World of Warcraft: Classic

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
I'm not working right now. I have plenty of time. I'm just not going to spend it trying to compete with a bunch of neckbeards who think getting level 60 in 3 days is some great accomplishment.

A lot of people commented on Beta's progressive level caps as being a positive thing. It's a trade-off: the downside is taking away the level races from the autists but you gain people actually using the low and mid level dungeons and a community that is less splintered. (this is important for group oriented games like EQ, which WoW is not really) Hardcores are going to make alts anyway so they might as well level them up at the same time.

The idea I had planned to do for a custom EQ emu that I abandoned due to not finding anybody to assist in administration or development, was to have soft level caps that are unlocked by one-time raid events such that players would have to communally unlock level tiers. At a level cap, each level above it would cut experience rates by half, so it would be 1/2 1/4 1/8 /16 etc. allowing the crazies to stay ahead somewhat but not too high.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
That's all fine and well but you said something to the effect of them levelling so fast and efficiently is ruining the experience you'd have with classic

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Everyone who levels faster than me is an autistic neckbearded incel and everyone who levels slower than me is a pathetic retarded noob.

• 6Like
  • 4Solidarity
Reactions: 9 users

Shiftyx

Molten Core Raider
I was the first 60 wizard on my EQ server in 2000 and that was after I stopped leveling to play Diablo 2 for awhile. I was also one of the first 60s on Hyjal and the first 60 Horde on Dentarg. And went to bed every night doing it.

This actually brings up the big reason why Classic won't be like the good old days: the players are different. Its a different game when it's spoiled to death and people are min-maxing quest routes to this extent. It really reduces the enjoyment of the game IMO, but it's not avoidable in old game remakes. This is one reason why I'm very in favor of diminishing returns on experience gain in MMOGs. It might save some lives with how the kids are nowadays.

TLPs aren't 'real EQ' to me anyway.

I think you're letting what is likely to be the smallest subset of the most extreme players "ruin" a game in which their playstyle will have almost no effect on you.

In fact, you'll more likely be able lean on the no-life neckbeards in the guild to help improve your more casual or slower paced play. Loot/consume/quest/dungeon help anyone?

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
In a competive game like League of Legends or MTG than the thing you want to do may be shitty/sub-optimal/objectively horrendous thus the things other people are doing may keep you from having a good time. It's tough to imagine an online multiplayer game in which the 1% had less impact on the day to day adventures of an individual wingnut than World of Warcraft Presents Classic. So you're level 31 working on fishing and Naxx goes down. It's not like Method is going to show up on the docks and slap the pole out of your hands.

Also Torrid is a scrub.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
That's all fine and well but you said something to the effect of them levelling so fast and efficiently is ruining the experience you'd have with classic

I said that a large amount of 'spoiling' (subjectively) harms (or objectively, alters significantly) the game experience-- not just speed leveling, but that's part of it, and illustrative of it. When there are google sheets that tell you exactly what gear to get and where to get it at what levels to get it and guides or addons that tell you which quests to grab in what order in what routes to take to each cluster of NPCs before the servers even launch then all of the mystery and choice in the game is lost. It's just gotten to such an extreme level. This is why we need new games instead of remakes.

Ok so you can argue, I can ignore it all and level my own way. It still affects us because this is an MMORPG (with some instancing anyway) which forces interactions with players who do speed through the game, so you compete for resource nodes; get PKed by them; have trouble finding people to do dungeons with because they sped to 60; etc.

I'm still going to play. I said 'reduces' not 'ruins'.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Alright, but you're arguing about this in a thread about the re-release of a 15 year old game.

And I'm trying to imagine the amount of work it would take to release a game with the scope of an MMO with no information ever spilling out prior to launch, and zero external testing of content to prevent spoiling of WIP content and perfect balance of said content.

It's mind bogglingly impossible.

The more complex, detailed, and interrelated game systems become, the less possible this perfect release of a balanced bug free product becomes. It's already as close to the limit of 0 as to make no difference.

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
I was merely clarifying an off-hand comment that people were taking out of context or misinterpreting. TLDR I don't like spoilers much? Of course a MMORPG can't seriously be made with zero spoiling, I'm not making that argument. I just said that 2019 WoW is not going to be quite as fun as 2004 WoW to me because of the amount of spoiling.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
I just said that 2019 WoW is not going to be quite as fun as 2004 WoW to me because of the amount of spoiling.
...ok ...and?

They're rebuilding the wheel, not re-inventing it.

You clearly want a new game.

• 1Like

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Who doesn't want a new game? But the past 10 years have shown us, we're not getting one. Not the type of game we want.

• 3Like
  • 1Truth!
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Yeah no kidding, I mean who wouldn't prefer a new brand new MMO to explore as long as it was more in line with the older experience we all grew to love. This is the best option we have though.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

misery

Bronze Knight of the Realm
If someone told me back in 2004 that I'd be more excited about the same game relaunching in 2019 than any other MMORPG currently out or on the horizon I'd have a pretty hard time taking them seriously.

But here we are.

• 3Solidarity
  • 3Like
Reactions: 5 users

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
You know what I would love to see in an MMO again but it pretty much will never happen with WoW. Is something like raids being determined by faction like in Velious where you could side with the dragons, dwarves, or gaints which determined what you could raid. Imagine having 3 raids in WoW but depending on your choices it would effect what was open to you.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Quaid

Trump's Staff
I said that a large amount of 'spoiling' (subjectively) harms (or objectively, alters significantly) the game experience-- not just speed leveling, but that's part of it, and illustrative of it. When there are google sheets that tell you exactly what gear to get and where to get it at what levels to get it and guides or addons that tell you which quests to grab in what order in what routes to take to each cluster of NPCs before the servers even launch then all of the mystery and choice in the game is lost. It's just gotten to such an extreme level. This is why we need new games instead of remakes.

Ok so you can argue, I can ignore it all and level my own way. It still affects us because this is an MMORPG (with some instancing anyway) which forces interactions with players who do speed through the game, so you compete for resource nodes; get PKed by them; have trouble finding people to do dungeons with because they sped to 60; etc.

I'm still going to play. I said 'reduces' not 'ruins'.

Become one of the fallen!

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
You know what I would love to see in an MMO again but it pretty much will never happen with WoW. Is something like raids being determined by faction like in Velious where you could side with the dragons, dwarves, or gaints which determined what you could raid. Imagine having 3 raids in WoW but depending on your choices it would effect what was open to you.
Maybe I'm retarded but I thought they said battle for dazralor was going to have two different raids based on faction? And that never happened

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider

The idea is cool but in EQ you just kill everything and don't worry about it.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Maybe I'm retarded but I thought they said battle for dazralor was going to have two different raids based on faction? And that never happened

That raid you were both factions. So not really the same style of thing. It would of been cool if they made actual faction specific bosses but what they did was upon logging into the raid you were either a big Human boy or a big Orcy boy and you will X raid bosses then you switched and killed X raid bosses.