World of Warcraft: Classic

Cybsled

Just read about this and that’s not what I mean in the slightest. I’m talking something more like Diablo style gear effects. Gear has actual abilities that compliment your base class ones, creating new gameplay styles or conditional strategic tools.

This Azerite system looks like uncreative +gooder bullshit.

Considering these games live and die by gear grind, that pigeon holes you into what you can do with gear. Remember set bonuses for class gear in WoW? People were using prior tier class gear because the bonuses kicked the shit out of the new ones.

That means you either have to carry the same bonuses into perpetuity on each subsequent gear piece, or you have to make lukewarm shit that is barely an upgrade so upgrading a tier doesn't feel like a nerf. Azerite isn't just +gooder, you'd get some pieces with awesome abilities and then you'd turn down stuff many item levels higher because the bonus from the old shit was still an upgrade over the "better" stuff.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Now I don't mean to imply anything about blizzard's typical customer, but I am curious if they've been through ddos attacks before? Just wondering if they ride them out or have some sort of mitigation plan in place.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Considering these games live and die by gear grind, that pigeon holes you into what you can do with gear. Remember set bonuses for class gear in WoW? People were using prior tier class gear because the bonuses kicked the shit out of the new ones.

That means you either have to carry the same bonuses into perpetuity on each subsequent gear piece, or you have to make lukewarm shit that is barely an upgrade so upgrading a tier doesn't feel like a nerf. Azerite isn't just +gooder, you'd get some pieces with awesome abilities and then you'd turn down stuff many item levels higher because the bonus from the old shit was still an upgrade over the "better" stuff.

You heavily relate (some of) the gear abilities to the encounters & mob abilities found in that content expansion.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Fucking asmond, the dude started off with like 30 gold when the servers went up and now I just see and hes got 150 gold from people just giving him shit, wtf.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well at least I have got some entertainment out of this by reading wow forums for the first time in probably a decade :p That and sheer exasperation at some of the threads on there(people really thought this launch would just be like classic in 04 again and are upset that people hit 60 so fast or cleared MC/Ony so quick..).

Fucking asmond, the dude started off with like 30 gold when the servers went up and now I just see and hes got 150 gold from people just giving him shit, wtf.

Welcome to streamers. I think there a few who refuse gifts and actually pay/grind their stuff, but the majority probably just sit back and are given a lot of their gain.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
Now I don't mean to imply anything about blizzard's typical customer, but I am curious if they've been through ddos attacks before? Just wondering if they ride them out or have some sort of mitigation plan in place.

They've been through a lot of them. Usually a series of them at the beginning every expansion until the more recent ones.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Isn't accepting random gold from strangers a good way to get banned for holding duped/hacked assets?

taebin

Same trailer, different park
This back up yet? Dipped out to watch A&M get thrashed and Serena choke away another major.

Cybsled

You heavily relate (some of) the gear abilities to the encounters & mob abilities found in that content expansion.

That works for an expansion maybe, but then you quickly find yourself mired in having a bank full of situational gear. Basically resist gear or the equivalent of "bane" weapons. Plus, it you fall into a situation where it feels like the time you spent grinding for gear wasn't worth it, because you did it for a gimmick (onyxia cloaks).

There is a big difference from a player psychology perspective on gear that is outdated because something better came out vs. something that is outdated because a developer used a special flag on a boss and further bosses not using that flag makes the gear not useful. The player goes from "time to grind new content" to "fuck the devs and this shit design".

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
This is getting ridiculous. Why hasn't Blizzard rented some temporary servers?

• 1Picard
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 1 users

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Seems like this is going to be an all day or even weekend thing. can get on for 5-10 minutes and back to DC.

I can only hope this person or persons get the same treatment the last guys got who DDoS'd blizzard(and considering they hit twitch-amazon too).

• 1Like

Quaid

Trump's Staff
That works for an expansion maybe, but then you quickly find yourself mired in having a bank full of situational gear. Basically resist gear or the equivalent of "bane" weapons. Plus, it you fall into a situation where it feels like the time you spent grinding for gear wasn't worth it, because you did it for a gimmick (onyxia cloaks).

There is a big difference from a player psychology perspective on gear that is outdated because something better came out vs. something that is outdated because a developer used a special flag on a boss and further bosses not using that flag makes the gear not useful. The player goes from "time to grind new content" to "fuck the devs and this shit design".

I am absolutely NOT talking about things like resist gear or Onyxia cloaks. I’m talking about an expansion having end game encounters heavily tuned around mobility mechanics, or aoe, or cc, etc. Gear that grants abilities based on these factors wouldn’t feel out of date because they’d be useful all over the game world. That’s the whole point.

• 1Like

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Well servers a borked.. time to shit post.

Did you know that replaced the Nicker? It's now called [The Blackrock Slicer]

5439.jpg

Also they changed the succubus you know a literal demon from hell who seduces. sucks & fucks their human host a literal entity of the underworld but a bikini is too risque for 2019 Woke Bliz.

iu

I need my subtle racism and misogyny blizzard. #NoChanges

• 2Worf
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 2 users

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
This is getting ridiculous. Why hasn't Blizzard rented some temporary servers?
The only solution is for blizzard to contact their upstream providers and request null routes from the attacking IPs, preferably by country. But if it's a ddos from compromised dumb devices like thermostats in the US and such not from one country, nothing you can do but wait. It's why it's such a good attack.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider

Lol and then he acts all noble or whatever you wanna call it when someone tries to give him "too much gold." I'm watching because I can't fucking get into Stalagg and it's sad how many people gave him gold. I guarantee you people with 1 gold 56 silver gave him 1 gold. Pathetic. What is wrong with these 35 year old manbabies?

• 1Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users