Woodworking

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Jointer arrived… going to have to find a way to unpack this thing. Also need the electrician to come by and do the 230 circuit. Would try to do it myself but with Christmas travel, work… Going to end up costing me more than I want because of what is being asked. May as well plan for future growth and make things easier, go ahead and get it done.

While receiving the delivery also took a couple hours to work on the jewelry box. Ran in to a slight issue with the miter splines. What I’m “pretty sure” happened is a few things…

1) The Sapele and Maple that were cut for splines was not as uniform in thickness as assumed (going to be honest and say that a scrap was used and said scrap was assumed to be flat, square, true). That contributed to one spline that didn’t quite fill the cut.

II) The glue squeeze out when inserting the spline hid the fact it was not 100% flush on the recess, so as a result there are two slightly off. Really thought it paid attention to this and cleaned all the squeeze out specifically to avoid this issue.

C) Tried to make the grain direction of the spline match that of the side of the box. Not sure that was 100% and am thinking it would have been better to align it perpendicular. This isn’t for strength reasons, in the case, purely cosmetic and the way flush cutting them worked. Even with sufficient glue, having the grain running along the length seemed to allow for more tear out of the spline while flush cutting. Maybe… not quite sure.

This is what happens with learning by doing. But I’m happy with it. Enough to use it for a present at least. Got the felt in the bottom of the trays. Will do the top and handle tomorrow hopefully.

Probably have to resize tomorrow, phone pics post large.

View attachment 446917
What is the electric work being done and what does it cost? I put in an entire new subpanel in the garage, along with 240v for my table saw, when I moved into my house in 2021. I did it all on my own, so I know it's probably not up to code. It's done 'properly', but the spacing of outlets and pipe brackets are probably wrong. Stuff like that. I just really didn't want to go through the hassle of permits, etc, but I'm kinda scared if something were to ever go wrong, my home owners insurance would screw me.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
What is the electric work being done and what does it cost? I put in an entire new subpanel in the garage, along with 240v for my table saw, when I moved into my house in 2021. I did it all on my own, so I know it's probably not up to code. It's done 'properly', but the spacing of outlets and pipe brackets are probably wrong. Stuff like that. I just really didn't want to go through the hassle of permits, etc, but I'm kinda scared if something were to ever go wrong, my home owners insurance would screw me.

The existing sub panel in the garage/workshop is full and has 1 position for the 230 that runs the table saw, and 4 positions for 120 / 20A that runs the outlets in the shop as well as electrical to the bonus room above the single car garage/shop. The existing 230 is on the “west” side of the garage.

The jointer will be going on the “east” side with only two 120v receptacles.

To get 230 over there I can

A) Either pull out the existing panel and replace it, and pull out the dry wall to run a new 230 to the east wall, then put everything back together. I’d prefer to not do this because of disruption to the existing shop and walls and having to basically empty the whole shop.

B) The alternative is the main house panel is right outside the garage in the corner on our deck. It has room to add a new 230 position but will require redoing some tandem breakers in there and reorganizing stuff. But all within the panel. Then come off that panel down below the deck and run conduit to the east side of the shop and come in through the exterior wall right where I want the new outlet(s). That run is approximately 32’.

Effectively the sub panel in the shop and main panel for the house are back-to-back, just opposite sides of the shop wall.

The quote for B is about $900 which I think is robbery but if I’m impatient then it is my own fault. I can provide diagrams if necessary 😝

whoo

<Silver Donator>
The existing sub panel in the garage/workshop is full and has 1 position for the 230 that runs the table saw, and 4 positions for 120 / 20A that runs the outlets in the shop as well as electrical to the bonus room above the single car garage/shop. The existing 230 is on the “west” side of the garage.

The jointer will be going on the “east” side with only two 120v receptacles.

To get 230 over there I can

A) Either pull out the existing panel and replace it, and pull out the dry wall to run a new 230 to the east wall, then put everything back together. I’d prefer to not do this because of disruption to the existing shop and walls and having to basically empty the whole shop.

B) The alternative is the main house panel is right outside the garage in the corner on our deck. It has room to add a new 230 position but will require redoing some tandem breakers in there and reorganizing stuff. But all within the panel. Then come off that panel down below the deck and run conduit to the east side of the shop and come in through the exterior wall right where I want the new outlet(s). That run is approximately 32’.

Effectively the sub panel in the shop and main panel for the house are back-to-back, just opposite sides of the shop wall.

The quote for B is about $900 which I think is robbery but if I’m impatient then it is my own fault. I can provide diagrams if necessary 😝

I recently learned that they now make half size 240v breakers. To make more room in the panel, you can replace 2 standard 240v breakers with the half sized ones and free up 2 slots in the panel. I made room for a whole panel supressor and 3 new 230v circuits by doing that - worked great.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I recently learned that they now make half size 240v breakers. To make more room in the panel, you can replace 2 standard 240v breakers with the half sized ones and free up 2 slots in the panel. I made room for a whole panel supressor and 3 new 230v circuits by doing that - worked great.

I'm definitely going to suggest that when he comes out. Thanks.

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Only had a second to snap a couple of pictures.

Still need to do the top but that'll be before Christmas since we're going out of town this week to family for early celebration. This will be for my wife and she loves pink so I wanted to use some bright felt on the inside. Was hard to find a full pack of either color but there was as sampler that had one of each (and like 15 other colors). It looks cute in real life, the contrast works a little better than it does in picture.

Based on a JKM YouTube I saw. Had Sapele and Maple scraps from other projects.

1670816202899.png

1670816273487.png

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Actually a decent simple gift idea for the non-ebook luddites in your life. I'm going to make one for my dad.

25393.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Goatface

$40k sander plus $10-17k dust collector

dude gets on my nerves a bit, but does do some interesting things.

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I was waiting for the catch thinking… yeah that is about every day ending in Y. But you’re right, it is like ASMR or those videos of people cutting hedges.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I haven't even done anything productive lately except work my new job and travel. Taken me over a month to even set up the new jointer and just today felt motivated to set up the dust collection.

The right branch feeds the jointer, center the floor sweep, and left is utility. It'll mostly live on my planar since I moved it to that side of the shop. I did mil up a bunch of poplar today to use on our sons bed build that should be continuing tomorrow. Worked pretty well though. Happy to finally not have to move hoses and connections between three different devices.

1673755229329.png

Drawers are sitting off to the side of the sketch lol, forgot to move them in after building each component.

1673755401333.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
That desk is on my bucket list to make one day when my abilities increase by infinity times. My grandfather had a very similar one and I can remember sitting at it as a kid playing with the small drawers, organizing letters in the slots, folding the desk down.

That’s cool stuff. Very jealous, in a good way.