World of Warcraft: Classic

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There’s probably about a half dozen design decisions blizzard made before dungeon finder that ruined the “community” aspect of the game.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Nah, it does need to encourage player interaction over no player interaction however. Otherwise you can just play solo whatever.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Have they commented on the possibility of sustaining this fork? As in, they release expansions but with some of the bad design decisions reversed.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I wouldn't expect them to even discuss this internally before the last phase is live for half a year and still full of players.

imo they should just add Azeroth/Kalimdor zones retuned for level 60.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Have they commented on the possibility of sustaining this fork? As in, they release expansions but with some of the bad design decisions reversed.
At the moment, the only allusion they've made is that they intend Classic to become The Classic Trilogy (aka Vanilla+BC+LK), which appears to be their cut-off point (of course, since you get Cata next).

So I'm expecting you to have exactly BC and exactly LK. Including the 2 difficulty levels with 10/25 splits for 4 raid nights a week.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
It will entirely depend on how well classic does and how many players it retains, pulls in. As I said before with the leadership at Blizzard it still feels like they want this to fail and look at it as nothing more than a nostalgia fad they can cash in on. All of the people who made original WoW are gone from the company and are left with retarded faggot goons from EJ like Ion and all the nepotism hires that worthless faggot brought in behind him. They honestly think they are doing solid work adding Pokémon bullshit, Facebook games, and Diablo 3 team design to this game. They are to smug and arrogant to understand BFA is dogshit and probably have a list of excuses they turn to in order to avoid taking responsibility that they are just loser riding the coattails of better men.

My hope is Classic just knocks it out of the park and these slack jawed fairy faggots are left wondering what the fuck is going on. Then again big Daddy Kotick might see the easy cash grab and say make BC, Wrath, Cata and so on which if they do still leaves us with a solid few years of good MMORPG experience even if it’s rehashed. Maybe by that time some people with drive and talent will make a new MMORPG we will binge on until we are in our 60s.

Right now nothing is on the horizon Pantheon is a scam ran by fools, and the current Blizzard team is so incompetent they could fuck up a wet dream. It will be interesting to see what these dildos produce for Blizcon this year, maybe some more phone games.

• 6Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
The disappointment over whatever Diablo 4 is or is not going to be will be great.

If those leaks were right and it’s us teaming with demons to kill angels because herp derp they need to just mass fire everyone and let the IP fucking die. They canned all the Bliz North folk who made Diablo and Diablo 2 years ago and because of the success of WoW they took a steaming mega deuce on D3 allowing PoE to win all the market share. Going back to a more dark gothic design and the roots of this world that should be in despair on the brink of ruin with morbid horrors at every turn and actual loot that isn’t some main stat bullshit from WoW would do wonders.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I don't think they want classic to fail. But I think what they do want is to do the least amount of work possible on it so they're literally printing money

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
If those leaks were right and it’s us teaming with demons to kill angels because herp derp they need to just mass fire everyone and let the IP fucking die. They canned all the Bliz North folk who made Diablo and Diablo 2 years ago and because of the success of WoW they took a steaming mega deuce on D3 allowing PoE to win all the market share. Going back to a more dark gothic design and the roots of this world that should be in despair on the brink of ruin with morbid horrors at every turn and actual loot that isn’t some main stat bullshit from WoW would do wonders.
They could put D3's story in PoE and I still wouldn't give a shit. I've been playing PoE since 2.6 and I still don't know the full story. I care very little about story in games anymore. It's generally just a horrible medium for telling a great story compared to books and tv/movies.

Rhyker(some of you might remember him as the bearded face of disappointment from 2018 BlizzCon) is starting to get excited and hopeful again. The schadenfreude will be great.

• 1Dislike
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
I think there's a certain degree of interest in Classic's fail from the developers because it spits in the face of their pride. Every expansion they try to reinvent the wheel with a whole new system that's supposed to be new and exciting, which gets dogged on hard as hell by the playerbase for being retarded and unnecessary.

They really need to take that to heart as a signal to normalize the system once and for all - simplify it, and just make it easier to create content. How much testing do you think they have to do on every raid to deal with all the random bs? Then they reinvent the whole player system every expansion? It must be a nightmare to deal with that.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I think there's a certain degree of interest in Classic's fail from the developers because it spits in the face of their pride. Every expansion they try to reinvent the wheel with a whole new system that's supposed to be new and exciting, which gets dogged on hard as hell by the playerbase for being retarded and unnecessary.

They really need to take that to heart as a signal to normalize the system once and for all - simplify it, and just make it easier to create content. How much testing do you think they have to do on every raid to deal with all the random bs? Then they reinvent the whole player system every expansion? It must be a nightmare to deal with that.
I agree.

I'll be honest, I've been considering coming back to BFA to raid with the bros. But then I think of all these new systems they added, the grinds associated with them - just additional layers on the actual game. I'm a big fan of acquire gear -> get better. I don't want to be forced to login every single day else some arbitrary level on my neck will fall behind. If they just stuck with the base game and added interesting content, they'd be back in the #1 spot.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Mythic + scaling raids + cross realm raiding was when they put the nail in the coffin on community.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Well last time I played was this summer, never raided but took a character 1-90 and this is not even the same game anymore. shit dies way to quick, youre in like no risk of dying anywhere while questing. The LFD thing is cool for someone that wants to do a lobby type log on do a few dungeons, log off. But the dungeons are not even dungeons anymore. Especially the later ones which consist of one hallway splitting off 3-4 directions, some trash, mini boss then main boss. they even gutted some of the earlier dungeons that were classics to make them into uninspired 15 min run thorough.

Ryoz

<Donor>
I raided Uldir and BoD and it was fun and challenging but the rest of the game is not. Isle expeds? Not fun. Warfronts? Not fun. Everyone is jizzing over how easy it is to gear all of yours alts with the welfare epics but when the jizz dries friends all you have is geared alts and nothing fun to do except raid.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
The intent of the dungeon queue makes sense yes. But the price it actually costs what is supposed to be an MMORPG is just immense. Yes sitting in Orgrimmar /shout that you're LFG sucks dick. It can take some time to get a group going that might not even be successful at clearing the dungeon you want to do. Which leads to, "wasted" time.

Ignoring that this is a time sink of a genre in and of itself. Blizzard originally designed vanilla such that you can log in and get something accomplished towards your character progression even if you had 30 minutes to play. Which was a massive departure from EverQuest. But they changed the scale of it so much by WOTLK with the dungeon finder. As before it was, oh I can knock out a few quests in 30 minutes, I can get a few skill ups of fishing or something. But then the retards and marketing people get involved with that isn't enough. We can't have gameplay that "wastes" time! Ignoring the player interaction portion entirely.

Then you had McDungeons designed around the concept of being derpy as fuck and completed in 15-30 minutes even with the most retarded of groups. Now we are here.

Humans will always move toward the least painful solution. It's the same phenomenon that keeps families on welfare for generations or hedge fund kids bad people.

When you remove independence and create a system of total dependence of thought, action, effort, etc. you undermine they key layers of the hero: overcoming.

When there's nothing more to overcome, no pain, no inconvenience, no fear, winning no longer tastes as sweet. Sometimes, most times, winning is only as good as losing is bad.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Same shit happened in EQ back in the day. No it was not dungeon finder but we had 100 zones and 20 sprawling dungeons of all types shitting with treasures and yet most poeple stuck to 5 safe outdoor zones to level in. Literally PACKED every day. People will ALWAYs chose the path of least resistance.

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
I miss half a day of reading this thread, and yall machine gun out the replies, so this topic might be two or three pages back, but I wanted to chime in on it lol.

As for a LFD feature being good or bad for a game, first off, I feel that the design of the game itself is the greatest factor in whether it is a good fit or not.

For example, with a game like EverQuest, a LFD tool is just not a good fit overall. The game is designed around the concept of a virtual world you interact in, and the dungeons fall perfect in to that design (at least up through the first five or so expansions). These are large complex dungeons (for the most part) with rare spawn camps (even though SoE never acknowledged camps 0.o), and you are expected to spend many hours in the same group at the same camp playing together. You would never want to do that with a group thrown together via a LFD tool.

In a game like FFXIV, a LFD tool fits in perfectly because all of the dungeons are small linear dungeons with a hand full of boss mobs you battle along the path to the last boss mob. It's a run and gun dungeon design with the intent of only taking 10 to 20 minutes per run. Therefore, the people you get stuck with from a LFD tool doesn't matter too much.

With World of Warcraft, its a little more tricky. Yes the dungeons are linear for the most part, there are no camps so to speak, and you follow the path from boss mob to boss mob until you reach the main boss mob. So, it fits the criteria for a LFD-enabled MMORPG. But... some of the dungeons in the early part of the game weren't really that short. Also, it's supposed to be a living breathing virtual world very much like EverQuest. In fact, it's even more so a virtual world than EverQuest because there are no zone lines (or at least very, very few).

It's almost as if WoW is a hybrid between a virtual world MMORPG and a lobby MMORPG.

There are definite benefits to having LFD, and there are definite benefits for not have LFD. I don't think you will ever get everyone to agree on one way over the other. The question is will Blizzard decide to flip the switch back to a more virtual world MMO after seeing the success of Classic, or not.

I personally think they won't simply based on the fact that they didn't even want to do a Classic server in the first place. I kind of feel like this Classic experience is being created as a one off to say, "here you got your classic, now shut up and buy our next expansion for current WoW". I think that there will need to be major, major success to make a change.