World of Warcraft: Classic

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
While this could be intriguing... I am not sure if I have the time for it. I would definitely play Alliance though as I've never really leveled an Alliance character.

Were Priests top dog heals back in the day? Only warrior could actually tank right?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Would probably have to be a warrior then. I wonder if they have the old stuff in like undead being immune to rend and bleeds and what not.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
It's important to consider the possibility that the original respec costs are going to be in the game. It made it pretty unfeasible to bounce around specs much. So if you go with warrior and plan to do PvE, you're pretty much going to be stuck tanking unless you luck out and get into a guild that can afford to have a few as DPS. The other non dps classes all have the same issue to worry about. Killing shit on your own as a healer was... not enjoyable to say the least. (Unless you had some weird wand fetish)

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Would probably have to be a warrior then. I wonder if they have the old stuff in like undead being immune to rend and bleeds and what not.

Roll a dwarven priest for the fear ward. Roll a night elf tank for that 1% dodge. Farm that fire resist gear for MC, the nature resist gear for AQ and finally that frost resist gear for the end of Naxx. Fight other guilds for the world bosses (where that nature resist gear you need drops) or farm fucking Maraudon for this shit. Get shoehorned in a class role or find a raid that tolerates that a few of your raiders are dicking around on a feral druid or shadow priest and bring subpar performance to the raid. Be a paladin Blessing of Kings bitch, or a warlock Curse of the Elements cocksleeve for the big dick mages, with added bonus to also be a port bitch. Watch hunters be imbeciles and not bring enough ammo, or when they do it is always the cheap vendor shit. And they refuse to let go of their pet, because that makes it unhappy and they didn't bring food for it. Walk the long walk of shame from the graveyard back to the zone entrance after a wipe because someone was too stupid to walk out of the raid when Garr or Vaelastrasz made them go boom. Or they pulled aggro, because threat meters were a thing back then. When you wish you could strangle half of that 40 man raid, because that half is just filling up the ranks, mostly with girlfriends and wifes, but you need the filler because finding 40 people to raid together at the same time is a logistics nightmare. At most you need a stable core of 10 people who know what they are doing, but 40 show up and demand equal rights to the loot. Except for the four horseman, where you suddenly need 8 geared raid tanks, so you have to steal them from other guilds, because no sane guild geared 8 warriors equally to be tanks.

The more I think about it the more vanilla raiding was a "we didn't know better and it was all we had" nostalgia thing. Call me when they make a Burning Crusade server.

• 4Worf
  • 4Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 9 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
It's important to consider the possibility that the original respec costs are going to be in the game. It made it pretty unfeasible to bounce around specs much. So if you go with warrior and plan to do PvE, you're pretty much going to be stuck tanking unless you luck out and get into a guild that can afford to have a few as DPS. The other non dps classes all have the same issue to worry about. Killing shit on your own as a healer was... not enjoyable to say the least. (Unless you had some weird wand fetish)
What? Every warrior worth their salt still only had 15-20 points in Prot with the rest likely in Arms. The off-tank should likely roll Mortal Strike to prevent the health creep of bosses.

You didn't need that much nature resist for AQ, and really only the tanks needed a little bit, and maybe the rogues. Everyone else was fine without it. Huhuran really wasn't that hard. Having 80-100 Shadow resist was likely more important.

Alliance was and still is a bunch of fags. I'd take a stance dancing tank over fear ward any day. Also, shaman were the best raid healers with that chain heal spam. Not having to deal with Paladin buffing was actually convenient as fuck. Having a disc priest is also pretty valuable.

Had to have a few warlocks, one to buff the tank with an imp (stam buff), one to put up curse of elements, and another for Curse of Recklessness (paired with a warrior spec'd into Demo Shout). CoR was likely only avoided in Nax (Patchwork comes to mind).

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
What? Every warrior worth their salt still only had 15-20 points in Prot with the rest likely in Arms. The off-tank should likely roll Mortal Strike to prevent the health creep of bosses.

You're right. I didn't spend much time at all with warriors in endgame, and forgot about the dip into prot. I was mostly projecting my experience with priest & druid on them. 14 years dims the memory a bit when it comes to this stuff.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Roll a dwarven priest for the fear ward. Roll a night elf tank for that 1% dodge. Farm that fire resist gear for MC, the nature resist gear for AQ and finally that frost resist gear for the end of Naxx. Fight other guilds for the world bosses (where that nature resist gear you need drops) or farm fucking Maraudon for this shit. Get shoehorned in a class role or find a raid that tolerates that a few of your raiders are dicking around on a feral druid or shadow priest and bring subpar performance to the raid. Be a paladin Blessing of Kings bitch, or a warlock Curse of the Elements cocksleeve for the big dick mages, with added bonus to also be a port bitch. Watch hunters be imbeciles and not bring enough ammo, or when they do it is always the cheap vendor shit. And they refuse to let go of their pet, because that makes it unhappy and they didn't bring food for it. Walk the long walk of shame from the graveyard back to the zone entrance after a wipe because someone was too stupid to walk out of the raid when Garr or Vaelastrasz made them go boom. Or they pulled aggro, because threat meters were a thing back then. When you wish you could strangle half of that 40 man raid, because that half is just filling up the ranks, mostly with girlfriends and wifes, but you need the filler because finding 40 people to raid together at the same time is a logistics nightmare. At most you need a stable core of 10 people who know what they are doing, but 40 show up and demand equal rights to the loot. Except for the four horseman, where you suddenly need 8 geared raid tanks, so you have to steal them from other guilds, because no sane guild geared 8 warriors equally to be tanks.

The more I think about it the more vanilla raiding was a "we didn't know better and it was all we had" nostalgia thing. Call me when they make a Burning Crusade server.

I just want to cast deathcoil on people.

• 2Like

Cybsled

AQ40 lets a warlock be a raid tank on Twin Emps!

Viscidious is also nearly impossible for alliance in vanilla because of the freeze mechanic and lack of frost options since no shamans.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
AQ40 lets a warlock be a raid tank on Twin Emps!

Viscidious is also nearly impossible for alliance in vanilla because of the freeze mechanic and lack of frost options since no shamans.
So Alliance didn't have any frost mages? No frost mages anywhere? Also, this was an item for rogues: Frost Oil

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
So Alliance didn't have any frost mages? No frost mages anywhere? Also, this was an item for rogues: Frost Oil
This wasn't just about the frost attacks though, it was also the poison cleansing totem, since he spammed poison aoes constantly and shamans could remove all poisons on their entire party with one totem, versus having to single dispel everything as alliance. The frost stuff was actually kinda low I think, but it helped by not requiring as many mages in the raid to freeze it, while also providing windfury procs to break it faster once it did freeze(since it was hit based, even casters and shit could do a lot more hits with WF procs).

It wasn't a mystery, the fight was a lot easier for horde, but I agree it wasn't "nearly impossible", provided you had enough mages in your guild at the time.

A lot of the fear based fights were a lot easier for alliance with dwarf priest fear ward versus having to actually dispel the fear after they took effect with totems/bloodrage stance swapping which still got the boss to move a bit and shit, and depending on fight shit like blessing of wisdom(for hunters in naxx especially) and blessing of salvation(for fury warriors mostly) also gave alliance a leg up, so overall in vanilla alliance had it easier for raiding, but Viscidus was definitely one big exception. Huhuran was easier too iirc for the same poison dispelling reason, I think.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I played mage alliance up through Nefarian (probably patch 1.8.0, BG queues were added in Ironforge), and rerolled horde as druid up where I played up through and peeked into Naxx. Fear mattered in what, one fight? Magmadar? The importance of Fear Ward is entirely overstated. The tank we had on Horde, Magmadar didn't flinch. Also, weren't undead immune to fear at some point? I just remember so much time wasted on waiting for paladin buffing, before they had group buffs that lasted 10 minutes, one by one, lasting 5 minutes, we had around 10 paladins. On horde we only had one shaman. No idea how that happened, but she was always our top healer by a good 25% (chain heal mechanics were OP mid-late vanilla). I don't really recall having too many issues with AQ bosses up until Ouro. In fact, our tanks and players running with too much nature resist actually made it harder on Huruhan. They dropped those items for their full epic sets with stacked T1/T2 bonuses and we got it the next attempt. Overprepping ended up being a bad thing. We did use a lot of Greater Nature Protection potions (absorb nature damage), but after the second kill we didn't even need pots. I was a healer on horde obviously, so couldn't speak to the importance of salvation -- if my dps spiked on my mage, salvation didn't help me anyway.

Oh, right, Onyxia, too. But again. Our tank on horde was a boss and that big bitch didn't move. Folks running around for a couple seconds didn't matter.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I was a top tier hardcore raider for most of Blackwing Lair to Naxxramas 2. I think I missed Naxxramas 1 and Tempest Keep.

It was an epic journey from mild depression fucking up my studies and social life at college, to severe depression living in my parent's attic.

Why the fuck are people excited about this?

• 3Worf
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

nisser

Trakanon Raider
It's a fun game and quite popular evident by the sheer popularity of private servers. Blizzard's biggest issue will be that a big part of the target audience is just done playing it. I've gone through 3 private servers and I'm not sure I'd be interested in doing it again.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>

Yeah the old days you didn't go into Prot deep at all I think 15 got you everything of importance leaving you to go into Arms or Fury with the remainder.. I think 5/31/15 was one of the best dps/tanking options.

• 2Like

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If you didn't go x/x/31-34 (depending) in Prot as a main tank in vanilla, you were retarded.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I was a fan of 31/0/20 for tank/dps in BGs. Mortal Strike's 50% healing reduction with 2h axes. Being a bear healer on my druid was also pretty ruthless. Really only ever remember having issues with BG geared hunters that had fast hitting pets.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If you were an offtank or only tanked in 5 mans, that was a perfectly acceptable build. Main tanks have always been Protection, however.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
Ritual of Doom roulette would be fun to do again.
Don't forget you have to farm for the book for it from the mega-elite demons in the Blasted Lands!

And Book of Inferno from the (Lower?) Blackrock Spire warlocks!

And the wonky behavior of Enslave Demon, even without factoring in Curse of Shadows.