World of Warcraft: Classic

Warmuth

Molten Core Raider
I was a top tier hardcore raider for most of Blackwing Lair to Naxxramas 2. I think I missed Naxxramas 1 and Tempest Keep.

It was an epic journey from mild depression fucking up my studies and social life at college, to severe depression living in my parent's attic.

Why the fuck are people excited about this?

Original AV. Of course they’ll do the wrong thing and use a later patch version of it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

Don't forget you have to farm for the book for it from the mega-elite demons in the Blasted Lands!

And Book of Inferno from the (Lower?) Blackrock Spire warlocks!

And the wonky behavior of Enslave Demon, even without factoring in Curse of Shadows.

Ya, they broke enslave pretty easy and it had diminishing returns. I remember me and some other locks convincing the guild leader to let us try them as a means of add control in one of the MC boss fights.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
If you were an offtank or only tanked in 5 mans, that was a perfectly acceptable build. Main tanks have always been Protection, however.
I remember we respeced our tanks(myself included) in AQ40, but shit was really not that useful in MC or even BWL as far as I could remember. Prot had a lot of garbage talents in vanilla and a lot of shit that didn't work in raids like the stun shit(good for pvp though ironically), until it worked for, Huhuran I think it was? Like adds tanking or whatever.

People were anal about respecing for raids too back then because it used to cost a fair amount of gold back then comparatively, and I was playing in PvP oriented guilds mostly so people wanted to stay Arms for BG killing shit since MS was so strong especially on horde.

But yeah once we got to AQ40 it started becoming annoying to have arms tanks so we had people respec for proper specs. And Naxx I don't think I raided in any guild then that had arms tanks still, at that point the tanking requirements were high enough that you really wanted prot(although it might have been 30 only? I forgot what's the 31 skill but I think I remember not taking it).

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
AQ40 and Naxx had Shield Slam as the 31 point for sure, can't remember when that was added. Prot was only truly garbage in the first few patches, but even then it was a much better tank than Arms.

• 1Like

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
Ya, they broke enslave pretty easy and it had diminishing returns. I remember me and some other locks convincing the guild leader to let us try them as a means of add control in one of the MC boss fights.
We would actually use a Doomguard or two in Molten Core for Cripple on Golemagg and a few other bosses, so it did have a little merit, but man it was a pain to deal with the Enslave maintenance. Classic Enslave/Mind Control was 100% EQ Enchanter mes/charm maintenance.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
If you didn't go x/x/31-34 (depending) in Prot as a main tank in vanilla, you were retarded.
Considering shield slam did less threat than heroic strike spam, concussion blow and disarm didn't affect bosses, and your dps/threat was neutered without the added damage from fury/arms talents, going full Prot was statistically a tanking loss.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Going full Prot was only statistically a tanking loss if you don't understand statistics. MS never did more threat than Shield Slam, and HS spam is a terrible way to manage your rage->threat output especially in Vanilla when rage actually had to be managed. The only reason to not go full Prot as a main tank was that you're a whiny baby trying to justify your off-hours PvP experience at the expense of your raiding group.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I main tanked all of vanilla and you definitely went Prot.. not sure what other people are talking about.

Shield Slam was big threat, so no idea what's even going on here.

Not sure what patch this is:
Warrior Talents - Legacy WoW - Addons and Guides for Vanilla, TBC and WoTLK

Also the comments on Fear Ward are funny. Magmadar? Who cares? That shit was for Nefarian bro. You could almost stance dance every single fear on Nefarian, but there were one or two where an offtank needed to taunt. And being horde and not having it, I feel the usefulness of fear ward is a bit overstated.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You could stance dance all of Magmadar's fears, but they weren't telegraphed at all before boss mods. Nefarion's fear was telegraphed, but on a 25 second cooldown so he could use it before Berserker Rage was off cooldown.

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Thing about threat is it only mattered when people were threat capped which didn't happen all that much until fury actually became good, which as far as I remember was around AQ40 too or maybe some point during BWL once people started getting geared there but at that point everything was on farm so it kinda didn't matter. So Shield Slam being good for threat was kinda pointless because threat wasn't really a concern other than Vael, which was its own shit anyway.

Pretty sure that's something like what I was using back then before AQ: Warrior Talents - Legacy WoW - Addons and Guides for Vanilla, TBC and WoTLK

And it wasn't really a big deal, tanking was pretty much never the bottleneck for progression, retarded hunter tranq shot rotations and people exploding the raid with some random shit debuff or idiots forgetting their onyxia cloak before the 25dragon fights in BWL were. We still cleared BWL server first and as far as I remember from back then, we were top 15 world horde side or some shit like that, with most people running pvp specs because we'd often start the raid night by killing the main alliance guilds in blackrock while waiting for the same always late fucks.

xzi

Mouthbreather
It's not just for a demo of an old game...it's also for a shitty cloak and banner!!!

I personally bought it a few weeks ago when it was first announced, cause the blizzcon website has a lot of behind the scenes goodies at blizz ranging from art to development on several of their games. It's really interesting if you're intrigued by any type of dev. You don't really get looks into MMO development ever so it's pretty rare.

Also I had a lot of wow gold to spend so whatever lmao

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Thing about threat is it only mattered when people were threat capped which didn't happen all that much until fury actually became good, which as far as I remember was around AQ40 too or maybe some point during BWL once people started getting geared there but at that point everything was on farm so it kinda didn't matter. So Shield Slam being good for threat was kinda pointless because threat wasn't really a concern other than Vael, which was its own shit anyway.

Pretty sure that's something like what I was using back then before AQ: Warrior Talents - Legacy WoW - Addons and Guides for Vanilla, TBC and WoTLK

And it wasn't really a big deal, tanking was pretty much never the bottleneck for progression, retarded hunter tranq shot rotations and people exploding the raid with some random shit debuff or idiots forgetting their onyxia cloak before the 25dragon fights in BWL were. We still cleared BWL server first and as far as I remember from back then, we were top 15 world horde side or some shit like that, with most people running pvp specs because we'd often start the raid night by killing the main alliance guilds in blackrock while waiting for the same always late fucks.
We didn't really care about threat except with the other tanks and I sort of remember something about threat on onyxia

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Mortal strike + Mace stun talent + Stormherald + second wind + shadowmeld. The "fuck rogues" build. Use their own tricks against them. The fun I had inflicting glorious revenge on fuckers trying to sneak cap towers in AV. Sweet, sweet justice after being instagibbed by them on my mage countless times. Only reason I even made a warrior. Build got nerfed to uselessness eventually but I switched to prot and main tanked TBC and WOTLK on that toon so it wasn't a waste.

• 1Like

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Thing about threat is it only mattered when people were threat capped which didn't happen all that much until fury actually became good

Were you Alliance? Windfury was definitely hard to keep aggro against, and I never got that shit in the tank group.

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Were you Alliance? Windfury was definitely hard to keep aggro against, and I never got that shit in the tank group.
Na horde, I can't really remember threat ever being an issue when I was tanking, until AQ at least. But I think we always had a shaman in tank group though, the guild leader. We had one in every group iirc, and some groups had 2, lots of shamans in our guild.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Screenshot_20180927-154933_Chrome.jpg

This was the first version of Shield Slam. The threat aspect didn't actually work til very late in vanilla, and the damage didn't initially scale with attack power either.

Either way, literally had zero issues with an arms or fury tank taking down any content up to and including Nefarian on both alliance and horde. It was always dps fucking up or not putting out enough.

I do recall early first attempts on Nefarian where the tank was forcibly stuck in fury after berserker rage and having Hawthorne yelling "spam heal the tank!" Ossoi Ossoi - my favorite was polymorphing the tank on that fight. Early on we basically skipped weeks with certain combos, was it black/bronze?

For horde we always had the shaman in the tank group with a our best rogues. The aggro was so strong dps could basically go balls deep without issue. Late vanilla we had gotten MC and BWL down to clockwork, where we could clear both in the same night. Remember it taking 3-4 hours to clear MC initially, then basically pushing that down to less than 40 minutes. AQ40 could take 6 fucking hours, but worked down to about 2, or around 90 minutes if you skipped Vicidus (because fuck that fight without an ass ton of mage and the drops were useless). What primarily kept us from actively raiding Naxx was attunements and late vanilla player fallout. (and also playing on a low pop server)

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Mortal strike + Mace stun talent + Stormherald + second wind + shadowmeld. The "fuck rogues" build. Use their own tricks against them. The fun I had inflicting glorious revenge on fuckers trying to sneak cap towers in AV. Sweet, sweet justice after being instagibbed by them on my mage countless times. Only reason I even made a warrior. Build got nerfed to uselessness eventually but I switched to prot and main tanked TBC and WOTLK on that toon so it wasn't a waste.

Cheat death + slayer's + warglaives era was worse and all but

man did that Stormherald smash so fuckin hard. Prenerf Unstoppable Force is up there too.

Is this gonna come out before Pantheon?

agripa

Molten Core Raider
Raiding was fun in vanilla, I remember cascading other guilds raids because they could not complete mc or bwl. There was a lot of contention the server because of our creative use of ingame mechanics.

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Cheat death + slayer's + warglaives era was worse and all but

man did that Stormherald smash so fuckin hard. Prenerf Unstoppable Force is up there too.

Is this gonna come out before Pantheon?

If it were up to me I would try to drop it a few weeks after pantheon to scoop back anyone unhappy or disappointed.

• 1Like