight and see if investing in a 13" planer even makes sense....most of the shit might be too wide for it.

Burns

So, with all that in mind, I have all this rough cut lumber. Most of it is significantly wider than the normal 12-13inch planers on the market....hell, that's why I needed the 36" chainsaw bar.

How do I go about evening this shit out? Do I need a jointer first, or can I just buy a thickness planer and go from there?

And what the fuck am I gonna do with this 20" wide shit? Just rip it down, run it thru and then glue it back together? Seems like a waste. I dunno if there's any of those nifty woodworking shops around here with the huge planers like in the Blacktail Studios videos.

I will go out tonight and see if investing in a 13" planer even makes sense....most of the shit might be too wide for it.
You can use a router. There was a decent video of a guy making a rather expensive bed frame and using a router to plane his very wide headboard glue up. I can't find it now, but it might have been posted here. Edit: Found it, posted below.

I would first try calling/e-mailing around, looking for a local mill/shop that has a large enough planer and will charge you a small fee to run them through.

These videos look decent for setting up the a router to do the job:

Edit: The bed frame build was buried in my bookmarks (his router set up starts right after the intro):

Last edited:
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

whoo

<Silver Donator>

What's the closest big city to you? Any large hardwood dealer or millwork shop will have an industrial planer or planer/belt sander. You can usually get them to process slabs for a fee.

Also, another technique if they arent too badly warped is to rip them in half longways, use a smaller planer, and glue it back together. If you can keep the seam to 1/8" or less, you usually cant tell it was cut as long as you line up the grain.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
You can use a router. There was a decent video of a guy making a rather expensive bed frame and using a router to plane his very wide headboard glue up. I can't find it now, but it might have been posted here. Edit: Found it, posted below.

I would first try calling/e-mailing around, looking for a local mill/shop that has a large enough planer and will charge you a small fee to run them through.

These videos look decent for setting up the a router to do the job:

Edit: The bed frame build was buried in my bookmarks (his router set up starts right after the intro):

Dude, thank you for this. This is exactly what I was hoping for. I really don't wanna buy a jointer and a planer... especially ones that aren't wide enough to do the fucking work. I don't own a router, but it's on the list of tools I need, so why the fuck would I not do this?

Absolutely fantastic, thanks for this.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Dude, thank you for this. This is exactly what I was hoping for. I really don't wanna buy a jointer and a planer... especially ones that aren't wide enough to do the fucking work. I don't own a router, but it's on the list of tools I need, so why the fuck would I not do this?

Absolutely fantastic, thanks for this.
I’m not advocating or endorsing this, but if you’re disinclined to make the router sled yourself, there are turn key options available like this one:

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Yeah call around. Even small shops that sell quality lumber will have an oversized planer, and they usually don't charge much to run your stuff through.

• 1Like

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
So I just replaced my old single-speed pool pump in the interest of energy savings. The old one worked fine and I now find myself with a spare 1.5 hp 3450 RPM motor. Anyone have good ideas for a Mattias Wandel-style shop project for the motor? Thinking maybe a big dust collector?

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I used this bit to flatten a few boards that were wider than my jointer and planar, worked pretty good. Even installed it the right direction.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
I’m not advocating or endorsing this, but if you’re disinclined to make the router sled yourself, there are turn key options available like this one:

Nah, I will totally make it myself. Hell, I built the chainsaw mill myself too.

And people told me I could bring it somewhere and get it milled too, but that's not the point...the point of the whole operation was to turn a tree into heirloom furniture for my kids, with my own hands. This gives me the option to do it entirely myself, and once I build the jig, it will run easy and quick.

Im sure I could find a place to plane it, but it's a lot of lumber to haul out to do it, and they're all varying sizes right now. This lets me customize everything and do it all at my own pace. Its an awesome solution, I'm gonna buy a nice router and get cracking.

• 1Solidarity

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
These are 3 of the 4 stacks, 4th is pretty hard to get a good pic of due to where it is. There's definitely cupping in the middle, but all in all, not too terrible.
IMG_20230602_201731831_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230602_201804787.jpg
IMG_20230602_201818425.jpg

I gotta get plants in the ground this weekend, but hopefully with next weeks 3 day weekend, I'll have time to get a router sled built, and then I'll take the straps off and see what I'm looking at. I figure no reason to let it sit and warp outta the stack.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users