World of Warcraft: Classic

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Said it once I'll say it again - playing this through lvl 30, some small niggles/annoyances aside, vanilla WOW is the best game ever made. To me. So much nostalgia, and such a good, engaging experience.

• 8Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 8 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Said it once I'll say it again - playing this through lvl 30, some small niggles/annoyances aside, vanilla WOW is the best game ever made. To me. So much nostalgia, and such a good, engaging experience.

Our RFK run had a story to it that included some silly pvp shenanigans just getting there. In retail, that story would have consisted of pressing a button, followed by silence.

• 2Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
People said just swim straight out of Menethil toward Dun MOrogh. I tried that, and went as far toward Dun Morogh as I could until Fatigue killed me.
I did the same trek two days ago, and it worked. The trick is not to die to fatigue, but to drown when the zone in the upper right corner says "Dun Morogh" even when you are on the other side of the mountains. Notice how it's done here:

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Our RFK run had a story to it that included some silly pvp shenanigans just getting there. In retail, that story would have consisted of pressing a button, followed by silence.

Yup, I've had like 10 experiences/moments like that since launch that help create a story. That's why it's so great to me - we are the makers of the "story" of our gaming experience in classic. It was lost a long the way, but going through it again it's just as neat and fulfilling as it was in 2004. Having a ball

My wife is starting to slightly get annoyed though haha and I'm not even half way there. My game time will slow down a ton next week so trying to get 40 before I have to be an adult again

• 3Like

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
I'm amazed that they thought it would be a good idea to let people switch layers on a whim, as many times as they want.
I just watched Guzu farm a rare for a weapon, layer hopping. Also Joker used it to avoid Pvp.
That is not the classic I remember.

Yea I saw that Guzu farm, apparently Joker also showed that you use layering to get more black lotus spawns.

misery

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Really not a fan of this recent whack a mole remove you from queue thing that just started happening. I really don't want to have to babysit the queue window all day.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
It's actually refreshing not having to button mash like every class in retail.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dinadass

Molten Core Raider
How do you even switch layers? just get a friend to invite you or something?
Yes, as long as they themselves are on a different layer. Blizz claimed they added an increasing timer each time you switch layers but so far I haven’t seen that. I’m 42 atm and have hopped 3-4 layers in a row for certain quests and to grab rare mobs that have static spawn locations.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Yes, as long as they themselves are on a different layer. Blizz claimed they added an increasing timer each time you switch layers but so far I haven’t seen that. I’m 42 atm and have hopped 3-4 layers in a row for certain quests and to grab rare mobs that have static spawn locations.

How do you know if someone's in another layer and how exactly do you know what you're getting? What if someone just killed that spawn on another layer?

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
BTW, for people wanting to queue early:

If I'm on the road or have to drive home and want to queue early, I'll just tether my laptop to my smartphone and hop in the queue.

Once I get home and I login, I'll run around for a minute, then I'll disconnect WiFi on my laptop. As soon as battle.net disconnects, I'll go downstairs to my desktop and log into battle.net there.

I immediately skip the queue and am in the game from my desktop.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dinadass

Molten Core Raider
How do you know if someone's in another layer and how exactly do you know what you're getting? What if someone just killed that spawn on another layer?
Trial and error. I’m on one of the smaller originally announced servers and there’s only like 8-10 people higher than me, so most out-of-the-way rares haven’t been killed, or maybe were only killed on one layer. I ask my guild for invites when I’m trying to switch layers and if it’s successful, it looks like every mob and corpse near you despawns and respawns.

For instance, the first time I got to northern STV, did some of the quests, and was ready to move on, I took a detour into duskwood and cleared the Defias Enchanter spawns in the southwest farm. Rather than wait 5 minutes for the ~4 mobs to respawn I hopped into a new layer. I rotated between the same three guildies groups and got my Robe of Arcana recipe in like 10 minutes, rather than an hour or longer it would have taken normally (barring extremely good luck) with their 2% drop chance. I’ve sold about 15 robes so far at 2.5g each and this weekend is when a shitload of warlocks are going to hit 30 so the demand is going to spike hard. Cost to make the robes is going to continue to drop too as the AH gets more and more silk and spider’s silk listed. Easy money.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
pretty good shit

1567280336274.png

• 3Worf
  • 1Blown
Reactions: 3 users

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Did a BFD run with Hodj, was pretty good until the PUGs got overconfident from success so far. Wiped twice because they insisted on engaging every single group by rushing in, and then couldn't kill runners in time for adds to agro. Hodj very clearly warned them to stop this or he'll disband the group, which of course had the expected results. Not only did they get angry, they also did the same shit 5 minutes later again. Right outside the door to Lorgus Jett the warrior goes right, the hunter goes left, both agro something. If th
e hunter had agrod 3 instead of just a single patrol, we would have wiped right there.
Hodj does his thing and gone is the group. However they reform and somehow we stay in the instance. So we somehow kill Jett, but then one guy runs in and actives ALL FOUR CANDLES AT ONCE. We wipe, but through serious pathing exploitation we w
hittle down the mess and engage Aku'mei.

And here the Warrior presses BLOOD FURY, doesn't get healed enough anymore and dies. Game over, trash has respawned.

• 4Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 5 users

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Did a BFD run with Hodj, was pretty good until the PUGs got overconfident from success so far. Wiped twice because they insisted on engaging every single group by rushing in, and then couldn't kill runners in time for adds to agro. Hodj very clearly warned them to stop this or he'll disband the group, which of course had the expected results. Not only did they get angry, they also did the same shit 5 minutes later again. Right outside the door to Lorgus Jett the warrior goes right, the hunter goes left, both agro something. If th
e hunter had agrod 3 instead of just a single patrol, we would have wiped right there.
Hodj does his thing and gone is the group. However they reform and somehow we stay in the instance. So we somehow kill Jett, but then one guy runs in and actives ALL FOUR CANDLES AT ONCE. We wipe, but through serious pathing exploitation we w
hittle down the mess and engage Aku'mei.

And here the Warrior presses BLOOD FURY, doesn't get healed enough anymore and dies. Game over, trash has respawned.

Sounds like you got BFA'd

• 3Like

Dinadass

Molten Core Raider
That’s why you don’t pug dungeons. They are stupidly easy if the tank is appropriately leveled and pulls at a good rate and the dps don’t do stupid shit but in a pickup anything goes.

Jox

Molten Core Raider
I'm amazed that they thought it would be a good idea to let people switch layers on a whim, as many times as they want.
I just watched Guzu farm a rare for a weapon, layer hopping. Also Joker used it to avoid Pvp.
That is not the classic I remember.

How do you switch layers by yourself? Genuinely don't know.