World of Warcraft: Classic

uncognito

Trakanon Raider
Any idea how many months till WSG is released? it is my only reason for playing classic. not sure when I should sub up.
Guessing Ill end up waiting a few months then picking the highest population server for low BG queue times.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
I wonder if Derkon Derkon , Censura, Kay, and the taco brothers are going to be playing classic too.

I asked around and Censura doesn't seem interested at all.

As for myself I might play super casual but eh, not really hype for classic or anything. Doubt I bother with it at launch at least, maybe when phase 3 rolls around. Getting excited to raid MC again for six months or whatever seems silly to me, that shit was putting me to sleep when it was relevant.

Like you, PoE has kind of filled that autistic loot grind need MMOs used to give me.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I asked around and Censura doesn't seem interested at all.

As for myself I might play super casual but eh, not really hype for classic or anything. Doubt I bother with it at launch at least, maybe when phase 3 rolls around. Getting excited to raid MC again for six months or whatever seems silly to me, that shit was putting me to sleep when it was relevant.

Like you, PoE has kind of filled that autistic loot grind need MMOs used to give me.
Yeah. There's a social aspect it's missing. Drunkenly shooting the shit while doing some 5-mans is some of my favorite memories from WoW. PoE doesn't seem built for that.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Yeah the initial gearing up is fun for sure. I still talk to people in Discord and whatnot so I don't miss the social aspect as much.

Last edited:

misery

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Oh, who are some good content creators for WoW Classic? Some youtube content usually helps me get in the mood and up to speed with a game. I really don't want to watch a streamer, I'm not gay.

I find these creators to be the most enjoyable to watch,

Frostadamus (romanian as fuck)
MadSeasonShow (top quality chill and hype building videos)
Ebbnflow (mostly druid stuff)

I'm sure there are a few more I'm forgetting, but the ones I linked will give you enough WoW Classic videos to last forever.

• 1Like

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
We picked a server before the streamers announced their shit. Not that it would of mattered or made a difference. Whitemane is going to be a solid choice.

Right now we have 83 people apped and listed on the roster between raiders and casuals alike. So far it seems like we have a solid showing and I expect there will be some more who show up last minute to play. I expect those numbers to drop off over time as people get their taste of the old game and and either decide it's not for them or they get their fill of nostalgia. Or possibly they get caught botting and banned since we have a good number of those types. Even so we should have a solid core for Classic and we will recruit and set up more as time goes on.

Depending on how things play out we might end up running a main raid and a casual one if the numbers remain high and stable. Another thing that could happen is since Blizzard will be staggering patches between retail and classic we might end up with people playing retail during the lulls in Classic between phases when there isn't much left to do and vice versa.

The truth is someone would bitch regardless of server/faction we ended up rolling on because there are enough of you that there is no reason to even attempt to pretend we are going to please everyone. If a good section of you guys band together and roll some Alliance toons in a central location I am sure you will get some to join you. Same thing if you get a big boner from giving gold to Asmongold for a chance he will say your name roll on Faerlina. My goal in this is to set up a solid guild to enjoy classic if people are rolling with RL friends or the opposite faction by all means have a blast nobody is going to begrudge you for it.

I’m mostly just bemoaning their poor choice in server, since I was hoping they’d roll w us.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I mean friends and family are welcome to join us too.

Oh for sure. The guy rallying the RL group has a brother that’s in a horde guild on Faerlina, so he’s like, “Well I wanna play w my brother.” And I feel like, “I wanna play w FoH.” isn’t as strong an argument haha.

I’ll prob end up maining on Whitemane tho.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Gchat for those unfamiliar with the tone of most people here should be interesting for the uninitiated.

We aren’t that crazy of a bunch really. The only thing I plan to keep out of game is politics since it leads down into rabbit holes best left to these boards and not to gaming. Aside from that I don’t think we will see anything to wild and crazy.

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
To put it another way, they could open up login servers to allow 10 million people to instantly login. This is an extreme version but what would happen?

Things like allocating resources to each player like CPU cycles, memory alloc, and whatever QoS settings need to be applied to each player. The servers would go down for sure. No matter how many servers you have physically (let's pretend they're all co-located instead of worldwide), they'd just go down.

If we imagine the login servers somehow could handle 10M people trying to login at once what would the gameplay experience be like for those in game? It'd be a mass of people all popping in at once probably crashing clients if not crashing servers immediately. Even if they never hit their pop cap on a server, millions of people being added at once on top of people leaving and the process and I/O that goes along with it is going to do unspeakable things to user experience and hardware.

I bet they could handle more than they do, but they want a smooth experienxe for both the user and their hardware

And on that topic, of course they're.gonna start with the minimum hardware for classic. It they over-provisioned servers for launch it would be a waste of money for them. I guarantee this is being monitored very closely and they're provisioning more servers as the pop increases
Oh I'm totally with you on a queue to balance the login load, but that really shouldn't be too much of a limiting factor if active users are spread across multiple "layers". And shouldn't be anywhere near the impact of what it was in 2004 where they didn't have any sort of load balancing in place, given they had no idea the amount of people who would be flooding the servers, nor the tech that exists now allowing them all to be logged in at the same time across a server farm like nearly every MMO post WOW.

Could really have one "server" per game type. They're only splitting those to give some economy balance.

They don't even need to provision anything. It should be dynamic and allocate or dump users to new servers (layers) as more and more users are logged into a single server.

This of course detaches itself from the original vanilla wow experience.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
We aren’t that crazy of a bunch really. The only thing I plan to keep out of game is politics since it leads down into rabbit holes best left to these boards and not to gaming. Aside from that I don’t think we will see anything to wild and crazy.

That's good to hear. Gaming should be an escape from it seeing as it saturates pretty much everything these days.

• 1Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
In game is for game. Politics can be left at the door, there's plenty of places for that to go down here.

Full on anal Thunderfurry only plzkthx.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users