World of Warcraft: Classic

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
40s dont get much better bro. Especially on overpacked layered servers where every quest node is not only camped by 2-3 other horde but by a few ally added to the mix. Everywhere you go its like this, from STV, Feralas down to Tanaris. It literally doubles or even triples your questing time. I have been EQ camping shit, (sitting and waiting on spawns to tag) its that fucking bad.

It just goes to show how important it is to stay ahead of that horde of people, unfortunately I was away the first weekend, meorial day, so I missed that crucial 3 day span where I would of put in some major hours to stay ahead. So now im stuck in that cusp of the curve where most harder core but not nutso no lifers are 30-50.

Also being a hunter sort of helps because I have instant ranged attacks and a boar with charge which makes tagging a bit easier than some other classes. I can also have my pet tank a few mobs as well so I can tag a few at a time if need be.

Last edited:

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Yeah, they didn't think this shit through. They figured that there would be massive player drop-offs so expanded capacity servers with a plan to drop layering would work. What we're going to get is 15,000 players or so all online at the same time competing for content that was designed for a fraction of that amount.

Another 'classic' Blizzard clusterfuck.

• 1Like
  • 1Truth!
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Jox

Molten Core Raider
Hillsbrad was obnoxious a few days ago, 3-4 mages constantly aoe'ing at the farmers area but none of them being efficient since they only get 4 mob pulls so they sit there forever.

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
People understand the game a lot better now than they did at release and people have been playing it on private servers and watching streamers who know the ins and outs of playing the game. The fact of the matter is the dungeons just aren't nearly as dangerous as most people remember, we were just worse players with less knowledge. But AEing is not zerging, bringing 15 people to strath/scholo instead of 5 is zerging. Rain of Fire and Blizzard do almost as much single target dps as a normal rotation for Warlock/Mage, the downside to them is the mana cost. Back at release you'd never see a warrior tank pulling anywhere near the DPS they do in classic or tanking without a shield in dungeons.

Being able to manage AE pulls and move through a dungeon fast and efficiently doesn't make people "douchebags". As a Rogue your job is to lock down priority targets and try to pump as much ST into them as you can, because there still are priority targets and things that need to be interrupted/stopped. And Rogue is still the king of that job.
I probably didn't word that correctly, so I can see the misunderstanding. I didn't mean to say they were douchebags for wanting to zerg. What I meant was they were douchebags if they kick you out of the group because you are not an AoE class.

• 1Seriously?
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
Desolace was a nice place to level. Had a pop of high when I logged in at 10am est 2 days ago and there were only 42 Horde in the zone on Pagle. Plenty of humanoids for cloth, plenty of animals for skinning. Plenty of good spots for fishing.

Keystone

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yea, everytime i've tried to quest..or aoe I instantly get sick of fighting over shit. Any targetted quest where you need to kill a specific mob ALWAYs seems to have at leave a couple groups of people standing around fighting for tags as of mid 30s.

I already preferred dungeon grinding to normal questing anyway, but with factoring this in it's really not even close at all. Especially given how efficient some of these grind compositions are. I've had a few 2x warrior 2x mage shaman groups now that are absolutely insane good, way more stable than the "spellcleave" shit and probably as much/more dps because stuff stays grouped up easier due to warriors.

I def miss the days of having the time to get ahead of the curve but at the same time at least dungeons keep things playable and make it fun for those of us stuck in the lump of people. (I'm 36 atm)

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I probably didn't word that correctly, so I can see the misunderstanding. I didn't mean to say they were douchebags for wanting to zerg. What I meant was they were douchebags if they kick you out of the group because you are not an AoE class.

Its just the meta of classic wow right now dude. The only way to overcome this is get in on some guild grouping or create your own.

This is all I see in chat spam in every zone... LF good skilled mage for AOE, quick clears.... etc...

Its all AOE AOE AOE, it just goes to show you how OP mages are in mid to late game, except they are so fucking boring to play and level to get up to those levels.

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
Its just the meta of classic wow right now dude. The only way to overcome this is get in on some guild grouping or create your own.

This is all I see in chat spam in every zone... LF good skilled mage for AOE, quick clears.... etc...

Its all AOE AOE AOE, it just goes to show you how OP mages are in mid to late game, except they are so fucking boring to play and level to get up to those levels.
It is what it is man.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Not only the overcrowding but the quest design themselves are a problem on overcrowded servers. the kill quests are fine, just invite some schleps that are there and go to town. Its the bear ass quests with a 1%-10% drop rate and 10-15 mobs with 5 min spawns is the fucking problem.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Meta is meta, even if it's based around nonsense. Forming your own groups/with friends is the only solution to it the same as other meta stuff like the shitty hybrid dps specs. The good news is that anyone that insists on the cleave shit as the only way to play are shit players and are advertising themselves as such. Easier to filter out etc...

• 2Like

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, they didn't think this shit through. They figured that there would be massive player drop-offs so expanded capacity servers with a plan to drop layering would work. What we're going to get is 15,000 players or so all online at the same time competing for content that was designed for a fraction of that amount.

Another 'classic' Blizzard clusterfuck.
and yet judging by this mornings login queue (that is midnight servertime for you people) almost no one has given up yet two weeks into this. I was still looking at a 1200 player queue.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Well its not really nonsense if you think about it. Get 3 good mages, tank and heal, and youre clearing out packs quicker than any other group, right? Metas in games form for a reason. They even have single target dmg too for the boss fights since mage single target is nothing to scoff at.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Well its not really nonsense if you think about it. Get 3 good mages, tank and heal, and youre clearing out packs quicker than any other group, right? Metas in games form for a reason.

I'm not calling the strat itself nonsense, just the obsession with it and its source (YT/Twitch stuff)

• 2Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
and yet judging by this mornings login queue (that is midnight servertime for you people) almost no one has given up yet two weeks into this. I was still looking at a 1200 player queue.

Well some have at least. The queues used to be in the 8-10K range the second week. I guess some have transferred off or quit because now we have 4+K queues in prime time now that are holding steady.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I'm not calling the strat itself nonsense, just the obsession with it and its source (YT/Twitch stuff)

Well im still solo questing and even with the over pop im still getting an average of 1 level per night and on weekends when I get to play longer im getting 2 levels per night. I average about 20K-30K exp per hour. Nothign to write home about compared to dungeon groups, but its a steady 20K+ with minimal downtime and no LFG shit to break it up.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Being able to manage AE pulls and move through a dungeon fast and efficiently doesn't make people "douchebags". As a Rogue your job is to lock down priority targets and try to pump as much ST into them as you can, because there still are priority targets and things that need to be interrupted/stopped. And Rogue is still the king of that job.
No real reason to worry about interrupting stuff or "locking it down" when it's either dead very very quickly or completely immune to stuns / interrupts.

It's just rough when the 1.12 itemization has created a meta that plays to caster strengths with huge damage upgrades via re-itemized gear while being the 2nd best melee in the game and having no aoe/constant cleave.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah speaking of meta, I was creating a few bank alts and shit over the past few days and the noob islands are filled with nothing but mages.

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
Not only the overcrowding but the quest design themselves are a problem on overcrowded servers. the kill quests are fine, just invite some schleps that are there and go to town. Its the bear ass quests with a 1%-10% drop rate and 10-15 mobs with 5 min spawns is the fucking problem.
The other day, I went to kill a named for a quest, and there were other people there which is normal on these servers. We all formed a group, and waited on the name to spawn. Before it spawned, enough people showed up to create a second group. The name spawns, and we didn't get lucky enough to get the first hit. They claimed their prize, and went on their way.

We waited for the next spawn of the named mob. Before it showed up, another group of people came. We again didn't get lucky on the first hit.

The group lost the named spawn three times in a row before we got it.

The good take away from this was that nobody rage quit the group even though we were all strangers to one another. Everyone for the most part kept their cool, and we kept trying. That in and of itself is amazing in this day and age of MMORPGs.

The bad part is that it took four spawns of a name with a rather long respawn time to get what we needed for the quest. Now don't get me wrong here. I do like the idea of the named mobs not being up non-stop, so that is not what I am complaining about. The thing that is bad is the fact that there are so many people crammed in to the same zones on the same layers that you regularly run in to situations where even if you group up with everyone around you, you still have to compete with at least one other group doing the exact same thing.

It's not inherrently bad, but it is a little annoying when a named spawn required for a quest ends up taking a good 30 minutes out of your time to get because your group keeps getting beat out on the first hit.

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
Yeah speaking of meta, I was creating a few bank alts and shit over the past few days and the noob islands are filled with nothing but mages.
Speaking of alts, does anybody know if those they have those items in game that allow an enchanter to put their enchant on a one time use item that can be mailed to your alts? I couldn't remember if that was in Classic or later.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Enchanting Vellums? Don't think those are in classic. Gotta have the item on your alt and use the no-trade enchant slot of the trade window I believe.