Woodworking

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Actually saw that the other day on this old house channel on Roku and did a quick search. Had never heard of it.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Glulam beams are an upgrade from particles, but they're pretty badass. They'll span 60-70 feet and pound for pound they're stronger than steel.

This is true, and I love glulam, but the size is an issue. If you're spanning 60 feet with glulam that's going to be a big ass beam. It's going to take up way more headspace than the equivalent in steel. A lot of 20th century American churches used them, but they had sufficient height so this wasn't an issue.

An example:

Unit-3a.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Yup. My dad started detailing laminated wood beams in the 60s and their biggest customer were churches. Started at a fortune 500 timber company that had a laminated beam department, then moved to work for a smaller custom company. Then moved onto steel. Maybe 20 years ago I did a stair tower at a water park that was steel but they had two towers and one was wood. My dad did it because he was the only person they could find that had any experience with it and he hadn't done it then for almost 30 years. I didn't understand it. One tower of steel, the other one right there was made of spruce from Washington sent down and they did the work on it LA once there.

This is the Broadmoor Baptist church in Baton Rouge he did before he moved onto steel.

225BroadmoorBaptist_040_COLOR.jpg

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
A thorough testing and analysis of dowel joint strength in different configurations.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Goatface

anyone following the saw stop stuff? friend sent me that today, it is from a couple of weeks ago.
tldr seems to be,
saw-stop, patient 840 will be free, if this regulation passes
other manufactures group, saw-stop has 140 patients on the tech, government can't make us
government, saw-stop great, all you others are evil
saws will cost several hundred more if this passes.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
It'll be interesting to see what comes out of it. Other than the patents on the technology Sawstop seems to be okay with "whatever" liability may come from use. That's in quotes b/c I obviously have no idea or if it is even relevant. Knowing how litigious we are my guess is that there's risk in marketing a safety feature and would happens if it fails. Not suggesting they should be liable in any way. Are Grizzly, Dewalt, Delta and others, as much larger corporations that may be more risk averse, willing to go down the same road?

Also, even with Sawstop's patent it is interesting to me that no one else tried to come up with an alternate but similar technology. Like Sawstop just hit the magic bullet on the way to do this. There's probably others but nothing mainstream.

I wouldn't want a knock off version anyways, again, see safety concerns and risks. And for disclosure I own a Sawstop, so my money is already spent. Just rambling really, trying not to work.

Goatface

It'll be interesting to see what comes out of it. Other than the patents on the technology Sawstop seems to be okay with "whatever" liability may come from use. That's in quotes b/c I obviously have no idea or if it is even relevant. Knowing how litigious we are my guess is that there's risk in marketing a safety feature and would happens if it fails. Not suggesting they should be liable in any way. Are Grizzly, Dewalt, Delta and others, as much larger corporations that may be more risk averse, willing to go down the same road?

Also, even with Sawstop's patent it is interesting to me that no one else tried to come up with an alternate but similar technology. Like Sawstop just hit the magic bullet on the way to do this. There's probably others but nothing mainstream.

I wouldn't want a knock off version anyways, again, see safety concerns and risks. And for disclosure I own a Sawstop, so my money is already spent. Just rambling really, trying not to work.

bosch tired , but got shutdown.
1711478916148.png

On January 27th 2017, the U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC) ordered Customs to exclude Bosch Reaxx table saws, and cartridges for those saws, from entering the United States, and the ITC issued an order to Robert Bosch Tool Corporation saying Bosch must “cease and desist from conducting any of the following activities in the United States: importing, selling, marketing, advertising, distributing, transferring (except for exportation), and soliciting United States agents or distributors for imported [Reaxx] table saws.” The ITC has now terminated its investigation against Bosch. (ITC Investigation No. 337-TA-965)

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I know someone who got a sawstop *after* she cut off half her right hand with a regular table saw. I wonder how common that is.

• 1Worf

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
I know someone who got a sawstop *after* she cut off half her right hand with a regular table saw. I wonder how common that is.

Probably pretty common.

If Sawstop sold an upgrade kit that you could attach to any table saw, we'd all probably own one. But I'm not replacing my table saw just for that.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Fuck, I just looked at sawstop's prices. I didn't actually pay that much attention to the whole ordeal. I knew about the product, but didn't know you could only get it on their saws. The prices they charge for shit is insane compared to your normal run of the mill homeowner saws.

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>
Probably pretty common.

If Sawstop sold an upgrade kit that you could attach to any table saw, we'd all probably own one. But I'm not replacing my table saw just for that.

Older pdf from 2007-08

Over 30,000 cases a year on average. I remember some woodworking YouTuber going into details on stats but I forget the video.

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>
Fuck, I just looked at sawstop's prices. I didn't actually pay that much attention to the whole ordeal. I knew about the product, but didn't know you could only get it on their saws. The prices they charge for shit is insane compared to your normal run of the mill homeowner saws.
Plus the brake mechanism is over $100 a piece. I mean I hope you aren't triggering one daily, monthly, or even ever but not cheap.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Plus the brake mechanism is over $100 a piece. I mean I hope you aren't triggering one daily, monthly, or even ever but not cheap.

Still cheaper than an ER visit. I know a guy missing part of his hand from a table saw. When I upgrade from my jobsite saw I'll get a sawstop (or equavlent) and consider it money well spent. It'd be one thing if they didn't work, but since they do I think a few hundred bucks is reasonable woodworking finger insurance.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
They're free replacement for real event unless they changed policy recently. Though you can lose them to dumb stuff like nails in reclaimed lumber, green wet PT, etc.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Goatface

don't watch enough of John Malecki channel to know how he has tripped so many, but he has a collection
1711575240373.png