World of Warcraft: Classic

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
I dunno, just looking thru the guild recruitment posts on Reddit wow classic, I literally haven't seen an ad for a pve guild.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I dunno, just looking thru the guild recruitment posts on Reddit wow classic, I literally haven't seen an ad for a pve guild.

There's quite a few as far as I can see...

The PvP guild ads do outnumber PvE by a good margin. I'm sure people just want to get the maximum classic experience and feel like open world PvP is part of that.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Carebear servers always had a stigma attached to them. It may have been because pvpers would shit on them publicly and loudly or it may have been because a large amount of people playing mmos back then were UO/DAoC/SB players. I for one don’t remember anyone giving two fucks about the pve aspects of the game before it came out, it was always about the pvp.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
PvE servers will probably have larger player pools this go round. I still don't quite get why the PvP servers at release were so popular, maybe because it was coming off the heels of PvP MMO releases like Shadowbane? Even as someone who never considered playing on a PvE server at all and only ever played PvP servers it still strikes me as odd that a large portion of the playerbase preferred PvP servers.

WUT. Yeah, wanting to wage war against the opposite faction in a game called World of Warcraft is so strange

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
It was strange to me at the time because a lot of people were switching from EQ which had a much higher population of PvE server players than PvP.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
It was strange to me at the time because a lot of people were switching from EQ which had a much higher population of PvE server players than PvP.

Aren't you the guy that drank mayonnaise out jars or some shit?

• 2Worf
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 2 users

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I think the bluebies went to pvp servers due to perceived lower pop of pve servers.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
WUT. Yeah, wanting to wage war against the opposite faction in a game called World of Warcraft is so strange

The problem with "War" in Warcraft is that you can't win. You fight over the same three BGs over and over, there is absolutely no progress or story behind PVP. It is utterly irrelevant. As a proper PVP game player, I don't enjoy curated grinding PVP with no goal. You can't capture anything in contested zones (so what exactly is being contested here?) and even if Horde wins 100 consecutive Arathi Basins, nothing ever changes there. Even plowing into a capital city and killing the leader is irrelevant.

So no, you're not waging war. You're just dicking around.

• 1Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 1 users

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think the bluebies went to pvp servers due to perceived lower pop of pve servers.

There were a couple of factors that made PVP servers attractive for "bluebies".
1. Death was irrelevant. Especially no equipment damage PVP deaths were utterly irrelevant.
2. WoW was advertised as a PVP game. EQ never was a PVP game. They just gave the PVP players a few Zek servers so they'd shut up.
3. Instanced dungeons, realm based allegiance and large safe zones meant that you were untargetable for PVP a lot of the time. If you didn't want to deal with PVP, you simply went to some dungeon inside your own factions territory.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sabbat

Trakanon Raider

I thought it would have been obvious that a large majority of players actively playing WoW were not EQ veterans. 150k EQ players vs. the "In the United States, it sold 1.4 million copies by August 2006." numbers. I'd be willing to bet that there was a shitload of people that had played Warcraft 3, and the interest had come from there. Initially, sure, there would have been a bunch of EQ players in the game, but not over 50k at the most.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
I came from EQ and didnt give a shit about PVP but rolled on a PVP server because it really made no difference. I got ganked maybe 20 or 30 times while leveling and after that it was an occasional skiemish on the way to a raid.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I think most of the guilds that dominated classic raiding were on PvE servers. Seems like in BC it was a big trend for alliance PvE guilds to reform as Horde on PvP servers.

Dinadass

Molten Core Raider
I think most of the guilds that dominated classic raiding were on PvE servers. Seems like in BC it was a big trend for alliance PvE guilds to reform as Horde on PvP servers.
I don’t believe that’s true but I can’t be assed to compare the list of naxx40 clearing guilds to a PvP/pve server list.

Having the honor system with buffed 1.12 itemized pvp gear but no battlegrounds (for several months potentially) is going to make PvP servers a fucking headache this time around, way worse than retail was or any of the private servers have been.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I don’t believe that’s true but I can’t be assed to compare the list of naxx40 clearing guilds to a PvP/pve server list.

Having the honor system with buffed 1.12 itemized pvp gear but no battlegrounds (for several months potentially) is going to make PvP servers a fucking headache this time around, way worse than retail was or any of the private servers have been.

D&T was on a PvP server but Naxx40 was one classic raid. The other 3 raids were mostly killed first by Fury, Conquest and Afterlife which were all on PvE servers for sure.

Dinadass

Molten Core Raider
8/10 of the first naxx40 clears were on PvP servers, I don’t think many people really care about MC/Ony/BWL/ZG since they’re trivial and the game population and servers evolved a lot throughout vanilla.

I mean, don’t get me wrong, I was on a PvE server and my guild was a top 50 worldwide guild in TBC and would have been in vanilla if we had formed earlier, but I know from racing for tbc progression that PvP servers were over-represented and late vanilla was the same.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Tichondrius had 3 Alliance guilds and I think maybe 1 Horde guild clear Naxx in vanilla. There was definitely a lot of pve on one of the bigger pvp servers.

I didn't even consider I might like raiding at all when I started playing WoW. I quit EQ in beta because I thought the pvp was garbage and had real life shit going on anyways. I did actually consider WoWs pvp to be too carebear at the time but there was still plenty of fun to be had if you just let yourself have fun.