World of Warcraft: Classic

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There's two factors here: not everyone is playing at the same time, and you don't know how many players are allowed on a server before there's a queue in place.

the true question here is: if every player of those 10k moved to Stalagg, would Stalagg be full? And we don't have the information to answer that.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
If you've got a server farm that can handle 10mil active users, the only bottle neck is the login servers. With layering, you're splitting utilization across a server farm, rather than having a single unit handle all of the traffic (and even then, some fancy hardware and code can attenuate this, too). Database lag can be equally distributed across multiple mirrored database farms.

We use backend queues for several things on server farms not intended for mass, continuous utilization. e.g. You push out a product promotion and expect several thousands of users to place orders at the same time, the order system and manufacturing facilities can only handle so much, so they're queued up. Doesn't stop users from placing orders.

Explain to me how a queue benefits the end user here, when tech is available to circumvent and balance active utilization.
I feel like people aren't understanding layering. It's just another instance of a zone - not a different server. It's like.a VM

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
From the perspective of a VM, it could use another processor thread on the same CPU, or spun up on another server. Dunno how they have it coded. Likely the former, given the necessity of a queue.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
To put it another way, they could open up login servers to allow 10 million people to instantly login. This is an extreme version but what would happen?

Things like allocating resources to each player like CPU cycles, memory alloc, and whatever QoS settings need to be applied to each player. The servers would go down for sure. No matter how many servers you have physically (let's pretend they're all co-located instead of worldwide), they'd just go down.

If we imagine the login servers somehow could handle 10M people trying to login at once what would the gameplay experience be like for those in game? It'd be a mass of people all popping in at once probably crashing clients if not crashing servers immediately. Even if they never hit their pop cap on a server, millions of people being added at once on top of people leaving and the process and I/O that goes along with it is going to do unspeakable things to user experience and hardware.

I bet they could handle more than they do, but they want a smooth experienxe for both the user and their hardware

And on that topic, of course they're.gonna start with the minimum hardware for classic. It they over-provisioned servers for launch it would be a waste of money for them. I guarantee this is being monitored very closely and they're provisioning more servers as the pop increases

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Then you should of added more servers day one and given a bit more time before the naming you retarded bastards. You guys cant do a single fucking thing right.

It’s intentional imo.

There’s no better PR than thousands of players stuck in queues because, “So many people are trying to play WoW Classic”.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
where is everyone playing? still trying to decide if i wanna play or not, at this point in my life i jus dont see myself playing 12-16 hours a day like i used to at 16 years old.

Unfortunately, my RL friends aren’t rolling Whiteman bc they decided to troll the streamers on Faerlina. What happened to all the forum tuff talk about doing the same?

Looks like I’ll be doing double duty! And my gf will prob play as well so idk where she needs to roll.

misery

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Unfortunately, my RL friends aren’t rolling Whiteman bc they decided to troll the streamers on Faerlina. What happened to all the forum tuff talk about doing the same?

Looks like I’ll be doing double duty! And my gf will prob play as well so idk where she needs to roll.

I plan on playing Classic for a long time. A lot of those streamers also stream retail WoW or other games. I wonder how long they'll stick around and whether it's a viable long term strategy to roll on the main streamer server to be a streamer troll. I also wonder how long the fans will stick around if their streamer leaves the server or if they become disenfranchised with their streamer of choice. It might not work out well for them at all. There are so many variables. Like what if they go for big streamers, but the streamers spend the majority of their time out of contested areas. You'd have to wait around all day watching their stream until they went somewhere you could kill them. Then you might have to deal with their bodyguards who will inevitably be called the second you start camping them. How many people are rolling on Faerlina just to "troll the streamers?" It has to be a ton. Might even make the streamers reroll onto PvE if it gets bad enough. Eventually a few of the streamers on the opposite faction from you are going to stop streaming the game for reasons and you'll be left with much less of a reason to even be there in the first place. It's also a containment server of sorts for all the streamer fanboys, so we don't have to interact with them outside of cross-realm BGs.

There are upsides to rolling with streamers too, but I will say I'm not feeling any regret for not rolling on the streamer server. (I'd still rather be on an East server though.)

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>

We picked a server before the streamers announced their shit. Not that it would of mattered or made a difference. Whitemane is going to be a solid choice.

Right now we have 83 people apped and listed on the roster between raiders and casuals alike. So far it seems like we have a solid showing and I expect there will be some more who show up last minute to play. I expect those numbers to drop off over time as people get their taste of the old game and and either decide it's not for them or they get their fill of nostalgia. Or possibly they get caught botting and banned since we have a good number of those types. Even so we should have a solid core for Classic and we will recruit and set up more as time goes on.

Depending on how things play out we might end up running a main raid and a casual one if the numbers remain high and stable. Another thing that could happen is since Blizzard will be staggering patches between retail and classic we might end up with people playing retail during the lulls in Classic between phases when there isn't much left to do and vice versa.

The truth is someone would bitch regardless of server/faction we ended up rolling on because there are enough of you that there is no reason to even attempt to pretend we are going to please everyone. If a good section of you guys band together and roll some Alliance toons in a central location I am sure you will get some to join you. Same thing if you get a big boner from giving gold to Asmongold for a chance he will say your name roll on Faerlina. My goal in this is to set up a solid guild to enjoy classic if people are rolling with RL friends or the opposite faction by all means have a blast nobody is going to begrudge you for it.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I'm still hesitant to dive into this at all. PoE *generally* keeps me occupied for 1-2 months during their 3 month content cycle. Aside from the time commitment aspect, rolling on a PvP server is my other main worry, despite playing on BDF with FoH. I am not a fan of world pvp at all, or pvp in general.

None of my friends are playing and I don't really feel like joining a guild of strangers, so it's likely FoH's guild or don't play at all. Is PvP server going to be a mistake for someone like me?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I'm still hesitant to dive into this at all. PoE *generally* keeps me occupied for 1-2 months during their 3 month content cycle. Aside from the time commitment aspect, rolling on a PvP server is my other main worry, despite playing on BDF with FoH. I am not a fan of world pvp at all, or pvp in general.

None of my friends are playing and I don't really feel like joining a guild of strangers, so it's likely FoH's guild or don't play at all. Is PvP server going to be a mistake for someone like me?
The only real time PVP is troublesome once you hit max level is when travelling to dungeons/raids. Blackrock mountain is pretty infamous for pvp and it's home to much of the game's content. I feel the same way about it as you, but I figure I should be able to handle it.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Through the initial leveling push im sure people will concentrate mostly on getting to 60 as fast as possible with the occasional rogue fuckery. But once some peeps become 60 get ready for the gank squads, killing of quest dudes, flight masters being killed, shit that happened regularly on private servers.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Oh, who are some good content creators for WoW Classic? Some youtube content usually helps me get in the mood and up to speed with a game. I really don't want to watch a streamer, I'm not gay.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Not sure who you played as but welcome to join some of us on Fairbanks Deathwing Deathwing we going horde
You were in FoH? I raided with the B-team(that was then cannibalized into the A-team) as Trolloc the druid, starting around Ulduar. Raided a bit on my warrior, Gethol, later on. I quit about halfway through Cataclysm.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Starting to get hyped for this, though I'm not sure how I'll have time for it between EQ and life. And why did it have to come out on the same day as Collection of Mana?

Still leaning Tauren Druid but at this point I'm considering Warrior or Hunter. If the spec that lets Warriors dual-wield two-handers is a thing in Classic, I might do that. I remember that being added a lot later but my memory of it is really hazy. And Hunter might be fun if I want ezmode. Gotta pick one class though, no time for more than that. Druid's the most interesting-to-me class that I haven't played already, question is how versatile/fun it is in Classic.

Keystone

Lord Nagafen Raider
I was yea. Trolloc sounds familiar. I was always some form of Keystone but went from like priest in beta/classic to paladin whenever we got them. And eventually quit and came back a few times as lock/mage.

I assume (and name sounds familiar so probably are) you’re talking about “actual” foh and not the forum guild

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Starting to get hyped for this, though I'm not sure how I'll have time for it between EQ and life. And why did it have to come out on the same day as Collection of Mana?

Still leaning Tauren Druid but at this point I'm considering Warrior or Hunter. If the spec that lets Warriors dual-wield two-handers is a thing in Classic, I might do that. I remember that being added a lot later but my memory of it is really hazy. And Hunter might be fun if I want ezmode. Gotta pick one class though, no time for more than that. Druid's the most interesting-to-me class that I haven't played already, question is how versatile/fun it is in Classic.
That's definitely not in classic. As an aggro-stealing asshole DPS warrior, I'm ashamed to admit I don't remember when specifically that was introduced. I *want* to say it was in beta, removed before released, and wasn't reintroduced until Cataclysm.