Woodworking

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Was going to make a run to the hardwood store and was checking prices, remembered to look at their live edge walnut and they're listing at $16 - $20 bf. No other information on their price sheet about it.

If I'm doing the math right, 2" thick, 30inch wide or so, 3 feet long... probably 16ish board feet, $250/slab.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
If I'm doing the math right, 2" thick, 30inch wide or so, 3 feet long... probably 16ish board feet, $250/slab.
One I found online very comparable to that price. It was something like $400 but “on sale” for $200. But taking in to consideration theirs claimed dried for 2 summers and then kiln dried.

Man I have no idea! Start on the high end and adjust I guess. Maybe a local hardwood place would give you a deal on the lot of them if they have facilities to try it out. Maybe someone on Facebook will pay $500 bc they don’t know what they’re doing.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Well I'll probably keep a good bunch of them. Make coffee tables for friends and shit. As long as I can find a place with a planer wide enough to run it thru, no reason not to.

But, and $250-$500 each, I certainly don't need to sell many to pay off a couple of chainsaws and a bit of lumber needed to do this whole project.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
My wifes old man had like 22 acres in northern lower peninsula MI. Anyway he had a bunch of walnut, oak, maple there he basically milled himself with a saw mill he purchased. But he had a nice tractor he used to move the shit around with. I dont know how many trees he did but I had a shit ton of milled maple he gave me and my brother in law. He might of sold all the walnut. I remember he had a dude come out to his property and mark them all for him to harvest. He used a lot of the maple planks to build a few out houses with, like a huge shed for his wood and then on the other side was a little garage for his kawasaki mule. Anyway just a cool little tidbit I remembered. Hes now dead and the property got sold. It was basically his retirement home and it was too big/pricey to keep as just a vacation type place. Shit I think it was about 3K sq/ft with the finished walk out basement he had. He was not a woodworker and didnt know how to properly dry the shit though. Most of the stuff I I got was warped and cracked.

I kinda wish we kept it because it was fucking perfect. The back of the property his house and the pole barns were on was basically excavated from a sand hill so the entire back of the property was a 10ft tall sand berm he used for his target/shooting range. Also the entire back of his 22 acres was all adjacent to state land. Plus of course the value prob doubled if not tripled since he died in 2011.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
So I've finally got everything cleaned and painted and fixed on my unisaw. All that's left is getting off this damn pully still.
20220803_065927.jpg
20220803_065950.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Went and bought some poplar yesterday. 5.15 bf for 4/4 is getting a little up there. It isn't as ridiculous as what you pay at Home Depot or Lowes. They're almost 15 bf for the same thing. It was almost better to buy cherry common boards at 5.00 bf but all they had was 5/4 and that's a little too wasteful for what I'm doing. Plus it'll be painted anyways. Poplar is a little soft but we'll see how it works out.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
This is going to be an "in flight" project I think lol...

But we want a kennel for the house so I have a sheet of plywood and two 10' boards of Poplar. So quickly put together something in Fusion and had to screw around with the layouts and make some concessions, but I think it will work. Going to start tomorrow and see what happens but may need to make adjustments mid stream.

The kennel section is roughly 45" x 27" x 31". The dimensions are kind of odd b/c I was playing with some constraints of where we want to put it plus it being large enough for the pup. That part doesn't really mess with dimensions too much, more like where I put my divider and then the shelf width. The case is plywood with an inner plywood frame on the kennel part. Then I'll frame the outside in the poplar.

The center divider is janky because I can't get a bottom and two solid panels out of one sheet. But if I split that panel up in to two 15" and join it with the shelf, I can get it all out of one 8x4 sheet and have enough left on the ends to frame out the inside of the kennel.

Found a local Pipe and Supply store and just showed one of the guys my idea and he took me around their warehouse / work floor looking at all their options for 1/2" OD, aluminum, stainless, tube, pipe. They're cutting me 25 pieces of 30" aluminum that should be ready to pick up tomorrow. That'll make up the crate part. Thinking 3.5" spacing on center which will give me 3" between bars. Need to look at that in person though before drilling the holes.

Still need to figure out what to do for the top. Have some Red Oak. Really wanted to do Sapele but it is a little more than I wanted to do, may still do that. Also sort of depends on what we want to paint this thing. No feet or anything, she wants it sitting on the carpet.

1659671831992.png

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
A kennel inside the house? Just get a travel crate. You're not gonna keep the dog kenneled indefinitely, it's gonna be a few months while you can't trust it. Total waste of time imo.

Plus things made out of wood for dog use end up being chewed/scratched thru. Unless there's something I'm missing, doesn't seem like a great idea/use of time.

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
A kennel inside the house? Just get a travel crate. You're not gonna keep the dog kenneled indefinitely, it's gonna be a few months while you can't trust it. Total waste of time imo.

Plus things made out of wood for dog use end up being chewed/scratched thru. Unless there's something I'm missing, doesn't seem like a great idea/use of time.

Yeah, I totally won’t be surprised at any outcome here or have my feelings hurt. Long term it’ll be maybe a good flat surface for the shop after I add some rolling wheels to it.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Plenty of dogs sleep in kennels for their whole life.

Yeah I think it comes from our family who have always had dogs that slept in kennels for their life. Not in the "locked up" sense of the word, but they were trained and very happy going in there to take naps or going themselves when we left the house, etc. Otherwise they had mostly free reign of the place, but when sleep time came or alone time came they knew to go to their kennel.

• 1Like

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
I just always used beds for that purpose. Less work, easier to replace, less footprint.

I will concede that point, however. Dogs came from den animals and some so have that desire. Mine still tries to hide under my desk during 4th of July.

In other news, final log. And the one I hope I don't fuck up the most.

IMG_20220805_093534313.jpg

• 1Like

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Also, go figure I finally git gud at sharpening a chainsaw, that was the fastest cut I've seen so far. Literally hot knife thru butter.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
Also, go figure I finally git gud at sharpening a chainsaw, that was the fastest cut I've seen so far. Literally hot knife thru butter.
Definitely a very satisfying feeling. I felt the same when sharpening finally clicked for me.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
So, this project has finally come to a close. Tree came down May 29th of last year. Fucking work went to complete shit doing covid and that delayed a ton. Any day I wasn't working was either 100° or 0°. I feel like I've still put in hundreds of hours on it.

IMG_20220805_165553.jpg
IMG_20220805_165549.jpg

I also feel like I've made an unbelievable amount of sawdust, but this is the result.

IMG_20220805_164946722.jpg
IMG_20220805_165015164.jpg

IMG_20220805_165110299_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220805_165121012_HDR.jpg

Use every piece of the buffalo, or some shit.

What an exhausting project for one man.

Now I've gotta clean my fucking garage. Dust is coating literally every surface.

IMG_20220805_170034793.jpg

Also...the chain brake on the Holzfforma broke midway thru the last log. I figured since it was on the mill, it didn't matter. But I dunno if I'd recommend it as a $300 saw. Get a parts kit and make it a $600 saw and it's a beast though!

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Yeah I think it comes from our family who have always had dogs that slept in kennels for their life. Not in the "locked up" sense of the word, but they were trained and very happy going in there to take naps or going themselves when we left the house, etc. Otherwise they had mostly free reign of the place, but when sleep time came or alone time came they knew to go to their kennel.
at least train em to be cute when they goto kennel
dog-cage.gif

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Safety recall on DeWalt miter saws. Watch your fingers.

"The plastic rear guard assembly can break/shatter when struck, exposing the saw blade and posing a laceration hazard."

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
Damn. And their miter saws are like $300 to $500 too. Gotta love how much plastic is on them lol. But I kid I have an old craftsman miter saw myself. I couldn't pass up the sale price of $65