World of Warcraft: Classic

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
u31yfocdamg31.png

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Why the dog pile on Noodle because he happens to like a feature of current WoW? LFD for normal and heroic dungeons is just fine, and then make you manually create groups when you get to the Mythic level. I do sometimes wish that base Mythic was also part of LFD, but I agree with noodle that it's a part of the game they designed correctly. Good mix of both LFD and manually making groups.

misery

Bronze Knight of the Realm
No one is dogpiling him, we're being very considerate of his sensibilities. Maybe he's right and dungeon finder is just a small thing to many people, but it's usually the first thing I hear people list as reasons why they quit retail or why the game lost it's community and "soul." I don't personally play retail, so I'm not sure how it works exactly, but I will tell you that personally dungeon finder is on the list of reasons I don't play retail. I do play FFXIV though, and the ability to queue from anywhere with random people and be spit into dungeons really hurts the game from my viewpoint. It's definitely convenient. Bots running dungeons with you is also convenient, and they just added that feature too. I did the entire expansion only joining I think one group for dungeons? The group I joined was found through the dungeon finder of course. I can't remember the dungeon entrance or where it was in the world, and I definitely don't remember the people I grouped with. The loot didn't even matter since you get a much better set of gear at max level from an NPC for practically free. Speaking of convenient, that NPC vendor is pretty convenient. What I'm saying is people keep saying the MMORPG genre is dead and then they don't even try to comprehend why that could be. I'd say convenience is a large factor.

He can like dungeon finder all he wants, but I can also damn well chastise him for it. Especially here.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Tried downloading the 1.12 client, and I admit, i didn't try very hard, but none of the links from the Elysium's website work. The MEGA download stops at 98% and says you've exceeded your cap, so wait 5+ hours, or pay. Fuck that. The Google Drive link has said it's been downloaded too many times. I guess getting onto play a little Classic wasn't in the cards tonight at least.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Tried downloading the 1.12 client, and I admit, i didn't try very hard, but none of the links from the Elysium's website work. The MEGA download stops at 98% and says you've exceeded your cap, so wait 5+ hours, or pay. Fuck that. The Google Drive link has said it's been downloaded too many times. I guess getting onto play a little Classic wasn't in the cards tonight at least.

Get it via torrents, not a filesharing site

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
There's nothing wrong with dungeon finder as a means with which to allow players to easily access obsolete content. When leveling up a new character even if you're stopping to smell the roses you're still getting levels shoved at you as you're dragged from location to location. I don't even have much of a problem with it for normal and heroic dungeons in the current expansion. What I dislike is how much content is "queue for thing."

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Queues of any kind (and LFR for that matter) need to be removed now that the game has an actual useful LFG tool, as well as strict handling of abuse of the tool. It's a great midpoint between mindless queuing and needing to sit in a city to form groups and have it take longer to form than run the actual content.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
"But I like the inconveniences."

"We don't," said the Controller. "We prefer to do things comfortably."

"But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want sin."

"In fact," said Mustapha Mond, "you're claiming the right to be unhappy."

"All right then," said the Savage defiantly, "I'm claiming the right to be unhappy."

Is that from Brave New World?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
No one is dogpiling him, we're being very considerate of his sensibilities. Maybe he's right and dungeon finder is just a small thing to many people, but it's usually the first thing I hear people list as reasons why they quit retail or why the game lost it's community and "soul." I don't personally play retail, so I'm not sure how it works exactly, but I will tell you that personally dungeon finder is on the list of reasons I don't play retail. I do play FFXIV though, and the ability to queue from anywhere with random people and be spit into dungeons really hurts the game from my viewpoint. It's definitely convenient. Bots running dungeons with you is also convenient, and they just added that feature too. I did the entire expansion only joining I think one group for dungeons? The group I joined was found through the dungeon finder of course. I can't remember the dungeon entrance or where it was in the world, and I definitely don't remember the people I grouped with. The loot didn't even matter since you get a much better set of gear at max level from an NPC for practically free. Speaking of convenient, that NPC vendor is pretty convenient. What I'm saying is people keep saying the MMORPG genre is dead and then they don't even try to comprehend why that could be. I'd say convenience is a large factor.

He can like dungeon finder all he wants, but I can also damn well chastise him for it. Especially here.
It's fine. People do dogpile on me because I troll the thread a bit. Everyone can have an opinion. Just, the LFD tool isn't used outside of levelling dungeons. Anyways, I get it. Message received. Enjoy the game

misery

Bronze Knight of the Realm
It's fine. People do dogpile on me because I troll the thread a bit. Everyone can have an opinion. Just, the LFD tool isn't used outside of levelling dungeons. Anyways, I get it. Message received. Enjoy the game

Sorry if I came off a little bit crass. I understand where you're coming from, and to really have a good non-dungeon finder experience you need to have a game that's built around it. There are good aspects to even FFXIV's dungeon finder if you really think about it. New adventurers get to do dungeons with experienced players who have already completed the dungeons so many times they'd never go to the dungeon if they couldn't queue up quick and be rewarded with tokens for it. Many people also love the convenience as well. Especially as they get older. Well, except me. As I get older the only thing I find myself wanting is another challenging MMORPG that doesn't bend to the demands of people who want to take the easy road. I've always said if Fromsoft decided to make a Dark Souls MMORPG I'd be there in a heartbeat. It pains me to see quick fixes replace content that should ideally be designed around community building. Also, like I said, I don't play retail so I'm shooting from the hip regarding it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

LFD is a great tool for the masses. And WoW was definitely a game for the masses. But a lot of people don't mind inconvenience if it builds communities, and LFD is not a good community builder.

You should try classic. This is going to be fun, even if most of us don't last long. There aren't any other mmos coming out for a long time so this almost feels like a new game. And the rush of playing with a bunch of players when a new (or classic) mmo comes out is unique. Can't be duplicated. The next time they release a WoW classic server (assuming they do the EQ prog thing) it just won't be the same.

• 3Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Right? It's actually quite hard to believe that's the official stance.

As much design debate as goes on in these forums, it's interesting that the McMMO critique hasn't reach the halls of Blizzard.

I guess it's not that far fetched that liberal and game-design bubbles coexist and are obvlious to diversity of thought.

The intent of the dungeon queue makes sense yes. But the price it actually costs what is supposed to be an MMORPG is just immense. Yes sitting in Orgrimmar /shout that you're LFG sucks dick. It can take some time to get a group going that might not even be successful at clearing the dungeon you want to do. Which leads to, "wasted" time.

Ignoring that this is a time sink of a genre in and of itself. Blizzard originally designed vanilla such that you can log in and get something accomplished towards your character progression even if you had 30 minutes to play. Which was a massive departure from EverQuest. But they changed the scale of it so much by WOTLK with the dungeon finder. As before it was, oh I can knock out a few quests in 30 minutes, I can get a few skill ups of fishing or something. But then the retards and marketing people get involved with that isn't enough. We can't have gameplay that "wastes" time! Ignoring the player interaction portion entirely.

Then you had McDungeons designed around the concept of being derpy as fuck and completed in 15-30 minutes even with the most retarded of groups. Now we are here.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users