Woodworking

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Yeah. I have some projects in stained pine that turned out fine, but it's got to be all pine. The uneveness of the stain would look terrible next to real walnut.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
Compromise and do oak. What you really want is cherry tho.

Screenshot 2023-04-23 at 22-27-33 Puget Sound 3D Custom Topographic Map Coffee Table Carved La...png

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
There’s nothing there you couldn’t do and haven’t already done based on everything you’ve shown in this thread and how far you’ve come in a short time!

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
So how does it look with just Pine?
The simple bench I made on the first page of this thread is stained pine. It doesn't have that buttery smooth look look of high-end furniture, but it's fine if you're ok with a more rustic aesthetic.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I did a coat of a pre-stain on the pine table I made a few years ago and didn’t get any blotches when I applied a light brown stain. Maybe the blotches would be more apparent if I went for a darker walnut color though?

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Easy and cheap: If you want easy, and you have reasonably chunky legs where they meet the aprons, you could use pocket screws.

Easy, not cheap: find a used Festool Domino DF500. They are $600 new, but it's an instant tenon machine thats almost foolproof. Think dowels but square and better. If you can get ones used in good working condition for $300, it would be a good solution. The floating tenons are about 60 cents each and made of beech. They come in different sizes.

Cheap, not easy: learn to cut mortise & tenon by hand. All you need is a tenon saw, 2 chisels, and a #4 hand plane. All can be had at garage sales/ebay.

Free (maybe?) : depending on your CNC, if you can rig up a vertical clamping station within the XY area of the machine bed, you could cut M&T.

Good luck!
Saw this thing randomly on my YouTube feed. I guess it's cool there's a poor man's option, but looks like more of a pain in the ass than just using dowels.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Saw this thing randomly on my YouTube feed. I guess it's cool there's a poor man's option, but looks like more of a pain in the ass than just using dowels.

Internet arguments aside about dowels vs. dominos, at least the domino being a loose tenon allows you flexibility and a little movement to get your alignment down while still providing some benefit to strength.

Jessem has their POCKETMILL system which made the usual rounds on YouTube recently. It seemed like an interesting alternative to Domino and not a replacement.

Rockler also has the Beadlock system which is even less expensive up front.

Everyone keeps says that the patent exclusivity for Festool will be running out soon and the market will be flooded with actual alternative versions. But I've been reading that for like 5 years it seems.

Wow, thanks for reading my posts bro... thanks.

Get Out Whatever GIF by Brimstone (The Grindhouse Radio, Hound Comics)

• 2Worf
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Well, either this firewood moisture meter I bought is straight Chinesium, or this walnut is dry.

IMG_20220722_205910256.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Figured I'd start by seeing if I could sell some of the less desirable pieces, which will help finance the planer to do the other pieces and see what we get.

Also, I have 2 absolutely massive Ash trees in the back (bigger than the walnut was) who have unfortunately succumb to the borer. I was really hoping to not spend another summer slinging a chainsaw.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Here’s a question for you chain sawyers out there - I’ve got a hand me down stihl ms 261 that runs great but stretches chains way before I think they should be hitting their end of life. For example, I barely get to the point to where I have to touch the raker height before the chain can no longer be tightened onto the bar. I’m very good about keeping the chain oiled and sharp.

I’m gonna try replacing the rim sprocket and getting a new bar to see if that fixes the preemptive stretching issue. Any other suggestions on what could be causing the stretch?

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Hopefully this doesn’t blow up browsers since I’m posting on mobile…

Just wanted to show that even after years of using a table saw what stupid mistakes you can make when you’re rushing and distracted. Luckily this was about the “safest” of stupid mistakes.

78346D1D-CBEA-4BE3-AE71-4733EC4749DD.jpeg

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users