World of Warcraft: Classic

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Blizzard has proven many times to be adversarial with their patch release schedules, but them worrying about Pantheon in the slightest is unlikely. WoW classic is going to be huge at release thanks to a combination of firsthand and secondhand nostalgia.

Besides, at Pantheon's rate of development classic will be up to WOTLK before it gets released.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Zhro

Silver Knight of the Realm
I am excited to checkout the demo and see if it feels like it did when I started playing this game over a decade ago. Playing on a private server has never really made me feel the same way that I had when I first started up the game.

I somehow got lucky (considering I was just a teenager at the time) and joined a weekly PUG MC raid that was going on and eventually we all formed a guild (Tier Zero on Doomhammer). We cleared Ony, MC, BWL, Twin Emps, Arachnid Quarter and just the first few bosses in the other wings. Of course towards the end many people were taking a break for TBC or just quit and we never got to get C'thun nor clear the rest of Naxx, but that was alright at least I got to see most of the raid content that was out there.

I would like to go back and see about being able to actually kill C'thun as well as full clear Naxxramas.

Early on we basically skipped weeks with certain combos, was it black/bronze?

I don't think I ever recall my guild skipping certain combos for the week. I also feel we had a weird strat(?) for doing Nefarian, in that we ran double Hellfire spec'd warlocks that just stood at the doorways and they would be able to aggro dragonkins constantly and we killed them that way. I also remember when our MT for Nefarian finally hit over 10K HP fully buffed and how we all thought that was insane.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Forget that noise, warrior in a party with 4 (5?) hunters + pets, chain casting battle shout. That shit was on lock down the second it spawned from any location.

I wouldn't mind playing through classic again as another mage, fights like Chrom and the AQ20 dude during fire/frost vuln were always the hilarious moments of our raids. When you could ignite roll to the ridiculous levels, pull agro off the tank and see every mage die immediately.

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
Forget that noise, warrior in a party with 4 (5?) hunters + pets, chain casting battle shout. That shit was on lock down the second it spawned from any location.

I wouldn't mind playing through classic again as another mage, fights like Chrom and the AQ20 dude during fire/frost vuln were always the hilarious moments of our raids. When you could ignite roll to the ridiculous levels, pull agro off the tank and see every mage die immediately.
You make Warlocks with Curse of the Elements sad for not getting any credit. :(

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I don't think I ever recall my guild skipping certain combos for the week. I also feel we had a weird strat(?) for doing Nefarian, in that we ran double Hellfire spec'd warlocks that just stood at the doorways and they would be able to aggro dragonkins constantly and we killed them that way. I also remember when our MT for Nefarian finally hit over 10K HP fully buffed and how we all thought that was insane.
This was September/October 2005, almost on the curtails of Ascent, Fury, and Drama guilds, when we hadn't had enough time to farm Dust to counter the Bronze freeze mechanic. Which happened the week after our first kill, where the week before our first kill was the same, and just fucked us pretty good for several days of attempts the first time we got to him. This is giving me PTSD of raiding from 5pm-3am or later, almost 5-7 days a week, back when I was a lot younger and virile.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
The idea that Pantheon is even on Blizzards fucking radar is laughable. You guys crack me up.

• 6Like
  • 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 8 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
The idea that Pantheon is even on Blizzards fucking radar is laughable. You guys crack me up.

"Are we concerned about Pantheon? Why? Did they give him back his global ultimate or something? I think we can handle a single top laner."

-Blizzard

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
Ever since this was announced I thought the idea of playing vanilla was insane when you think of all the quality of life stuff you would have to give up. But I was reading one of the monthly lack of community stuff that shows up on the wow subreddit. I might give classic a chance just to try getting that back.

Knowing who was good, who was bad, and who was a ninja looting piece of shit. I miss that stuff. I think I would pay a good amount of money to play wrath with server locking and today's UI. That would be my wow utopia. No lfr/lfg either.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So do you have to pay a special fee to access the classic server or did they say that and I just didn't read it?

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
View attachment 177242

I do recall early first attempts on Nefarian where the tank was forcibly stuck in fury after berserker rage and having Hawthorne yelling "spam heal the tank!" Ossoi Ossoi - my favorite was polymorphing the tank on that fight. Early on we basically skipped weeks with certain combos, was it black/bronze?
)

Man, you sure like to point out how bad a player your guild leader was, ya know the person who gave you and 39 others the chance to do this encounters in the first place

Don't know if I've said this before but I was working 8am-6pm UK time, coming home and eating dinner then sleeping 7pm-0000am to login on and lead raids, then going straight to work and having to nap at lunch time.

The biggest soccer match/result of my life was Liverpool in the Champions League final May 2005, it's like the super bowl but more prestigious as it crowns the champion of European champions. Liverpool won after being 3-0 down at half time. I was so sleep deprived that as soon as they won at like 930pm-10pm I couldn't even keep my eyes open any longer

FYI Hawthornes strength was always his ability to do deals/alliances in the background, all the stuff necessary to keep the guild relevant.

This was especially important in a game like early WOW where the cutting edge hard-core players were impatient to do the raid stuff and to keep up with other guilds in the game/on the server, but dependent on casuals,, less committed,noobs and under geared players to fill out the raid parties

And as I'm sure you know, the moment a guild starts getting left behind in terms of raid progression then the bigger the temptation for the well geared players who joined the guild in wow to jump ship and take their gear with them

IIRC a guild rebuild happened at least twice during my time, first taking in a collapsed guild who then jumped to In Excelsis, that was replaced with your intake. Then we had players like Zann and Fogged who got geared up and jumped to DV

I don't think we did too bad considering that the first time we killed the entrance mob to MC was without a full party of 60s, and really every subsequent raid after that had a big imbalance of gear

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Man, you sure like to point out how bad a player your guild leader was, ya know the person who gave you and 39 others the chance to do this encounters in the first place

Don't know if I've said this before but I was working 8am-6pm UK time, coming home and eating dinner then sleeping 7pm-0000am to login on and lead raids, then going straight to work and having to nap at lunch time.

The biggest soccer match/result of my life was Liverpool in the Champions League final May 2005, it's like the super bowl but more prestigious as it crowns the champion of European champions. Liverpool won after being 3-0 down at half time. I was so sleep deprived that as soon as they won at like 930pm-10pm I couldn't even keep my eyes open any longer

FYI Hawthornes strength was always his ability to do deals/alliances in the background, all the stuff necessary to keep the guild relevant.

This was especially important in a game like early WOW where the cutting edge hard-core players were impatient to do the raid stuff and to keep up with other guilds in the game/on the server, but dependent on casuals,, less committed,noobs and under geared players to fill out the raid parties

And as I'm sure you know, the moment a guild starts getting left behind in terms of raid progression then the bigger the temptation for the well geared players who joined the guild in wow to jump ship and take their gear with them

IIRC a guild rebuild happened at least twice during my time, first taking in a collapsed guild who then jumped to In Excelsis, that was replaced with your intake. Then we had players like Zann and Fogged who got geared up and jumped to DV

I don't think we did too bad considering that the first time we killed the entrance mob to MC was without a full party of 60s, and really every subsequent raid after that had a big imbalance of gear
Wasn't calling him bad, that was literally the mechanic timing on Nefarian that I was relating with someone else's comment on. If anything, I didn't realize how bleeding edge we were when I look at the time line of recorded world first's and the dates on my screenshots. Hawthorne did have a certain proclivity for destroying his mice. lol

The server drama on Laughing Skull was notorious. You guys picked me up after Vanquish booted members who hadn't logged in for over a week (I had a hardware failure, fuck me). Ironic given VQ/TR basically had to do combine raids for most of 2005.

In Excelsis had a real cunt for a guild leader, and I knew a couple of their players IRL, who were also big elitest cunts (one player had stolen most of his hardware from CompUSA e.g.). Them and Deus Vox constantly harvested geared players.

Buddy and I ran our own guild second half of 2006, through TBC (on a fucking RP server, whyyyyy). We were one of two guilds that could even get past the first boss of BWL, let alone Nefarian, because there were so few players on that server. I totally get why guild/raid leaders would want to tell people to fuck off and quit.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
In Excelsis had a real cunt for a guild leader, and I knew a couple of their players IRL, who were also big elitest cunts (one player had stolen most of his hardware from CompUSA e.g.). Them and Deus Vox constantly harvested geared players.

Yeah, Terias. I never played beta and during the grind to 60 he told me to drop Druid catform and trying to be a rogue and go some other build, I think it was one where weapon attacks procced some other skill can't remember. Then when everyone was at 60 and doing raid content that's when the rivalry started. I think one of my all time great forum insults was saying that the fat hairy fuck was stuck in Bear Form IRL. They were all ex EQ PVE

The stupidest thing about WoW was not being able to communicate with the other faction, which just meant that interfaction rivalries became bigger than cross faction rivalries - which is stupid in a game set around Horde vs Alliance.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
What was the name of the guild that was banned from MC early in Vanilla b/c they were accused of exploiting Lucifron.

They got pissed and started posting some of the classic raid guides on MC to show how they did their legit takedown of Lucifron.

Fun times!

• 1Like

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
What was the name of the guild that was banned from MC early in Vanilla b/c they were accused of exploiting Lucifron.

They got pissed and started posting some of the classic raid guides on MC to show how they did their legit takedown of Lucifron.
Conquest? But you have to admit, by dumping raid strategies to the public they changed the raiding scene forever. Before strategies were guild secrets, now we have sites like Fatboss.TV

• 1Like