Woodworking

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
If shipping wasn't a billion and 1 dollars I'd offer to buy a couple and we could all make our own FoH projects!

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
If shipping wasn't a billion and 1 dollars I'd offer to buy a couple and we could all make our own FoH projects!

I put a bunch of the end slabs (so half round) up on FB marketplace for $20-$30. GF says thats too cheap, but I want em gone. If I can get $200 for what I've got sitting in the garage, that and a $100 Menards rebate check buys a really nice router and materials for a router sled.

Then we start making the real $$

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
On a different note I have a side project I was trying to wrap up before surgery on Tuesday which I won't be able to finish.

But, I used undermount drawer slides for the first time. While the learning curve was a little more difficult initially they really went in very nice and easy.

Next time I'll definitely cut out the drawer notch on the table saw while building the drawer backs. This time I did it after assembling with my dovetail saw and chisel. Also really nice that they have a ton of adjustment capability in case you need to tweak things by 1/16th or so.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
This router sled project is getting outta control!

IMG_20230618_161602214.jpg

My workbenches are 24x60 and I needed a flat surface at least 34 wide by 62 long to accommodate all of the slabs I have. I figured that was a lot of cutting, so fuck it...4x8 sheet.

Gotta grab a 2 inch hole saw on my way home from work, then I can finish cutting out the hole on the bottom of the sled itself, and then we should be in business here. Interested to see how this is gonna go.

The nice thing about building up your tool supply and working on all these various projects is shit goes much faster. Think it took me most of a day to build my other work benches, this was a couple hours including the run to Menards.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I want to make a YouTube channel called “Shititani Furniture” where I try to remake everything he does. Only it’ll be shitty, because I suck.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
I want to make a YouTube channel called “Shititani Furniture” where I try to remake everything he does. Only it’ll be shitty, because I suck.

Build it all outta popsicle sticks.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Chainsaw surface

IMG_20230625_185903987.jpg

Router surface

IMG_20230625_192211887.jpg

Still have some tool marks I need to work out. I think there's some design flaws in my sled, and I can tighten up the tolerances...but these are 100% sandable if I need to.
IMG_20230625_192216702.jpg

Good thing I've got about another 400 board feet of scrap before I need to get this right! This one I'm sure is destined to be a cribbage board for a dude retiring at work in a couple months.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Chainsaw surface

View attachment 479862

Router surface

View attachment 479863

Still have some tool marks I need to work out. I think there's some design flaws in my sled, and I can tighten up the tolerances...but these are 100% sandable if I need to.
View attachment 479864

Good thing I've got about another 400 board feet of scrap before I need to get this right! This one I'm sure is destined to be a cribbage board for a dude retiring at work in a couple months.

If it isn't super wavy and that is mostly just noticeable under light (obviously you will be able to feel some of it), don't stress. Even some of the CNC machines that I've seen do surfacing leave behind the same marks. And anyone who takes it is going to plane it or sand it down. You could hit it if you want to but I just wouldn't over spend in time and effort vs. what you're going to get out of it.

This is one of my original posts in the thread from using a similar setup and I had the same thing. You could distinctly see those but they were barely noticeable running your hand over them.

That project, by the way, is still in pieces in my new home and new garage! But I have actually done some slight new plan with it to repurpose it.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Well, that's good to know. I'll probably still rebuild the sled and take out some of the things I know are bothering me because it'll be pretty easy to do so, and besides...I'm not just doing one piece here, I'm doing a ton of these things. Might as well try to save myself some sandpaper and some time.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
A pretty good roundup of hard wax finishes:

(tldw; some of new, cheaper finishes seem like much better values than Rubio)

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Okay, so I have been interested in these for a long time. Could you do a floor with these and not use polyurethane?

There's a discussion in the video about floors. tldw; it will look good and repel water and floor finishes rely on the strength of the wood anyway. Don't expect scratch protection. I think Matt Cremona is using Rubio on the floors if his new house? Check his channel.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Redesigned the sled. Working halfway decent now. Only problem is every day I'm off work it's 95° and it's 70 every day I've gotta work. Can only do so much sweating thru a dust mask in a day. Also it's a little hard on the back with all the teaching. But, starting to get the hang of it. That first piece is still about 1/16 off from one end to the other, but it's pretty close.

IMG_20230704_100116702.jpg
IMG_20230704_103546587.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
One of my local wood shops just got a 48" planer. I talked to the owner and he said anything that fits in there goes through for $1 a pass. Unbelievably awesome. They'll do resin filled wood, too, if that's what you've got. He said they got is so people had access to it, don't care if it's making them money, it's bringing people in.

I'm going to have some spare time on my hands upcoming, and I'm thinking of making an oak/resin table top. Just to try.

• 2Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 2 users

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
One of my local wood shops just got a 48" planer. I talked to the owner and he said anything that fits in there goes through for $1 a pass. Unbelievably awesome. They'll do resin filled wood, too, if that's what you've got. He said they got is so people had access to it, don't care if it's making them money, it's bringing people in.

I'm going to have some spare time on my hands upcoming, and I'm thinking of making an oak/resin table top. Just to try.

Yeah, that'd be badass, but I already bought this router, and a 2inch surfacing bit, and built this table, and this sled, so now I'm fucking doing it myself!

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Almost 6 weeks out from my spine surgery and may try to get in the shop tomorrow and finish the changing table. Trying not to overdo it but will have to be careful. Not really a whole lot left to do other than some prep sanding, spraying, putting on drawer fronts and pulls, finishing the top. Most of the "heavy lifting" is finished.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users