Woodworking

whoo

<Silver Donator>
Im bored, excuse the verbal diarrhea :

The hard part with 12' ceilings is that its hard to fill up the top 6-8 feet of airspace with warm air before it starts getting cold again. If you cant do that, you'll never get warm assuming youre standing on the floor. 30x20x8 is 4800cuft. That's a lot of warm air volume to heat before your head starts to warm up. And since heat rises, it wants to get out through the ceiling. Garages/workshops are not usually well insulated and lose a lot of heat. AC is easier.

I don't want to be the Akkkshuallly guy. I just don't want to see disappointed forumbros and wasted money unless you really just want to work in the cold and go warm your hands every so often by a little heater. If heating the shop reasonably well is more than just a "nice to have" then you need 48k BTU in climate zone 5 (like Oregon) and 32500 in zone 2 (like TX/FL). If you do this with electricity, it will be 30-50 amps and wont come from anything you plug in to a 120v outlet. Propane is ideal for this.

Something like this would probably work and isnt too expensive $200-$300: https://www.lowes.com/pd/DEWALT-DEW...Portable-Forced-Air-Propane-Heater/1001045892

I doubt it puts out 68kbtu as it claims, but if it actually does half that, it should be ok unless you live in the dakotas /michigan UP etc.

Thanks for indulging me. My dad's family business was hvac engineering. I grew up helping do all this stuff. I'm not a current tradesman, but I was licensed in the past.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

whoo

<Silver Donator>
Oh FWIW, I still recommend Reznor Rihl50. No sketchy ventilation questions. $1000. Maybe $850 if your local propane company sells you installation.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
My shop is insulated and drywalled. It's actually sealed up better than the house is, which might as well be swiss cheese. The high ceilings are why I haven't actually put something in yet, because I figure it's going to take a biggun to overcome the height in winter. And I'm only out there for 8 hours a week tops in the winter. I don't want to leave something running all the time, and I don't think the energy efficient ones are going to heat it up quickly when I decide to wander out and stick some boards together.

I'll try the propane stuff first I think. Not much $$ to give it a shot.

Attachments

• PXL_20240115_040255430.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240115_040255430.MP.jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
My shop is insulated and drywalled. It's actually sealed up better than the house is, which might as well be swiss cheese. The high ceilings are why I haven't actually put something in yet, because I figure it's going to take a biggun to overcome the height in winter. And I'm only out there for 8 hours a week tops in the winter. I don't want to leave something running all the time, and I don't think the energy efficient ones are going to heat it up quickly when I decide to wander out and stick some boards together.

I'll try the propane stuff first I think. Not much $$ to give it a shot.
It also depends on how tolerant to cold you are. Can you handle it being ~50 degrees? I've used a regular ol' cheap-ish electric heater to bring a 3 car garage up to low to mid 50s, when it was in the high 20s outside.

Similar to this, but 2005-10 technology (would go out, pull the cars out, and turn it on when I got up, then a couple hours later it was fine to work in):
2024-01-15 00.55.25 hips.hearstapps.com 35a31329fdec.png

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I've heard that those oil heaters are kind of a scam because they say 1500 watts but they all overheat if you set them there so they will do 1500 watts for about 10 minutes before they start to overheat and then throttle themselves back to like 600 watts for the rest of the time you have them on. If it is warm enough for you there's nothing wrong with that and it will save you money, but if you really want max heat from a standard electric outlet you're better off with one of the new ceramic 1500 watt heaters.

I have a couple of these that I like quite a bit.

713qeOE71XL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I'd almost forgotten what it was like to deal with small businesses. I saw this shooting plane grip on Rob Cosman's shop and thought I'd give it a try having just jacked up a finger squaring boards. Ordered, and then 15 minutes later got a phone call from Rob himself thanking me for my order. It was quite unexpected to hear the YouTube voice on my phone.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I know its a bit more work but there is always the wood burning stove. I have one in one of my 2 pole barns up in northern mi and it does quite well in heating the whole 30x40 area. They are quite efficient too. if you dial them in. Of course there is a bit of ramp up time, but thats with all heating solutions.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
I've heard that those oil heaters are kind of a scam because they say 1500 watts but they all overheat if you set them there so they will do 1500 watts for about 10 minutes before they start to overheat and then throttle themselves back to like 600 watts for the rest of the time you have them on.
Yep

• 1Like

Burns

If yall are talking about the picture I posted, I didn't realize it was an "oil heater." I was using a cheapish electrical heater that you plug into the wall, that I got from my grandparents house when they died. It was just the same size, shape, and color as the picture.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
If yall are talking about the picture I posted, I didn't realize it was an "oil heater." I was using a cheapish electrical heater that you plug into the wall, that I got from my grandparents house when they died. It was just the same size, shape, and color as the picture.
That kind has oil in it that the electric heater warms up and radiates out. They are considered really safe from a fire perspective, they just don't put out as much heat as they say they do a lot of the time.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Too much talking at the beginning, but if you skip to about 10 minutes in this guy has a pretty cool saw.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Pretty good idea that I hadn’t seen before for using super struts as calls

IMG_7021-compressed.png

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
My neighbor has one of these in his two car shop garage and it works pretty well. I want to say his is a little bigger though? I was going to grab one last year but never made it out to Harbor Freight. Kind of glad I'm out of commission this winter so I don't have to worry about heating the shop. Although I did try to grab some spray adhesive last week for son's Lego table and the Lego baseplates, and that car was kaput.

View attachment 509234
I have that one. It is trash. Costco sells one that is highly rated.

• 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
On heating spaces - A church I work for has a big sanctuary, probably seats 750, and has a 35 foot high ceiling. If you just turn the gas furnace on it takes about 2.5 hours to get from 58 to 70. If you turn on the ceiling fans to push the warm air down, it takes about 30 minutes. Most people don't think of the benefits of ceiling fans for heating, everyone just think ceiling fans are for cooling. If you keep pushing the hot air that rises to the top of the room down, everything warms up a lot faster. People also think it's weird to put ceiling fans in a workshop or garage. If you work in that space (in either summer or winter) you're doing yourself a favour.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
When I put a chamfer on one corner of the leg and put hanger bolts in, so I need to make sure the chamfered face snugs up tight against the bracket? Or it's ok (or preferred) to leave a gap and just let it snug up to the aprons?

PXL_20240127_201426503.jpg

1706386656209.png

Palum

what Suineg set it to
When I put a chamfer on one corner of the leg and put hanger bolts in, so I need to make sure the chamfered face snugs up tight against the bracket? Or it's ok (or preferred) to leave a gap and just let it snug up to the aprons?

View attachment 511472

View attachment 511473
Ideally you chamfer the corner of the leg and it snugs to all 3 so it has three points of contact. If you do it the way you describe it's held together by tension alone, rather than the bolts just resisting the movement of the leg.

Surface Mount Corner Brackets for Table Aprons https://a.co/d/htmjA20

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
If it goes together like that I'd say you have the wrong sized bracket for your table leg.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I took Palums advice and shifted the way they line up a bit. I'll have a flat surface to try to flush up with the bracket. Let's see if I can actually do it right though.

Just burned up another spindle. I didn't notice one of the bracket screws wiggled loose and dropped the spindle while it was running. I caught it within about 10 seconds, but still too late.

Burns

This sucks. His main channel is now converted to crypto scam shit.

Wonder what the play is here. Empty his YouTube account of all it's money, then redirect to some crypto YouTube channel to rub it in his face?

Otherwise, how would anyone expecting to go to his woodworking channel, only to see Ripple (crypto pumpers?) redirected videos, give any money/clicks to those people? It's not like it's autoplaying for views or anything. The only thing they currently have on the channel that is unique to it, is some live stream from the Crypto people, that I don't see streaming on the Crypto YouTube channel itself:
2024-01-29 14.53.33 www.youtube.com bf8183eb119f.png

Ripple Live stream page, for reference:
2024-01-29 14.58.48 www.youtube.com d431d3cfce0b.png

Last edited: