Woodworking

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I've never tried the knock-offs. My stuff is Makita and there are plenty of knockoffs on Amazon for less than half the price but I've never had the nerve to try them. They get mostly good reviews with the occasional 1-star "It caught on fire" review. There's not really a brand on most of them, just generic made in China stuff. They have them for DeWalt as well.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I want to make a suspended rocking bench between 2 posts that are 8 feet wide. No idea what kind of mechanism I should use. Chains seem most obvious but be cool if I could use something more like those glider rockers.
Actually NM just going to put a Hammock there.

Last edited:

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Are there decent off brand 18v batteries out there. Specially for my DeWalt drill
I did a ton of research and off brand batteries are really hit and miss. Ended just going with name brand. There is a YouTube guy out there that does testing, his conclusion was the second cheapest is best bang for buck if you in the business of using your tools every day for work, otherwise the name brands are better investment as they will hold full charges for longer periods of time.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I did a ton of research and off brand batteries are really hit and miss. Ended just going with name brand. There is a YouTube guy out there that does testing, his conclusion was the second cheapest is best bang for buck if you in the business of using your tools every day for work, otherwise the name brands are better investment as they will hold full charges for longer periods of time.
Project farm?

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Are there decent off brand 18v batteries out there. Specially for my DeWalt drill

Don't do it. I tried knock off brands for my DeWalt drill and regretted it immediately. They don't hold as much of a charge, don't last, and end up not holding a charge at all within a year.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
For the price of replacements I think I could get a second drill

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Yeah I don't think I'd spend $150 on 18V batteries that will be useless for any new tools since DeWalt has gone to 20V stuff that isn't compatible with the old batteries. Do you have other tools that use those batteries? You can buy a 20v drill with a charger and 2 batteries for $99. They are the baby batteries but if you're just using it around the house from time to time they will get the job done. If you're going to pull the trigger on a new battery system I would switch to Makita personally although that will cost a bit more.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Makita and DeWalt are about equals now. There was certainly a time when Makita blew others out of the water, but that time has past.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
What are you basing that on?

Personal experience. In the early 90s I used Makita exclusively. Then around 2005 I bought a new one. Immediately noticed a difference in the quality and performance. Bought a DeWalt and found its performance a little better than the new Makita. I've been DeWalt ever since. It's really consistent.

Now, that said, Makita remains one of the few companies that hasn't sold it's rights to a larger conglomeration who makes multiple brands. I still feel they no longer stand out.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Don't do it. I tried knock off brands for my DeWalt drill and regretted it immediately. They don't hold as much of a charge, don't last, and end up not holding a charge at all within a year.
it's the luck of the draw w/ knockoffs, projectfarm tested 2 knockoff brands costing half as much as dewalt, one was pathetic and the other was pretty close to dewalt performance.

A5150Ylee

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I bought 2 knockoff lithium batteries for my tools, worked fine for 1 day with a test. 3 months later they were both dead and flashing the 'failure' code on the charger.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
I almost never buy batteries, I just get in on new tools when they have deals where I also get free batteries.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Oh I'm not even close by. However, it would be worth it to a woodworker. To give you an idea -

If it was 18" diameter and 30 feet long of usable trunk. You could get 300-500 board feet of lumber. At retail by me, walnut is $7 ish per board foot. Wholesale about $4. So this would be worth $1200-1500. Theres some labor in milling, and some waste so $1k is a good number, but it'd be a shame to make it firewood if its living and relatively straight. If I weren't 1000 miles away I 'd clean that up for you :)

Now that the snow is gone, I took a run out there.

Tree is 22 inches in diameter. It's 10 or 12 feet to even the first branch on the trunk. It's total about ~35feet high.

Gonna be sad to see it go, but honestly, I'm tired of it killing my fucking tomaters.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I got a good deal on a plunge router. Now I hear getting quality bits is a big deal.

Any recommendations?

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
My brother used my cheap chinese edge trim bit on his butcher block counter tops and i'm not sure what happened but I got the bit back with a 15 degree bend in it and he had some nice bites out of his counter top. Those big routers are scary when things go wrong.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user